For those who haven't seen this problem...

GeneWildershair

GeneWildershair

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 28, 2004
521
0
Bay Area
Tune into Showtime HD west right now! I know it's almost 11pm West coast time, but for those awake, tune in and see the stutters!!! They are so bad, even with just 2 characters on screen just standing and talking it's stuttering so bad! It's even pixelating a bit too. Why is this happening to this channel every night?
 
GeneWildershair

GeneWildershair

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 28, 2004
521
0
Bay Area
The britney concert will be on soon on Showtime HD west. If you want to see the problem, watch just a few minutes of that concert. It's on now on showtime HD east, but looks fine. This is not the case when it is shown on the HD west. I think all the west versions of the premium movie channels are all at least a little bit worse in terms of PQ, compared to the east coast channels. Maybe they are more compressed? Anyways just trying to help VOOM pinpoint these problems.
 
vurbano

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
if you see that britney spears concert you'll pray for a total blackout.
 
A

andrzej

Board Certified User
Supporting Founder
Feb 18, 2004
690
0
Boston subs
vurbano said:
if you see that britney spears concert you'll pray for a total blackout.

Same here. Pixelation is very noticable.
 
M

Mr. Biggles

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 6, 2004
502
0
It's not only pixelation but obnoxious compression artifacts.

Time for V* to drop both E and W feeds and allocate the bandwidth to just one. Preferably the E coast feed since thats where I live. :)
 
GeneWildershair

GeneWildershair

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 28, 2004
521
0
Bay Area
you see this is the same type of artifacting I notice with their regular programming on HD west. It's just not as noticeable
until some heavy action hits the screen, but it is there! Too much compression is what's going on. As I suspected VOOM cannot handle all this HD content. Before they added Encore, and playboy, it was just fine. They need to drop some channels like Moov, Ultra, to give me back my pq with the premiums! And no I don't want them to get rid of the west feed, I like having both!
 
vurbano

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
I think they are implementing Meg4 for sd channels sometime this year. It should take care of bandwidth problems. I think I read mpeg4 for HD next year?
 
GeneWildershair

GeneWildershair

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 28, 2004
521
0
Bay Area
Wilt said he would watch Britney in concert to see the problem for himself. Hope he finally sees what we see. They really need to just compress the hell out of the sd versions of the premium movie channels to free up bandwith for the HD's.
 
V

Videofx

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 10, 2004
242
0
Gene,

Just tuned into SHOWHDWest and stopped watching the Brit concert. I watched if for about 2 min and wanted to throw up. Pixelization every few seconds. Totally unwatchable!!


Bill
 
O

Ominous1

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 8, 2004
53
0
Right now I have Sho-HD through bright house...and the spears concert isn't that good looking on my digital cable either.
 
R

rang1995

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 30, 2003
904
0
Bergen co NJ
turned it on for you, BAD..don't know if it's voom, show -w or the combo of the two..but unwatchable!Britney bad too
 
deeann

deeann

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 21, 2004
297
0
CA
Comcast, just turned it on a few minutes ago. So far okay, but no fast motion to check for breakups (she's singing some la la song in a bathrobe).

Getting some audio drop-outs though.
 
M

Mr. Biggles

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 6, 2004
502
0
Ominous1 said:
Right now I have Sho-HD through bright house...and the spears concert isn't that good looking on my digital cable either.

It would be interesting if it turned out to be a transmission issue with ShowTime itself, eh?
 
GeneWildershair

GeneWildershair

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 28, 2004
521
0
Bay Area
Ominous1 said:
Right now I have Sho-HD through bright house...and the spears concert isn't that good looking on my digital cable either.

well it isn't the greatest HD on showtime HD east either, but it is so much better than the west feed by far! It Breaks up, and stutters like nobody's business.
 
GeneWildershair

GeneWildershair

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 28, 2004
521
0
Bay Area
I don't think this is just a showtime issue guys, as I see this sort of thing, (not as bad mind you) but I see artifacting, and pixelation with fast motions on other HD west feeds too. It's more than likely a VOOM compression problem.
 
E

eschu97611

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 4, 2004
573
0
L.A. CA
Mr. Biggles said:
It would be interesting if it turned out to be a transmission issue with ShowTime itself, eh?
Read some complaints about the concert's pq over on AVS related to D* feed as well-maybe Voom's recent
'hyper-compresion" just makes the problem worse for us on this channel-overall pq on all channels has been affected though lately-it is quite obvious-Wilt-why so quiet on this issue? Can anyone say-"Pandora's Box"-when problem is acknowledged, then its not us its them, and they must fix it, if they can and are even willing.
 
GeneWildershair

GeneWildershair

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 28, 2004
521
0
Bay Area
eschu97611 said:
Read some complaints about the concert's pq over on AVS related to D* feed as well-maybe Voom's recent
'hyper-compresion" just makes the problem worse for us on this channel-overall pq on all channels has been affected though lately-it is quite obvious-Wilt-why so quiet on this issue? Can anyone say-"Pandora's Box"-when problem is acknowledged, then its not us its them, and they must fix it, if they can and are even willing.

Well considering D* gets the east feed of showtime HD, and given that the quality isn't that great on there either, I don't think this is the case. If it stuttered and pixelated this bad on D* believe me you would hear more bitching abou tthe PQ over at AVS. VOOM is compressing the hell out of the premiums, I am willing to bet on it.
 
M

Mr. Biggles

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 6, 2004
502
0
GeneWildershair said:
It's more than likely a VOOM compression problem.

I tend to agree.

Switched over to HBO-E and Star Wars is pristine.
 
E

eschu97611

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 4, 2004
573
0
L.A. CA
GeneWildershair said:
Well considering D* gets the east feed of showtime HD, and given that the quality isn't that great on there either, I don't think this is the case. If it stuttered and pixelated this bad on D* believe me you would hear more bitching abou tthe PQ over at AVS. VOOM is compressing the hell out of the premiums, I am willing to bet on it.
No argument here Jay-for some reason though, HBoHD and Max HD, both east and west look better than StarzHDS and ShowHDS-at least to me that is-"Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm."
 

Similar threads

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Top