FREE 10' mesh SAMI

Status
Please reply by conversation.

olliec420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Pensacola, FL
ALRIGHT!!!!!!!! I finally did it found a c-band close to home for free. Its 5 houses down the road. Funny thing is that house is STILL a wreck after Hurricane Ivan and its on the cover of the local section of our paper today....

Mark O'Brien: Decrepit house on a hill has neighbors down in the dumps | pnj.com | Pensacola News Journal

I saw the owner checking the mail yesterday and asked him if could have it. He said yes and told me they were getting ready finish the rest of the house in about 3 months and were going to tear it down. I've lived here for 25 years (im 25 years old as well heh) and just now thought to stop and ask him. It seems to be in good condition, a little bit of rust but hey what can you do right the thing has been here since the 80's. I will take picture and probably be asking LOTS of questions on how to get the thing taken apart. Im not going to be able to put it up yet i am trying to buy a house so i will store it for the time being. I will take some picture of the dish post later this weekend and maybe that will help yall answer some questions of mine. :) Thanks!!!

SatGuys is the best!!! :up

Be sure to take lots of clear pictures of the mount and the way it attaches to the dish, actuator and the post. This will help when you go to reassemble it! The (ouch) voice of experience (ouch) squeaking -- uh -- speaking there. Also, the feed horn or lnb supports AND THE WAY THE LNB SITS on them. That may save some time getting the alignment started. Again the pain of experience.
ENJOY!
POP

Here she is. :) Looks like it to be a heck of a job, its pretty tall above the ground if i had to guess i would say 10 to 11 ft up, can the panels come off and just be brought down slowly?

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 299
If you can use the tree, remove the 4 or 8 bolts that hold the Dish to the Mount, and with a roap over a limb, lower the Dish down as a whole. Then remove the Mount from the pole.
Hope you have a few friends. :)

umm actually friends, no, you all are my friends... any one want to take a trip to FL? :)

Thanks for the advice there, i think that might work.

Take a look at the last picture does the mount look bent there? i just noticed that. it has been through 30 years of FL hurricanes, ivan, katrina, and dennis to be the worst i can remember.

be careful with the vines they will hang in the mesh and weave back and forth through the mesh. use a pruner or something to trim them clear.

depending on the owner of the dish if they have no problem with it. use a reciprocating saw and cut the pole close to the ground leaving a bit attached and bend it over slowly. it should ease to the ground

:hatsoff: more good info, thanks george!! owner is cool and actually going to end up doing some IT work from him soon. how much should i leave, an inch? what should i pull with? man power or my yukon:devil:?

I knew you guys would know what to do.

:hatsoff: more good info, thanks george!! owner is cool and actually going to end up doing some IT work from him soon. how much should i leave, an inch? what should i pull with? man power or my yukon:devil:?

I knew you guys would know what to do.
Just like George stated, "Remove the vines". I too live in Florida like you, only I live further down state of you, on the "Nature Coast".

Getting back to the point. Remove the vines by cutting them away from the dish. There're too deep in the ground to pull out and too many of them come from the same root that are all over the dish. So if you pull them you might cause damage to the feedhorn. Take your time. You can now see the condidtion of the feedhorn.

Once you are all clear from these vines you can see what you are doing. Then put some WD-40 around the bolts. Put them on the bolts for the actuator and the mount that connects to the support pole. Disconnect the actuator from the dish. Have some help with you on this step by having someone hold onto the bottom of the dish. Once the bolt is disconnecter from the actuator and the dish , the dish will want to swing. It will swing fast too. Thats why to have some help holding it. The dish should be situated perfectly virtical now. losen the bolts on the mount that tighten to the pole. Too bad you are so far up north from me or I would let you use my Dish Crane to get off the dish. Then once it is clear from the support pole you c an take down the dish in two ways. Like Lak7 said, "with a robe over a imb, lower the Dish down as a whole. Then remove the Mount from the pole." Just tie a peice of robe on the mount and have the robe being held to raise it off a couple of inches to clear the support pole then safly lower it to the ground.

Or if you have extra help with you you and raise it yourself off the top of the support pole while your help holds onto each side of the dish to sopport it has it comes down.

Once that is done and it is safely on the ground you can remove the part of the mound that connects to the support pole and the other main part of the mount.
I don't think you will have far to go from that place to a place you are gong to store it at? Leave the dish whole. Thats what I did. You will find that most or all of the bolts are rusted. Replace one section at a time with "Stainless Steel bolts". Count how many bolts, washers, and nuts and then replace with new all around the dish. You will be supprised at how many bolts you thought were still good that turn out to be paper thin in the middle!

Then has George said, "use a reciprocating saw and cut the pole close to the ground". Only now you can use it to cut down the complete pole without bendinf it. You can use that part of the pole to have welded onto another pole. If you have a lot of Pine trees like me you will need a tall pole. You will also have to have it burried deep in the ground too, We're in a "Sandy Soil" State that gets huricanes so you will want it safe by digging deep and having rebarb attached to the pole so it won't turn in the cement in strong winds.

You will no doubt have a ton of questions, ask them there's lots of help for you here that you have at your will. We will try our best to answer them all for you.

Thanks,
Tom

:D

BTW: Ask the owner if he still has the reciever and manual for it.

Thanks Tom! First let me say that is one bad ass truck you have there for your avatar. Im assuming its yours. I love the sound of the turbos on those things! :heart

In the next weekend or so, possibly this weekend Im going to get a friend and get it down because i dont want the construction crew to tear it down not knowing that i asked the owner for it already. Maybe the day before or so i will go spray heavy amount of wd-40 and let it soak over night. Im not sure how to do that though exactly. Those pictures are from my iPhone standing directly under it. It was towering over me pretty good.

Yes you are correct once i get it down I dont have far to move it at all. Attached is a picture of the house im trying to buy right now. Its in a swampy and am wondering how im going to get that installed hehe. The red arrow is the house and the green arrows are possible install points.

I will keep yall posted and take pictures along the way. Thanks again.

Oliver

picture1.jpg

DON'T WAIT and HOPE IT WILL STILL BE THERE!

Thanks Tom! First let me say that is one bad ass truck you have there for your avatar. Im assuming its yours. I love the sound of the turbos on those things! :heart

In the next weekend or so, possibly this weekend Im going to get a friend and get it down because i dont want the construction crew to tear it down not knowing that i asked the owner for it already. Maybe the day before or so i will go spray heavy amount of wd-40 and let it soak over night. Im not sure how to do that though exactly. Those pictures are from my iPhone standing directly under it. It was towering over me pretty good.

Yes you are correct once i get it down I dont have far to move it at all. Attached is a picture of the house im trying to buy right now. Its in a swampy and am wondering how im going to get that installed hehe. The red arrow is the house and the green arrows are possible install points.

I will keep yall posted and take pictures along the way. Thanks again.

Oliver

picture1.jpg
Hi olliec420,
Thanks for the complement on my truck, I love it too.

You say that you would, "get it down because i dont want the construction crew to tear it down not knowing that i asked the owner for it already”. And “In the next weekend or so" in the next weekend or so it might be gone! :eek: :no

I would go over there as fast as you can depending on your time and cut down those vines making the removal of the dish as easy as possible then paint a sign, "DO NOT REMOVE" around the dish, and even perhaps boundaries markings as do not enter area. This is most important to do or else it could be curtains for you if you just leave it up to a construction crew and hope it won’t get damaged. They will bulldoze everything as fast as they can to remain on their schedule and won’t wait for you to get around removing the dish. Better to be safe then sorry, get it out as fast as you can. After you get that done it won’t take you long to spray the bolts that you are going to loosen. :up:hungry:

PM me on your address. There are other things I can say now about installing the dish but that can wait till after you have it, I’ll try to help.

Thanks,
Tom

WD40 is just a water displacer, not a rust buster. Ask around for the best rust buster to use that is aailable in your area. I find KRoil or Marvel Mystery oil available most everywhere in the US, but others here have sworn by some I do not find. I think one in that area may be some thing like PB Blaster.

With all those trees it looks like you could have some line-of-sight issues? The green arrow to the left, from the shadows that appears to be the north side of the house? If so, I don't think you'll be able to "see" much from there.

With all those trees it looks like you could have some line-of-sight issues? The green arrow to the left, from the shadows that appears to be the north side of the house? If so, I don't think you'll be able to "see" much from there.

actually i turned the live maps to show the back of the house, look at the compass rose at the top, that is south. both locals should have a clear view.

If you haven't taken it down yet, you might try using small C-clamps and attached them to the outside ring, this way you have something to hook your cable or rope. I use them to help secure dishes when I have one in the back of my Toyota pickup.

Ok finally got some progress made. Although i couldn't get the vines cut like you all suggested but this is what i got so far. (see attachments) Now everything looks good although i cant get it down because the vines are holding on to the LNB mount. I rocked it back and forth for a while but had to go get in the pool cause anyone from FL knows how hot it was yesterday. So now 2 issues...

1) I got to get it down out of the vines (they are not growing through the mesh

2) There is a hot 120v power cable strung through it going under the lnb and over to a light that comes on at night so basically im going to have to take it apart to get the power cable out.

Attachments

• IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    296.1 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    309.5 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    315.2 KB · Views: 182
Ok finally got some progress made. Although i couldn't get the vines cut like you all suggested but this is what i got so far. (see attachments) Now everything looks good although i cant get it down because the vines are holding on to the LNB mount. I rocked it back and forth for a while but had to go get in the pool cause anyone from FL knows how hot it was yesterday. So now 2 issues...

1) I got to get it down out of the vines (they are not growing through the mesh

2) There is a hot 120v power cable strung through it going under the lnb and over to a light that comes on at night so basically im going to have to take it apart to get the power cable out.
From looking at your first picture I can see all the over growth that has taken place and is taking over the dish! Did you cut the pole (Middle Image) and then try to pull it down with a garden (last picture) hose?

I hope you are having some help with this to take it down.

The first thing would be is to cut the power to the hot 120v power cable.

Look on the ground and cut the vines at ground level.

Pull each vine one at a time and pull away from dish and feedhord. Wear gloves for this as these vines that grow in Florida have pickers on them, and they will often grow and attached themselves to other vines. Pull all of them out one at a time till all is clear.

Now looking at your middle photo it shows that you cut the pole, so have some help (maybe two besides yourself) there before all thew vines are ripped out to support the dish from falling in a way it could get damaged.

Good luck!
Tom

Its going to be tough to get those vines outa there but i will do my best with help for sure! Only problem with the power cable is its not my house and the cable goes inside the house to connect a big metal halide light outside. So i cant really go in here and cut the power to it. Its a cable in good condition but if i could get it to the ground can i take off an lnb arm and take it out through there?

After looking at the last pictures you posted I sure hope your being careful because I could see how having the pole cut more than half for this project could turn really ugly.. real fast. Once you start cutting the vines, that hose is not going to hold the weight of the dish because being top heavy its going to start leaning and will break the remaining metal... by cutting the pole more than half way you've created yourself a danger to you and anyone helping you.
And having the 120 volt power line makes matters worse...you need to disable that circuit at the breaker box before the dish falls and takes it down, you don't want the circuit to short out.
In my opinion the only safe thing to do is to remove the feedhorn unit, unbolt the dish from the mount and let the pipe and mount drop to the ground. Take some c-clamps and rope and secure the dish from coming down, then cut the other vines dropping the dish, lot easier to handle dish by itself.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)