Free DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.
damaged said:
I'm guessing he is a Gwar fan. ;)

nah, actually high school nickname.

So, when I talked to a CSR about pricing, I asked if I could install it myself. I've already got all the connections ready. Did anyone else do this? If I receive it sooner than the installer is scheduled, I'll just do it myself.

Did one of you install yourself and cancel the install? How did you cancel the install?

I just plugged it in to the one line I have. I'll be moving in a couple of weeks so I didn't want to bother having anybody come and install. I just call the installer the day before to cancel (they'll call you a couple of days ahead to confirm instalation). but, as it turns out the installer ended up showing anyway on Sunday but I wasn't home!

scrotus said:
nah, actually high school nickname.

So, when I talked to a CSR about pricing, I asked if I could install it myself. I've already got all the connections ready. Did anyone else do this? If I receive it sooner than the installer is scheduled, I'll just do it myself.

Did one of you install yourself and cancel the install? How did you cancel the install?

I placed my order this past saturday with the install scheduled for this saturday. it arrived yesturday. It is an older philips but appears (atleast outwardly) to be in good shape, very clean, I powered it up and it booted, just cant activate yet because I dont have a phone line. Not bad for 15$ that is for sure. I am really hoping the installer brings one with him as well.

I've just upgraded my "free" DVR from 40Gb to 160Gb. I didn't want to try this on my other DVR because I rely on it so much. This DVR is in a spare room so I could afford to lose it if I screwed it up. It took a couple of trys, but now I have the procedure written down. I also made a backup of the software (without all of the recordings) just in case the drive takes a dump. Now it's time to upgrade my Hughes DVR80!

kryten98371 said:
I've just upgraded my "free" DVR from 40Gb to 160Gb. I didn't want to try this on my other DVR because I rely on it so much. This DVR is in a spare room so I could afford to lose it if I screwed it up. It took a couple of trys, but now I have the procedure written down. I also made a backup of the software (without all of the recordings) just in case the drive takes a dump. Now it's time to upgrade my Hughes DVR80!
Now all you have to do is zipper it and enable MRV so they can see each other. :)

care to share how do you do that?

kryten98371 said:

I just purchased an R10 to replace an sd in my bedroom. I was planning to send in the MIR and end up paying only a few $ for my unit. Should I return the R10 and take advantage of the DVR4ME deal? I already have 1 R10 in the living room and am quite pleased with it.
If I understand correctly, the new unit will up my DVR fee from 4.99 that I pay now to 5.99. Is that true? Also, my commitment is up this month. Will either receiver(local retailer, Dtv) cause me to have to recommit?
Thanks for the info.

cindycrane said:
I just purchased an R10 to replace an sd in my bedroom. I was planning to send in the MIR and end up paying only a few $ for my unit. Should I return the R10 and take advantage of the DVR4ME deal? I already have 1 R10 in the living room and am quite pleased with it.
If I understand correctly, the new unit will up my DVR fee from 4.99 that I pay now to 5.99. Is that true? Also, my commitment is up this month. Will either receiver(local retailer, Dtv) cause me to have to recommit?
Thanks for the info.
If it were me, I would return the new R10 you have as they would stick you with a 2 year commitment with the rebate. Take advantage of the DVR4ME deal and you won't have any commitment. You may also get 2 DVR's out of the deal. :) They are shipping the refurbs and when the installer is coming, giving an R15 aswell. Both with no additional commitment.

Really? So how often do the installers come out with an R15 as well as what I order?

My Hughes refurbished DVR just got the 6.2 update and it's now quite fast!!! :) Even though we're only 3 people in my household and we already have 3 recievers, I'm tempted to get another one for my office!!! :D

tmbstone said:
Really? So how often do the installers come out with an R15 as well as what I order?

I'm waiting to find out! The installer is coming sometime this afternoon!

Nope, just the one that was sent to me. :(

First thing I noticed was how terribly slow the thing was, but, as others have posted, after the upgrade to 6.2 and having it running for a while, it's pretty fast! Not much slower than my old Hughes receiver...

Now it's just a question of whether the 35 hour space is going to be enough, or if I'll have to upgrade it!

tmbstone said:
My installer was at the house on Saturday running an additional line of coax and installing a new R15. Did not even know I had received a Tivo from the deal.

After the installer left, I called in to insure that my commitment was not restarted. I had a commitment that started November when I got my first R15 with the rebate. The person I spoke with said that the computer automatically adds the 2 year when activating and that he would fix it. Well I think he fixed it too well as I think he removed my commitment entirely.

I called in this morning to deactivate the R15. Asked what my commitment was, again to be sure, and the CSR said that I wasn't under commitment.

The DirecTV website confirms this in my prgramming package on the left of the screen. Also, when I go into change my programming it no longer has a box at the bottom that says 2 year commitment.

Thank you DirecTV!!! :D

Got my free unit today. It's a Philips DSR7000 and looks to be very clean. Also came with the card so I can install on my own tonight. I just need to terminate the second line I dropped in the wall last year. Thx for this thread because I would have never known about it otherwise.

Got my Hughs dvr 3 days after placing the order. It came w/the wrong pwr cord. They gave me a $20 credit and had me go get a cord. Got one at radio shack for $5. Today the installer showed up w/R15, so I had him install that on another tv and run a second line and ph connection. Well worth the $15.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts