Frustrated by numerous program guide issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Does anyone have any evidence that the guide updates outside of the middle of the night light the middle of the morning? etc.

Does anyone have any evidence that the guide updates outside of the middle of the night light the middle of the morning? etc.
It is my understanding that the 3AM update you refer to is part of the overnight daily receiver update. I also sometimes see that the guide updates during the day when I access the TV viewing options/ TV activity.

Reactions: TheKrell and Bobby
I recently moved my Hopper from the 2nd floor to the first floor as we watch most of out TV downstairs and I eliminated a Joey in the process. I have had an antenna on my roof for I don't remember how long so I've been getting almost al my digital channels (I live 25 miles west of WTC and Empire State Bldg). I also have the intention of saving $12/month by eliminating locals. Lately the guide program logic has been acting strange. Last week we turned on the Hopper/TV around 10:30 (EDT) and got a message that the guide was updating. A few days later we saw it updating @ 22:30.
Also my local WABC CH 7.1 had no program info so The View and a few other shows failed to record. When we pressed info none of the shows had program info. I called tech support this morning and the first person was basically helpless. Didn't understand my problem, did NOT ask to take control of Hopper via Internet. Told me to unplugreplug Hopper (sounds like a Windows tech help desk) I asked for a more technical person, took control of my Hopper and we saw that P Guide update was 3AM. Could not tell me why it was updating off hours. She guessed it was updating for the locals. Her solution was to take OTA out of Hopper and see if it updates at a strange time. I said I would have to stay awake more than 24 hours. Today my locals have the guide info except WNBC Channel 4. It NEVER has info.
So is anyone else having this problem? I thought part of ATSC was to include metadata in stream like program info and if Dish can get program info for locals why can't the code recognize it and update the program info? I asked if there was a log (this IS after all a Unix program {right?})
I also have issues with the OTA guide info. It is maintained by the company providing the OTA antenna. I had it installed to access three channels disputing fees with Dish.

One settled, but the the other two owned by Apollo still are not on Dish after 3 years. One an independent station (formerly an NBC affiliate) the other a CW affiliate. For reasons I do not understand, because they are owned by the same company, the schedule for the independent channel is displayed for both.

I tried to resolve the issue through Dish and the OTA provider with no sucess.

Using the OTA guide ABC Chicago 7.1 listings are informational advertising. There isn't any local or network programming listed. Anyone from Chicago have the same issue? I am seeing the correct programs.
I can confirm. It is all infomercials in the guide, but tuning into ABC has the correct channel. This changed yesterday - which makes me think it was an uplink yesterday that has messed it up.

Edit: Right now ABC 7 in Chicago has the same programming guide as BUYTV channel 84.

Really getting tired of timer/guide issue with dish. ALL of my timers where redone less then month ago, and 2 days ago was check schedule and notice a timer on AXS Impact Wrestling, which AIR ever freaking week, the timer wasnt gona trigger and wasnt even been SEEN as airing despite the fact it was and even show it was. so deleted the time made new one and it was gona record, check again today and THAT new timer was gona record wasnt being seen as being played. just have delete it AGAIN and make new one. and this isnt the only channel this crap is happen again. how many time is guides meta info gona be changed? or the real problem really dish and there software?

This utter bs Dish need to fix this crap. it been going on for 3 + years it get better then then get worse then get better then gets worse. and them changing there provider over and over just for happen again dont freaking help. Dish need to just do there own freaking guide, atlest this way even when that mess we know we can fully blame dish. I am tired of have to baby sit my freaking timers

Dish should NEVER change providoed 3+ years back cause before that first change there was no such issue

I'm having issues with two timers today. The timers disappeared and won't let me set a new series timer when they both are a series program.

Really getting tired of timer/guide issue with dish. ALL of my timers where redone less then month ago, and 2 days ago was check schedule and notice a timer on AXS Impact Wrestling, which AIR ever freaking week, the timer wasnt gona trigger and wasnt even been SEEN as airing despite the fact it was and even show it was. so deleted the time made new one and it was gona record, check again today and THAT new timer was gona record wasnt being seen as being played. just have delete it AGAIN and make new one. and this isnt the only channel this crap is happen again. how many time is guides meta info gona be changed? or the real problem really dish and there software?

This utter bs Dish need to fix this crap. it been going on for 3 + years it get better then then get worse then get better then gets worse. and them changing there provider over and over just for happen again dont freaking help. Dish need to just do there own freaking guide, atlest this way even when that mess we know we can fully blame dish. I am tired of have to baby sit my freaking timers

Dish should NEVER change providoed 3+ years back cause before that first change there was no such issue
My goal in starting this post was to be a catalyst to resolve as many issues as possible. I sense your extreme frustration, but there will never be a perfect system. I have been in contact with Dish Support to provide additional info on a post and can assure you they do care and are working to keep issues to a minimum.

Having over 30 years experience working on complex systems, I can tell you that it isn't easy when so many players are involved. I have also noticed a number of networks upgrading their guide info, Many who never had episode numbers adding them, etc.

Rather than venting, post the specific issues you notice. Hopefully we'll see a difference.

venting cause it same issue that been around since day they change providers

"input name"

same name, same channel, same time that in guide but it wont trigger. is Meta info wrong? maybe cause it different thumbnail? and even more infurating that happen on something that been airing on same channel and same time on weekly bases for 10+ years

And now we have issue with cast where it flashes the cast and it right cast, but that flash is replaced with no info seen that happen on ever channel watched ins past month at some point or another it happens

Reactions: charlesrshell
Just a heads up. The new season of Penn and Teller and Whose Line is it anyway starts this Friday on the CW. The guide shows them as new but my timers, which are still there, are not picking them up. I had to create new timers. I don't see any changes in the titles so i am not sure why the original timers didn't catch it?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Just a heads up. The new season of Penn and Teller and Whose Line is it anyway starts this Friday on the CW. The guide shows them as new but my timers, which are still there, are not picking them up. I had to create new timers. I don't see any changes in the titles so i am not sure why the original timers didn't catch it?

Thanks for this. Same for me re: Penn and Teller. Created a new timer and it picks them up. Deleted old timer. Tedious but works around the problem.

I have an issue with my local CW guide. The company that owns the channel is a real piece of work. They own 2 locals (one was a NBC affiliate, lost the license and is now a local news channel and the CW affiliate) They never resolved a dispute with Dish over 2 years old. Dish set me up with an antenna to pick up the locals, but because the two channel are owned by the same company they are setup with the news channel's showing for both. Haven't been able to get the antenna company to fix it.

Is there a CW channel on Dish accessible to all subscribers? I did have the timers setup for the time slots of interest but it became more of a hassle than it was worth.

I have an issue with my local CW guide. The company that owns the channel is a real piece of work. They own 2 locals (one was a NBC affiliate, lost the license and is now a local news channel and the CW affiliate) They never resolved a dispute with Dish over 2 years old. Dish set me up with an antenna to pick up the locals, but because the two channel are owned by the same company they are setup with the news channel's showing for both. Haven't been able to get the antenna company to fix it.

Is there a CW channel on Dish accessible to all subscribers? I did have the timers setup for the time slots of interest but it became more of a hassle than it was worth.
How would the "antenna company" fix the issue with Dish's box?

My goal in starting this post was to be a catalyst to resolve as many issues as possible. I sense your extreme frustration, but there will never be a perfect system. I have been in contact with Dish Support to provide additional info on a post and can assure you they do care and are working to keep issues to a minimum.

Having over 30 years experience working on complex systems, I can tell you that it isn't easy when so many players are involved. I have also noticed a number of networks upgrading their guide info, Many who never had episode numbers adding them, etc.

Rather than venting, post the specific issues you notice. Hopefully we'll see a difference.
For transparency we are monitoring this thread and if you post specific details we can attempt to resolve the issues before your timers are affected.

In addition, with the Gracenote transition some series premieres do not have the same "series ID" that they had with TiVo and we're working very hard to resolve these on a case by case basis, but some may slip through the cracks.

Thank you all for your patience, but this should be a one-time rough transition and will improve in the future.

ABC 7.1 Chicago program title's read New Shark Vacuum, Alabama Grill and other junk. The programming is correct. I sent a couple of messages to the Dirt Team. No response from them.
Yeah, it is still like that. ABC 7 in Chicago has the same programming as Channel 84, BUYTV. There is a mistake in linking the EPG.

A couple guide problems with two Boston OTA channels.

Boston's CW is WLVI channel 56. The guide data for OTA channel 56-01 is wrong. The data shown is actually for Boston's WHDH channel 7-01. Dish had a dispute with WLVI three or four years ago and has taken satellite channel 56-00 off and removed it from the guide so OTA is my only option for CW.

Boston's NBC is WBTS satellite channel 10-00. I receive its OTA broadcast on channel 15-01. The guide data for 15-01 should be exactly the same as 10-00 however all the guide displays for 15-01 is WBTS-C for all time periods.

Not exactly a guide issue:

A couple guide problems with two Boston OTA channels.

Boston's CW is WLVI channel 56. The guide data for OTA channel 56-01 is wrong. The data shown is actually for Boston's WHDH channel 7-01. Dish had a dispute with WLVI three or four years ago and has taken satellite channel 56-00 off and removed it from the guide so OTA is my only option for CW.

Boston's NBC is WBTS satellite channel 10-00. I receive its OTA broadcast on channel 15-01. The guide data for 15-01 should be exactly the same as 10-00 however all the guide displays for 15-01 is WBTS-C for all time periods.
I have written about this issue. Most recently, in this thread on Tuesday. I was convinced to keep the local channels in addition to adding the OTA antenna and now I have the best of both worlds. If you haven't yet taken advantage of the 2 year fixed price deal, it will more than compensate doing that.

I tried everything to have the OTA guide issue fixed. Tried contacting the antenna provider. Tried complaining to the FCC to facilitate resolving the dispute. Considered contacting the CW and their advertisers to say they were being ripped off for their ad dollars. If you want to take the lead on any of these, I'll be right behind you. Maybe suggest they add a channel for cable/satellite/streaming. Start a thread and see if you can rally the Boston area members.

The only solution I could find for recording is to record the blocks I was interested in on a weekly basis. Not very good, but if you can come up with anything else, let me know.