OTHER FTA Beginner: Trying to use a TracVision R5SL with FTA (pictures)

americajr

Original poster
Jun 29, 2016
San Diego, CA
We just bought a 2008 RV/motorhome and it came with a KVH TracVision R5SL Satellite. While I was looking around at Dish and DirecTv rates I came across FTA. Im very tech savvy but I dont know much about satellites so i'm struggling a little. I bought an X-Squared HD DVB-S2 / M1HD FTA Receiver on Amazon and I can't figure it out.

My question: Is it possible and/or what do I need to do to make these two work together? I'm ok with buying a different receiver or altering the dish.

I have also attached many photos to help out.

Thanks to everyone in advance for any help. Much appreciated!
:helpsign

SATELLITE:
KVH TracVision R5SL

RECEIVER:
X-Squared HD DVB-S2 / M1HD

Note: I tried adding some links to the manufacture pages of the satellite and receiver but it was flagged as spam. Install guide, user manual, files page, etc

Attachments

• dish 1.JPG
    dish 1.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 261
  • dish 2.JPG
    dish 2.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 228
  • dish 3.JPG
    dish 3.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 227
  • dish 4.JPG
    dish 4.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 300
  • dish 5.JPG
    dish 5.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 228
  • dish 6.jpg
    dish 6.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 238
  • dish 7.JPG
    dish 7.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 224
  • dish 8.JPG
    dish 8.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 226
  • dish 9.jpg
    dish 9.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 216
  • dish 10.JPG
    dish 10.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 244
  • receiver 1.JPG
    receiver 1.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 213
Welcome to SatelliteGuys!
Your receiver should be ok, I don't own one but several here do and like them.
As far as the dish...the one you have is way to small for FTA. It would work fine for DISH or Directv, as they pump out WAAAY more power than most FTA signals.
I recommend getting at least a 90cm dish and you will have to get a linear LNBF to go with it.
You will need to also get a tri-pod or something similar that is portable to set it up on, outside the camper when you get to where you are going.

KE4EST is giving you good information and I second it. Might want to GOOGLE rving with a satellite and possibly FTA and rving. You should come up with some photos of how different people have solved the portable mount issue for rving. If you get the 90cm from Geosat Pro, which you can usually find on ebay for $99 to the door, it comes with a LNB and J pole that is easy to adjust to get it vertical.

EDIT: Better search term for Google: diy portable satellite dish

Here is a link to a mod I did, that includes a simple portable mount. http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/dish-500-conversion-with-text-pictures.351975/

If you decide to pursue the FTA and rving thing, here is a link to a spreadsheet for calculating pointing/aiming data for satellites. Might seem a bit technical right now, but won't for long. http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/satellite-pointing-spreadsheet.357002/

Oh, and welcome to the forum. We are all more than willing to help out, so come back with any other questions you might have.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)