FTA Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

greggor48

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
As an installer, I've been called many time by locals who have dish alignment problems or even receiver problems as well as new installations. I've discovered many people here in the Caribbean (non-US Territory) is receiving Dish Network and Amazonas channels on FTA systems.

I was told that it is normal in these territory since US law does not apply and the local law does not prohibit such use once is for personal use. You guys on this forum always give good advise and have a fair knowledge in these areas so I welcome your "expert" comments.

Watching without paying is theft of service, period.:mad: The thing is, it's hard to do anything about it occuring in other countries, since US law doesn't apply. I'm not sure what the laws are concerning Satellite TV services in other countries. Others who are more knowledgeable in this will soon chime in.:)

It should come down honesty. I will tell you this. Once Dish Network changes the encryption it will be a non issue. Soooooo, with that said, if you know people who are thinking of spending the money on equipment to get Dish programming with out paying for it you would both do well to remember in less then 30 days that equipment will be as useless as a boat anchor.

On the other hand for around the same price you can buy real FTA equipment, get a nice 90 cm dish and watch unencrypted programming and still have usable equipment 90 days form now.

You really need to talk to some local lawyers / justice department etc. If it is NOT illegal in your country then nothing to worry about. If it IS illegal (which is my guess!) then obviously it is just like illegal signal piracy in the USA.

Just because it is illegal to decrypt pay tv inside the USA does not mean it is illegal elsewhere. It is all about the local laws, world treaty org compliance of the local country etc.

Considering that Dish sells some services outside the USA, I am 99.9% sure it is totally illegal, but really you should check with local authorities.

Watching Fashion TV around midnight Eastern time might be illegal in some countries due to morality laws or whatever. Hell, having a dish is illegal in several countries. That doesn't mean I will be taking down my dish in the USA because my watching unencrypted, legal TV happens to be illegal in some other country.

Just because it is illegal in the USA doesn't mean it is illegal in the entire world! Check local laws, comply with local laws. Real laws, not urban legend laws. :)

Actually I asked the local body that govern Telecommunication where I am located and they say once it is for personal use there is no law prohibit it. If it was for commercial use that is not permitted.

Actually I asked the local body that govern Telecommunication where I am located and they say once it is for personal use there is no law prohibit it. If it was for commercial use that is not permitted.

Get the real laws printed out on a piece of paper and talk to a serious attorney. :)
We don't talk about it here on this site since it is illegal in the USA.

I don't believe in signal theft, but "theft" is defined by the laws of my country. Same with your country, just make sure it is real, valid interpretation of the law, not personal belief or interpretation of the person you spoke with.

Personally I think you should avoid dealing with any questionable hacker activity, but nevertheless my opinion doesn't affect the laws of your country.

I also don't believe it is honest for people to be selling "how to make millions on the Internet" crap and I see it all the time on TV late at night. It happens to be legal, even if I personally think it is dishonest. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)