fta questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jwrico

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Noble Oklahoma
Hello, I don't know anything about free to air. Is there a link that gives a good overview. Ie what is out there that is free to view ect. How hard, expensive to get set up? any help appreciated. :)

You should start your own thread, you'll get more and better answers.

Here is a link to "The List", it's at the top of this web page too.....
SatelliteGuys.US - TheList

Prices vary greatly, depends what you want.
For some this is a Hobby, others completely relay on it.
To get an idea of equip., check out www.Sadoun.com

Ask questions before you buy. :)

FAQ

Good place to start is by reading all the FAQ (freq asked questions) section here.
Most of the basic questions are covered.

While our own TheList is good once you know what you want, for the very beginner, you might be wise to look for a less technical site.
This one at FTAlist has the Ku-band (small dish) satellites listed, along with which channels have each language.
It's not perfect if a foreign language channel has an hour or two of news in English, but it'll give you an idea.

For more info on the various Equity Broadcasting Retro stations, take a look at this.

While many will recommend a receiver, dish, LNB, and a motor to let you access most of the satellites, a lot of people get started by just aiming a fixed dish at the satellite at 123° west.
Plenty to entertain, while you get your bearings and decide what to do next.
In older threads, it's called G10r, but was recently changed to G18 or Galaxy 18. (new satellite was put in orbit)

Now, if you are looking for something you didn't see, just ask. -

hi guys,i'm a newbie;this site doesnt allow me to start new threads :(
today i got a Ku band dish and i wanna align it to Edusat or NSS6 or IntelSat 12...etc
Elevation is the problem....there is a angle shower in dish bracket and on one side (A Side) it's from 0-50 and on other side (B) 40 to 90....so how can i align into sattelite

Nagaya331
Where are you located?
What equip do you have?
I would guess that if the Sat you wanted to hit is elevated between 0 and 50, the bracket would be installed the "normal" direction, and if the Sat is elevated between 40 and 90(straight up, if you are on the Equator) you would flip the bracket over.

What reciever would you recomend for a single non motorized dish? Can you use old DT or DN dishes and lnbs or some other kind?

For the most part, Dish Network and DirecTV dishes are more or less useless for FTA (with the exception of the small handful of channels in the clear on the pay-TV birds). The only somewhat useful DN and DTV dishes are the DN Superdish (both 105 and 121 models have a stacked linear Ku LNB) and the DTV International dish (has a linear Ku LNB). These dishes will work, but are somewhat undersized for reception of weaker transponders.

Hello, I am thinking of getting into FTA. I would like to get some used, free, equipment to start. I'll start looking for an old primstar. Any recomendations for a low cost reciever to start out with?

Hello, I am thinking of getting into FTA. I would like to get some used, free, equipment to start. I'll start looking for an old primstar. Any recomendations for a low cost reciever to start out with?

Coolsat 4K/5K/6K's have been going pretty cheap on 'Bay ($35-$50).
Visionsat IV200 for about $90 brand new, shipped.
Fortec MercuryII (aka "Dynamic").

All of those are good standard definition FTA boxes.

When (if?) Dish Network kills off the hackers with some good encryption the market should be flooded with cheap receivers, just have to clean the parrot poop out of the processors. :)

Thanks for info. Which of those recievers would be easiest for a first timer? I am in Oklahoma and have alot of trees in the yard. I know for dish and direct around hear you need a South, Southwest clear view. Is this the same for FTA Sats? I am trying to plan where to set up my pole mount.

Anybody know how to get notified when a reply to a post is made? I have posted on different threads and am loosing track of where I have been?

Thanks for info. Which of those recievers would be easiest for a first timer? I am in Oklahoma and have alot of trees in the yard. I know for dish and direct around hear you need a South, Southwest clear view. Is this the same for FTA Sats? I am trying to plan where to set up my pole mount.

The Fortec boxes are pretty easy to learn and are good solid blind scan boxes.

Anybody know how to get notified when a reply to a post is made? I have posted on different threads and am loosing track of where I have been?

I merged your posts into one thread. Please do not start multiple posts with same question.

If you'l work with the GeoSatFinder program, all you have to do is put in your zip code, and it'll make a PDF file with aiming info for all the FTA satellites.
There are many other satellite locator/calculators, and I like 'em all.
But for the beginner, this one will give you a printed list of everything you need.

If you have a lot of trees, you might see about putting your first fixed dish where it can get a good view of the 123° bird, as mentioned above.
And it doesn't necessarily have to be up high.
Many users put their first dish at chest-height in the back yard.
Having it where you can get easy access to it, makes for much less trouble at initial setup.
Best setup advice, is to take the receiver and a small display out to the dish.!

Thanks Anole for the information. Im trying to decide wether to mount dish next to my house, where DN and Hughes net are mounted. Ive got a good south to south west view. Then again I might go behind my shop building. I really enjoy this forum and am looking foward to getting my own set up going.

Took the plunge

I took the plunge and ordered the motorized kit from Sadoun, with the upgraded dish. I'll let everyone know how it goes in a week or so I order UPS Ground to save money. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)