FTA System Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nice one Sing, I just came across the bit of paper with the above on it, does it sound like a Universal to you then?

Thanks guys, we tried. It is time to call the local satellite guys. I think they charge $200 for installation. I really wanted to do it on my own but it takes too long. I have tried for days now. Thanks for all the help.

Always ask if they have done a ku band installation before, ask them if they have the right satellite meter to do the job, if they use the old "small TV at the dish method" try someplace else! Good Luck!

I would try one more time, I am starting to think its a standard LNBF

L.O. 10750

Universal=if your upper limit is other than 12.2

Standard= if your upper limit IS 12.2

glikus, this is a noble effort on your part and I hope you get it going soon :)

I will (weather permitting) put my new dish up tomorrow and am trying one last scramble today to gather info.

I'm at longitude 84.19, so would my best bet for true south satellite be AMC 9 at 85? It looks like I look at 181.2 degrees for that one. If so, should I just try to aim for "Pennsylvania Cable Network"? Also, will I need to know the distance to the satellite?

Jason

? I would use AMC 9 at 85w there in not much on there! Best to get someone to confirm there is a live feed on there before you point the dish.

PCN channel is C-band! It has a four figure Frequency, we need KU band (five figure frequency)

I am doing a scan of AMC 9 there is usually a test card there you can use to point the dish.

You do not need the distance to satellite, thats just a fun fact.

Right now there are a few feeds there, one in HD, so hopefully there will be something there when you do the install!

Thanks PSB, I forgot to look at the frequency for the PCN channel. The test card is NTSC, I didn't think the Pansat 2500A supported NTSC. If so, were you able to find the test card channel in your scan today?

Also, I bought everything I think I'll need to do the install:
RG6 coax cables totaling a little over 100 feet.
Single lug ground block
8 AWG bare ground wire
Silicone sealant
Mounting bolts/etc.

Much of the stuff came from a mostly-intact DirecTV DIY install kit on clearance for $6.84 :D. I was surprised that the ground wire is bare (uninsulated) but it's what came in the kit.

So anyways, here is my plan:
1. Small coax from LNB to motor.
2. 25' coax from motor to ground block.
3. Ground wire from ground block to house's electrical ground.
4. 75' coax from ground block to receiver.

The grounding writeup at http://www.dbsforums.com/reviews/tech1_5.html says not to ground the dish itself unless I already have an effective lightning rod system, correct? Also, do you have any tips on tying into the house's electrical ground? My 25' stretch between the motor and ground block are assuming I'll be putting the ground block very close to where the electrical line from the utility pole enters my house.

The dish should really be grounded also if its going to be done to NEC code, I use RG6 cable that has a ground cable included in it, but a separate ground cable can be used, this ground cable runs from the dish mast to the ground block, then another ground cable runs from the ground block to the house grounding point, I use a split bolt to bond to the house ground they cost around $5 from Home Depot depending on the size needed.

http://www.dbsinstall.com/Whatis/Whatisgood-5.htm

I was just at a service call today with an ungrounded blown receiver, maybe it was nothing to do with it but its always worth doing, one less thing to worry about!

When mounting the winegard dish to the motor, it looks like I have to take out the top pivot bolt (elevation scale pivot) and slide the dish's pole mount bracket over the motor's small pole, then put the bolt back through the bracket and motor pole?

First, would I use the top hole out of the two on the motor pole?

Second, either hole I use, the pole and motor are in the way of moving the dish to set the "30 - declination" setting from the motor manual...

What am I doing wrong, or how do I compensate for the motor being in the way? If the dish was resting straight down on the mast that came with it, I wouldn't have the problem.

I think any hole will work but I use the one nearest the end of the motor pole, set the angle on the motor that it tells you in the manual, then set the dish elevation as low as it will go without hitting anything then try to find satellite, hopefully you will have to come up to peak/find the signal from there!

Remember I cheat when I do this, I use a satellite identification meter and I just lift the dish elevation up and down until I hit the true south satellite, but Page two in the manual is right for setting the dish elevation, but may need lifted or lowered slightly, the motor elevation should not be moved at all at this point as long as the pole/mast was plumb the motor elevation should be good.

For one thing I can't even get the motor to move the dish via the receiver. The motor is getting power and I can move it manually with the button on the motor.

I'm also concerned about the dish's mount on to the motor using the bottom hole, there's not much motor pole past that so I can pivot the dish a little bit just through that bolt, and it is very tight...

Hello again!
I was talking to a friend and he suggested to buy the SF-95 SATELLITE FINDER SIGNAL METER before calling professional help to install my FTA satellite. What do you think?

I have one...nice simple unit but really didnt work for me. I just used the old eye ball it technique

SF-95 are a waste of money. I have one and it's useless. As what iceberg said, eyeballing and compass is the way to go.

The guys are right the DBS satellites "up there" are MUCH stronger and so you will NEVER be able to use it as you will keep landing on a strong DBS satellite, the only signal meters that will work cost $400-500 all they are is mini receivers so they do just the same thing your receiver and tv do!

Iceberg said:
signal means there is something there

If I unplug the coax from the LNB, I still register a 30 signal..I can point it straight north and the signal stays about 60...quality changes :)

I have learned this , the hard way , too . Can anyone explain why you get signal strength when not pointed at a sat ?

I have bought one of the little signal strength meters & it helps some , but still trying to get locked on to my first sat . Is there a better program than ProgDVB I & II to try to monitor signal quality ? ProgDVB is pretty clunky . :-(

Most of the DVB view programs will not indicate signal quality until a channel is successfully scanned ?

I bought a standard ( single LOF ) LNB because I had been told that the universal ( two LOF's ) LNB would not work with the signal meter ?

I am located in south central USA , if that info helps any .

Also , I see little difference on the little signal meter , when I physically rotate the LNB , trying to adjust skew . Is that right ?

How much will skew affect signal quality when I an getting a pretty good signal strength ? How much can skew be off & still work ?

I have a chart that gives skew for my location , for each sat . Looking at the back of the LNB , into the dish , if it gives a negative skew , do I rotate the LNB counter clockwise , from TDC ( top dead center ) ? Clockwise for positive ?

Thanks ,
Wyr

WyrTwister@37.com

glikus said:
PSB,
In other words my LNB Settings in Receiver should be:
LNB Power: On
Satellite: Telstar 5 (97.0 W)
LNB Lower LO: 9750 MHz
LNB Upper LO: 10750 MHz
DiseqC Mode: Off
Tone 22KHz: Auto
Switch 0/12 V: 0
Positioner DiseqC 12: No

Why are there a LNB Lower lo and LNB Upper LO. Should I set them to be the same?What is the SWITCH 1/12 V?

Thanks for all your help so far.

LO -> Local Oscillator
Wyr

I've decided to simplify and just remove the motor for now (which is what I should have done to begin with). Anyways, when first setting up a new dish without a motor, would there be any reason to first tune in the true south satellite, before turning to another satellite? If so, my true south satellite is AMC9 but there's not really any Ku DVB listed on there. Could somebody do me a favor and run a quick scan for feeds or anything I can tune on?

Or, if true south isn't necessary for non-motorized initial setup, I'll move onto a good satellite I can see! :)

I have just over an hour of daylight left, so hopefully I can get this working otherwise it'll be tomorrow evening.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)