Full Streaming Coming September 8th

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The HR44 and above have the hardware built in to stream the programming, which is almost like a built in Slingbox.

I'm curious how this is going to work... will it stream to your device via your home internet connection (a la Slingbox) or will the feeds come from DirecTV's servers? I'm not so sure you'll see local channels in every market. That typically has to be negotiated on a channel by channel basis with the affiliates.
If the channel you want is one that's streamed by DIRECTV you'll get it from their server. If it's a channel that isn't, like AHC on 287, then it will be streamed from your Genie via your network connection.

I'm on the road now and what I see is if I use the Live TV section of the app it shows just the local channels in this DMA that DIRECTV has an agreement with for streaming. But if I select watch on TV section, pull up the guide, I see my home locals and can see to stream them from my GenieGo.

Has anyone tried HDMI/power adaptor on the iPhone/iPad lately?
I haven't since the change by Apple to use the Lightning port.
This could be a good item to travel with this feature.

Has anyone tried HDMI/power adaptor on the iPhone/iPad lately?
I haven't since the change by Apple to use the Lightning port.
This could be a good item to travel with this feature.

Using one of those now while on the road, works just fine on iPhone and iPad.

Reactions: tigerfan33
So is this the new Mobile DVR service?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you have the external GenieGo you have this functionality now. The 'new' service is software on the HR44/54 that add the functionality.

I'm curious how this is going to work... will it stream to your device via your home internet connection (a la Slingbox) or will the feeds come from DirecTV's servers? I'm not so sure you'll see local channels in every market. That typically has to be negotiated on a channel by channel basis with the affiliates.
Both... If it is a program on DirecTV servers and they have streaming out of home agreements with that channel it will come from DirecTV.
If it is a program/station they do not have out-of-home streaming agreements for it will come from your home (at a lower resolution/quality than from DirecTV servers) via your Genie and home internet.

With the later it enables the user to stream out of home nearly anything.

I retired my Genie Go with the upgrade to the HR54 yesterday. I had trouble with registering my phone with the new Genie.
I waited 24 hours and it fired right up today using the internal feature on the Genie.

In my previous testing I found the internal to work practically the same as the Genie Go. The obvious limitation is you cannot stream/download form other HD-DVRs with the one internal to the Genie. I don't think DirecTV is concerned about this, as the Genie Go customer base is likely small, and even smaller yet when you consider having a Genie and HD-DVR(s).

HR34s are being distributed again.

My condolences to those getting the POS hr34's!

The DVR recording stream news is a good reason for me to leave directv since I have the slow buggy hr34. Just waiting for my hr34 to die or for me to finish spooling off any DVR recordings I still care about preserving.

Reactions: meStevo
I've been doing this for months now. Activated it with a keyword search. However last night there was a bad storm and I wanted to use my phone to watch the last few minutes of a show, but no channels would ever load. The App just said updating in the lower left. Tried it later when there wasn't rain fade, still same issue. My app no longer loads anything. The app is too slow and you can't browse the guide while the show is playing, so its clunky.

They should allow the HR44 to stream the channel from the internet if there is rain disruption. I have 40mbps and I think HD is around 6-10 mbps, so I have enough bandwidth for it.

So is this the new Mobile DVR service?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, it allows you to take all of your content that's a part of your normal subscription with you. Including locals. Basically, you can stream everything off of your DVR and any channel that's live to your phone and never miss a show.

And so the OTT "wars" truly begin.

This is apparently one more step towards the end-of-year streaming bundling packages that were previously promised.

Oh, they haven't quite begun but more to come on that early next year with DirecTV's OTT service.

What do you think the chances of them streaming 4K content?

Not out of the possibility, although nothing really announced yet.

Roku app would be a nice touch!

It's coming. But it won't be a part of this, It will be a part of the OTT service coming next year. Think DirecTV's version of Sling. Basically, if you can't get a satellite signal, you will be able to still get DirecTV via their OTT platform. This will be useful for MDU's that don't have line of sight and dorms, ect, places like that. It's going to be a more simplified version of DirecTV, and if you want the more premium experience like 4k then it's better off going with the satellite platform. There also may be stream limitations on it like Sling with one or two streams at one time. Basically, if you have a family with multiple TV's then you would be best to get the satellite platform.

Does this include the PC?

No, I don't think there is an app for that.

I've been doing this for months now. Activated it with a keyword search. However last night there was a bad storm and I wanted to use my phone to watch the last few minutes of a show, but no channels would ever load. The App just said updating in the lower left. Tried it later when there wasn't rain fade, still same issue. My app no longer loads anything. The app is too slow and you can't browse the guide while the show is playing, so its clunky.

They should allow the HR44 to stream the channel from the internet if there is rain disruption. I have 40mbps and I think HD is around 6-10 mbps, so I have enough bandwidth for it.

For what it's worth, I was not able to do anything with the app last night either. I tried around 6pm several times and then around 11:30 and still nothing. It works fine today, though.

The last two days the app has sucked, hopefully they're getting their act together before NFL-ST starts up.

if your on the same network, will it stream via the network, or does it go out via internet and back in via internet?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts