G10r will end this weekend ! (swapping to new bird)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Little Rock weather may be a factor, but what puzzles me is that my 11720V transponder varies a lot, while the 11800V and 11805H are very consistent. Most days 11720V is only about 38-40% on my Merc II meter ( 80cm dish) while today it is about 52%. 11800H is about 70% typically and doesn't change much.
:(

One thing I've learned the hard way is don't get up on the roof and start messing around with your dish just because G10R lost signal. Check some other satellites first before jumping to any conclusions. I've been fooled by that one I'll tell you. Red faced. I am also finding that the last couple of weeks, 11720 has been breaking up at times.

This is the time of year of strong thunderstorms and tornadoes. Equity's mux on G10 comes out of Little Rock, AR. Whenever a storm rumbles through, their Ku up link gets the Kybosh as much as our down link does when you have a storm going by.

Here in NY, 11800 is 70S and 80Q. However, 11720 dropped considerably to 50S and 20Q. Unless the weather at the uplink location is the issue. I noticed this Sunday evening. If this continues rain will probably be a problem here.

Sudden jump in signal quality here. 11720 is reading in the 50's and the 11800 is in the 60's. That's a pretty good reading for the very conservative numbers the Fortec's display. I'm doing a blind scan to see if there is anything new.

Nothing new on the blind scan. Oddly, the channel changes seem to take longer than before. Its like despite the high signal strength and quality, the receiver takes longer to finish processing the signal into a tv picture stream. Could that indicate some change?

I checked again now and it's still like it was. I also have been keeping an eye on 3CTV it's the same too so if the bird is swapped it's doing no better then the old bird was. Which leads me to believe it's not done yet. I should have kept tabs on C band with the 4DTV on Showtime also. Maybe Gary could update us?

Well, I know that I've been watching more over the past several days, than before the scheduled changeover, and have seen a lot of variations on 11720 V transponder. I suppose that that is just "how it is" and may be symptomatic of why the bird is being replaced . I certainly don't expect the exact signal strengths on the same tp's when the new bird takes over. I just wish it would "gt done" so I can get this out of my mind .
:)
:?

One thing I've learned the hard way is don't get up on the roof and start messing around with your dish just because G10R lost signal. Check some other satellites first before jumping to any conclusions. ....

Good one.

I had good signal on G10R this weekend, but quality would drop to zero and then come back. Rinse, repeat. Later, the problem cleared up all by itself.

One of my Mac tech buddies had the Coke and a Smoke rule. If he had a pestering problem, he'd go for a Coke and a Smoke. Sometimes, just given a little more time, the problem would go away by itself. That way, you don't break something when the situation is out of your control.

One of my Mac tech buddies had the Coke and a Smoke rule. If he had a pestering problem, he'd go for a Coke and a Smoke. Sometimes, just given a little more time, the problem would go away by itself. That way, you don't break something when the situation is out of your control.
I use that method every day when working with computers and network administration.

I have found that after looking at the screen trying to figure out the problem, if I just go out and have a smoke, all will be revealed, and go back and fix it. :)

Let me stir the pot a bit. This morning, I notice that 11805 H , is substantially lower than 11800 V. Usually 11805 H is the stronger of the two. Is it likely that the various providers could be switching over to the new bird, G17, in a gradual, staggered manner ?
:)

11720 has been playing some games by me lately I thought maybe they finally were running on the new bird since the quality was up almost 10 points this morning, tonight it's lower than normal. I have to wonder what Equity must be doing since it seems of all the different channels I can see only Equity has such wide variations. ???

A little something that was posted elsewhere when I asked a question. Hope you all find it informative. The original has many hand written parts, but all the basic important info is here.

SATSTA-2008032540081 IB2008000710
PanAmSat Licensee Corp.
Approved by OMB
3060-0678
Date & Time Filed: Mar 25 2008 2:46: 15:730PM
File Number: SAT-STA-20080325-0008 1
Callsign:
FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
APPLICATION FOR SPACE STATION SPECIAL TEMPORARY AUTHORITY
FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY
APPLICANT INFORMATION
Enter a description of this application to identify it on the main menu:
Request for STA to Drift Galaxy 17 to and Operate at 122.9 W.L.
. Applicant
Name: PanAmSat Licensee Corp. Phone Number:
DBA Name: Fax Number:
Street: c/o Intelsat Corporation E-Mail:
**** International Drive, N.W.
City: Washington State:
Attention: Susan H Crandall
DC
20008 -3006
htemstiswaf Buresaw
Attachment
File No. SAT-STA-20080325-00081
Call Sign S2715
April 4,2008
PanAmSat Licensee Corp.'s request, File No. SAT-STA-20080325-0008 1 , is
granted. Accordingly, PanAmSat Licensee Corp. (PanAmSat)is authorized, for a period
of 30 days commencing on April 4,2008, to conduct Telemetry, Tracking, Control and
Monitoring operations with the Galaxy 17 satellite (Call Sign S2715) using the following
frequencies: 5925.5 MHz (left-hand-circular polarization), 6424.5 MHz (right-handcircular
polarization), 5925.5 MHz (horizontal polarization) and 6424.5 MHz (vertical
polarization) for command; and 41 97.125 MHz (horizontal polarization), 4 197.125 MHz
(left-hand-circular polarization), 41 98.875 MHz (horizontal polarization) and 41 98.875
(right-hand-circular polarization) for telemetry, necessary to effect the drift of Galaxy 1 7
to the 122.9' W.L. orbital location, and during its on-station operations at that location.
Additionally, once Galaxy 17 is located at the 122.9' W.L. orbital location, PanAmSat is
authorized to operate Galaxy 17 in the 5925-6425 MHz (Earth-to-space) and 3700-4200
MHz (space-to-Earth) conventional C-band frequencies, and in the 14.0- 14.5 GHz
(Earth-to-space) and 1 1.7- 12.2 GHz (space-to-Earth) conventional Ku-band frequencies.
This authorization shall be in accordance with the technical specifications set forth in its
application, this Attachment, and the Commission's rules and subject to the following
condition:
1. All operations during the drift shall be on an unprotected and non-harmful
interference basis, i. e., PanAmSat shall not cause harmful interference to, and shall not
claim protection from, interference caused to it by any other lawfully operating station.
In the event of any harmful interference during Galaxy 17's drift to the 122.9' W.L.
orbital location, PanAmSat shall cease operations immediately upon notification of such
interference, and shall inform the Commission, in writing, immediately of such an event.
Call Sign 527
(or otker identifier)
Grant Date 3/qf &
2. Contact
6. Temporary Orbit Location
122.9 W.L.
Name: PanAmSat Licensee Corp. Phone Number:
Company: Fax Number:
Street: c/o Intelsat Corporation E-Mail:
7. Requested Extended Expiration Date
**** International Drive, N.W.
City: Washington State:
Attention: Susan H Crandall Relationship:
DC
20008 -3006
Legal Counsel
(If your application is related to an application filed with the Commission, enter either the file number or the IB Submission ID of the related
3. Reference File Number or Submission ID
application. Please enter only one.)
4a. Is a fee submitted with this application?
@ IfYes, complete and attach FCC Form 159.
0 Governmental Entity
0 Other(p1ease explain):
If No, indicate reason for fee exemption (see 47 C.F.R.Section 1.1 114).
0 Noncommercial educational licensee
14b. Fee Classification CRY - Space Station (Geostationary)
I. Description (If the complete description does not appear in this box, please go to the end of the form to view it in its entirety.)
PanAmSat Licensee Corp. herein requests a grant of STA for 30 days, commencing
immediately, to drift Galaxy 17 to 122.9 W.L. and to temporarily operate the satellite at
that locat ion.
IO. Name of Person Signing
Susan H. Crandall
I I
1 1. Title of Person Signing
Asst. General Counsel, Intelsat Corporation
9. By checkingyes, the undersigned certifies that neither applicant nor any other party to the application is subject
to a denial of Federal benefits that includes FCC benefits pursuant to Section 5301 of the Anti-Drug Act of 1988,
21 U.S.C. Section 862, because of a conviction for possession or distribution of a controlled substance. See 47 CFR
1.2002(b) for the meaning of "party to the application" for these purposes.
Yes 0 No
Attachment 1 : STA Request Attachment 2: Attachment 3:
WILLFUL FALSE STATEMENTS MADE ON THIS FORM ARE PUNISHABLE BY FINE AND / OR IMPRISONMENT
(US. Code, Title 18, Section IOOl), AND/OR REVOCATION OF ANY STATION AUTHORIZATION
(US.C ode, Title 47, Section 3 12(a)( l)), AND/OR FORFEITURE (U.S. Code, Title 47, Section 503).
FCC NOTICE REQUIRED BY THE PAPERWORK REDUCTION ACT
The public reporting for this collection of information is estimated to average 2 hours per response, including the time for reviewing instructions,
searching existing data sources, gathering and maintaining the required data, and completing and reviewing the collection of information. If you
have any comments on this burden estimate, or how we can improve the collection and reduce the burden it causes you, please write to the
Federal Communications Commission, AMD-PERM, Paperwork Reduction Project (3060-0678), Washington, DC 20554. We will also accept
your comments regarding the Paperwork Reduction Act aspects of this collection via the Internet if you send them to jboley@fcc.gov. PLEASE
DO NOT SEND COMPLETED FORMS TO THIS ADDRESS.
Remember -You are not required to respond to a collection of information sponsored by the Federal government, and the government may not
conduct or sponsor this collection, unless it displays a currently valid OMB control number or if we fail to provide you with this notice. This
collection has been assigned an OMB control number of 3060-0678.
THE FOREGOING NOTICE IS REQUIRED BY THE PAPERWORK REDUCTION ACT OF 1995, PUBLIC LAW 104-13, OCTOBER
1,1995,44 U.S.C. SECTION 3507.
March 25,2008
Ms. Marlene H. Dortch
Secretary
Federal Communications Commission
Washington, DC
INTELSAT.
Re: Request for Special Temporary Authority to Drift Galaxy 17 to, and
Operate the Satellite at, 122.9' W.L.
Call Sign: S2715
Dear Ms. Dortch:
PanAmSat Licensee Corp. ("PanAmSattt)h erein requests a grant of Special
Temporary Authority ("STA")' for 30 days, commencing immediately, to drift
Galaxy 17 to 122.9' W.L. and to temporarily operate the satellite at that
location. In support of its request, PsuLAmSat submits the following
information.
PafLAmSat is authorized to operate Galaxy 17 at 91" W.L.* PaJnAmSat currently
plans to have Galaxy 17 replace Galaxy 11, which is operating at that location.
Galaxy 17 is currently drifting toward 90.90" W.L. pursuant to STA.3 As
explained in that STA request, Galaxy 17 possibly would be required to move to
the nominal 123.0" W.L. location ih the event of a delay in, or failure of, the
launch of Galaxy 18. Galaxy 18, which is licensed to operate at 123" W.L.;
currently is expected to be launched on May 13,2008 by Sea Launch. The
satellite currently operating at 123.0' W.L. - Galaxy 1OR - is low on fbel. The
delay in the launch of Galaxy 18 beyond its most recently scheduled launch date
of May 3,2008 has required that PanAmSat drift Galaxy 17 to 122.9' W.L.
rather than 90.90' W.L. and temporarily operate the satellite at 122.9' W.L. in
order to ensure continuity of station-kept service for customers currently on
Galaxy 1OR.
P-Sat has filed this STA request, an FCC Form 159 and a $790.00 filing
See Policy Branch Information; Actions Taken, Report No. SAT-00439, File
fee electronically via the International Bureau's Filing System.
Nos. SAT-RPL-20061219-00155 and SAT-AMD-20070123-00013 (Apr. 27,
2007) (Public Notice).
See PanAmSat Licensee Corp. Request for Special Temporary Authority, File
No. SAT-STA-20080307-00060 (stamp grant issued by Andrea Kelly on Mar.
14,2008).
See Policy Branch Information; Actions Taken, Report No. SAT-00477, File
No. SAT-RPL-20070222-0003 5 (Oct. 26,2007) (Public Notice).
I
lntelsat Corporation
**** International Drive NW, Washington DC 20008-3006 USA
Ms. Marlene H. Dortch
March 25,2008
Page 2
During the dnf€ to 122.9' W.L only the following TT&C fiequencies will be
operated on Galaxy 17: command fkequencies 5925.5 MHz (LHCP), 6424.5
MHz (RHCP), 5925.5 MHZ (€3) and 6424.5 MHz (V); telemetry frequencies
4197.125 MHz (H), 4197.125 MHz (LHCP), 4198.875 MHz (H) and 4198.875
(RHCP). Once located at 122.9' W.L., the satellite will operate in the
conventional C- and Ku- bands.
All operations of Galaxy 17 at 122.9" W.L. will be in conformance with
relevant coordination agreements PaylAmSat has reached with other
administrations regarding operations at the location. In addition, Padunsat
will operate in accordance with the FCC's rules designed to allow co-frequency,
co-coverage operations in a two-degree spaced environment. As a result of
these efforts, PanAmSat's operation of Galaxy 17 at the 122.9' W.L. location I
poses no risk of harmfill interference to adjacent operational satellites. I
I
Grant of this STA request will serve the public interest by allowing PanAmSat
to transfer traffic fkom Galaxy 1OR to Galaxy 17 at 122.9" W.L. until Galaxy 18
is launched and the traffic can be transferred to Galaxy 18. This, in turn, will
allow PanAmSat to ensure continuity of service at thexominal 123.0' W.L.
location to customers of Galaxy 1OR.
'
For the reasons set forth herein, PsltlAmSat respectfblly requests that the
Commission expeditiously grant this request.
Sincerely,
Susan H. Crmdall
Assistant General Counsel
Intelsat Corporation
cc: Robert Nelson
Andrea Kelly
Karl Kensinger

Tracker

On the last episode of Unreliable Sources, he told a caller, "that satellite you are watching this show on will fall out of the sky in 18 hours". And here I thought Gary was just rippin' on another caller. :)

Time to rescan to see if there's anything "new".

It would be so nice if every satellite contained a satellite ID somewhere on a transponder like the EchoStar satellites usually have.
There used to be a header in the control channel on the satellite and it was circular so skew was not as issue - but I have not working at a station or truck since 1987 or maybe a day or two in 1990. I do not know how we could decode and see it - if it is there and not not hidden. E* is probably open ID.

G10 11720

I'm not getting 11720 on G10, 11800 is good anyone else or is it just me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)