Gbox Bargain Bin Woes...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

stogie5150

Crazed Cajun Rebel
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Slidell,LA
Bought a refurb Gbox in early May for my BV...and never got around to hooking it up...well this week I did...and....it won't count. Bargain bin stuff has a 15 day return...so being out of luck on that I decided to crack the case....yikes...I think I see why they returned it...should there be discoloration all over the board like that?

Attachments

• SDC10185.JPG
    SDC10185.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 176
  • SDC10187.JPG
    SDC10187.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 184
  • SDC10188.JPG
    SDC10188.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 167
  • SDC10193.JPG
    SDC10193.JPG
    682.6 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Just looks like some left over flux. Sometimes some of the conponents have heavier leeds and require them to be touched up with a soldering iron if they don't get soldered properly, or the factory has people soldering some of the parts on by hand. A little flux remover should remove the left over flux. That little bit of leftover flux should not stop it from working. You need to look for any leeds that are loose and not properly soldered.

I opened mine up in May because I was getting the e2 error. Mine looked the
same as your. I never found what I was looking for, something is making my
pulse signal voltage run at 20volts and not the 5volts it should be. I stopped
the E2 buy flattening out the motor and pulse wires with pliers.

stogie, I didn't get any pics of the underside of my PC boards but here's some of the top side of my G-Box guts, before and after replacing the regulator diodes (aka "fuses") ;).

Attachments

• Sat GBox Guts.jpg
    Sat GBox Guts.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Sat G-Box Guts.JPG
    Sat G-Box Guts.JPG
    247.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Sat G-Box New Diodes.JPG
    Sat G-Box New Diodes.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 140
stogie arent you from louisana some where ? maybe that gbox went thru the katrina flood.

crackt out,.

No I just got this one....LOL...my main gbox is working fine...LOL...Katrina was five years ago, I didn't even have a dish back then...LOL

Thanks Hillbilly for the pics...Sadoun is going to send me a board for mine, I'll have to find someone that can solder it for me, I am beyond useless with an iron...:)

I have worked in electronics for over 20 yrs now in a high tech electronic production plant as a Techncian and from what i can see from the pics is that some parts had been touched up and the board wasnt cleaned correctly.We have a strong policy about good soldering and all boards must be clean with no solder flux showing or connections in time will start to become unreliable and start breaking down.PS!Most of my FTA setups have been from Sadoun and he will try to make things right if something goes wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)