Genie HD dvr

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've seen a bunch of posts on this thread comparing DirecTV STB's with Dish STB's. I started Dish (1997) with a model 4000, over time I upgraded multiple times. I had the first Integrated STB/DVR (Dish 501), my Favorite Dish receiver was the 722k, Two Satellite tuners and two separate OTA Tuners. Never had a Dish Hopper. I switched to DirecTV when Dish dropped all New York State RSN's. I've had Hr24's, D12's, H24's, and a HR34 (Thankfully has been replaced by a HR44).

My thoughts
I did like the UI of the 722k better than the UI of the DirecTV's when I first switched. I also liked the Dish 3 hour EPG. I Loved Dish allowing an Account wide External Hard Drive to used. Also being able to use the External as well as the internal drive at the same time.

With all this said I believe Dish really screwed up putting only three tuners in their Whole Home DVR "Hopper", especially if you use even one Joey and use the record all Local Network's feature. Then you can't record anything else other that what you are watching at the two other TV's. I do watch some Network TV shows, but most of the recording I do is the NON Network channels.

I consider DirecTV's Genie DVRs' 5 Tuners a bare bones minimum to be considered a Whole Home Solution.

In the end I pick a provider based on being able to provide the channels I wish to have access to. While there are things I miss by having DirecTV, I love my service and it is vastly better than the experience from my local Cable Company (Time Warner).

John

Reactions: Troch77
I'll make it easy..dish has good equipment, bad picture. DirecTV has OK equipment, great picture! I know I been with dish since 05. Now let's get back to work

Yes I did, I guess you never had one period. ;)
Compared to the receivers Directv had then, Sure it looked promising, until a few months went by.

If you want to stand by the HR34 was quite good, you go right ahead. LMFAO!!!
Nope, just going by what others here had to say .... before you joined I guess.
Never had one, never will.

I don't, and never will again.
Then WHY are you here ripping all these recvrs when you have No experience with them ?

Sounded like you definitely had a 34 ....
IF so you never had a 44 to play with and you also have Never had a 54 ....
So your bad mouthing even equipment that has barely made the market 54 without having 1 iota of experience using it.

I prefer do discuss my experiences with someone that has actually USER the product.

Next question ....
Why are you spewing all this about D* .... Might want to try the forum.that you actually have.

Reactions: AZ.
Then WHY are you here ripping all these recvrs when you have No experience with them ?

Sounded like you definitely had a 34 ....
IF so you never had a 44 to play with and you also have Never had a 54 ....
So your bad mouthing even equipment that has barely made the market 54 without having 1 iota of experience using it.

I prefer do discuss my experiences with someone that has actually USER the product.

Next question ....
Why are you spewing all this about D* .... Might want to try the forum.that you actually have.

Troch77 doesn't want real HD and more RSNs. Why else would anyone stay with Dish?

Troch77 doesn't want real HD and more RSNs. Why else would anyone stay with Dish?
I don't mind him being with Dish at all, but why is he coming into the D* forum and ripping their product ....
Go play in your own forum.

That would be like me going over to the Dish side and ripping their product .... fwiw, I would expect to get ripped if I did that.

I don't mind him being with Dish at all, but why is he coming into the D* forum and ripping their product ....
Go play in your own forum.

That would be like me going over to the Dish side and ripping their product .... fwiw, I would expect to get ripped if I did that.

Dish is simply a vastly inferior product with a few bright spots. The HD picture is so bad and washed out and the endless drops of channels is outrageous. I used to be a Dish person until they started screwing up HD and sports. The lack of RSNs (and those they have are not HD HD) is laughable.

Most of them know it, but won't admit it. They think Directv is so expensive and primitive. It works (HR44) and the picture is glorious. And it costs basically the same...

Reactions: Jimbo
Okay guys, enough with the posts attacking other members! The next one who does gets a vacation!

Even though they are still working good, I am seriously considering retiring my HR22 & HR23 & replacing both with a HR44 to go with both my HR24's, H24, & H25. That will give me a net gain of one tuner, going from 10 tuners total to 11. I'll also save money on my monthly bill going from 6 DVR/receivers to 5. Amazon has a HR44 listed for about $140.00($139.99) new. That price is worth a jump, but I'll have to wait until the first of January to do it.

Reactions: Jimbo
Even though they are still working good, I am seriously considering retiring my HR22 & HR23 & replacing both with a HR44 to go with both my HR24's, H24, & H25. That will give me a net gain of one tuner, going from 10 tuners total to 11. I'll also save money on my monthly bill going from 6 DVR/receivers to 5. Amazon has a HR44 listed for about $140.00($139.99) new. That price is worth a jump, but I'll have to wait until the first of January to do it.

check with direct, might be able to get for free (the amazon one will be a leased unit)

check with direct, might be able to get for free (the amazon one will be a leased unit)
Except for the HR22,pretty much all of my DVR's/receivers were 3rd party leased units, except for my second HR24, which was a replacement for when my HR23's hard drive went out, then I replaced the hard drive myself later & got my HR23 reactivated. Going third party, I know that I'll be getting the model of Genie that I want, & $139.99 versus $299.99 sounds pretty good.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts