Genie install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CEV

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
I currently have 4 DVR's, and getting a Genie installed on Wednesday. Just wondering how the install works for these? Will any additional lines need to be run to the Genie box? And would I be able to move it to a different room later if I wanted to? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Only one line goes to the Genie. How many cables come from the dish now? If only one, then they will need three more to service a swm16 multiswitch. You should be able to move it later with no problems.

Currently have 4 DVR's with a line going to each. Thanks

How many from the dish though? You must have four from the dish going to a switch. If it's a swm8, then it would have to be swapped for a swm16, which is simple. Then one line to the Genie and that's it!

Outside on the house, next to the dish, there is a box with 1 in and 4 out.

Okay, it sounds like you have a swm lnb, a splitter, and somewhere a power inserter. They will have to run three more lines from the dish to a new swm16 multiswitch, then one line to the Genie, and reuse the splitter you have now for your current dvrs. They will likely need to replace the power inserter with a different one.

Ok. I currently have 4 lines going through the outside into the inside. So no more would need to be run into the house, correct?

CEV, how many are coming from the dish? This matters!

I sounds dangerously like the four cables coming down are all SWM and not legacy (from the one in, four out answer given in post #5).

I'd like to know how the cables run from the existing splitter.

If the cables scatter to the four corners of the house on the exterior, this could end up being quite a project.

If the cables all enter the home at the same point, things are a whole lot easier.

Until CEV tells us how many lines are coming from the dish, we don't know if he has a swm lnb or a swm multiswitch.

I currently have 4 DVR's, and getting a Genie installed on Wednesday.
Is the Genie going to be added or will it replace existing equipment?

Swapping the Genie for an existing HR2x is probably not as simple as moving each to the other's room. You'll probably need to move some cabling between the SWiM legs so that one side doesn't get overloaded.

Again Harshness, we don't know if CEV has a swm lnb or a swm multiswitch. Until we find out, your posts are sheer conjecture.

That post makes it sound like there is a swm lnb and a splitter, but he referred to it as a box. That sounds like a swm8/16. FOR THE LAST TIME, UNTIL CEV CONFIRMS HOW MANY CABLES ARE COMING FROM THE DISH WE DON'T KNOW FOR CERTAIN!

Again Harshness, we don't know if CEV has a swm lnb or a swm multiswitch. Until we find out, your posts are sheer conjecture.
If the device near the dish has one cable coming in and four going out (post #5) and four cables ultimately go through the wall (post #7), the LNB must be SWiM.

I'm inclined to believe that the device near the dish must be a splitter if there's four cables entering the home and the TS stated the single cable was coming into the "box".

To be sure, it is possible that the TS doesn't know their ins from their outs and only one of the incoming cables is being used so my theory about what is going could be completely backwards as you assert.

Which is why we need to find out if there are four cables coming from the dish. How many time do I need to say this? Do you simply like to argue?

Ok, sorry for the confusion guys. The pic below shows the device I was referring to that is mounted on the outside of the house. One cable from the actual dish goes into this, and then the 4 going out of it and into the house go to each of the DVR's. Hope this makes more sense.

20130816_155650.jpg

Thanks for the update CEV. This means you do have a swm lnb. Assuming you are keeping the 4 dvrs, you will need a new lnb. You will also need three new cables from the dish to a swm16 multiswitch. Then there will be one new line to the Genie and one to the setup in the picture you just posted.

I'll be keeping 3 of the DVR's and the Genie will be replacing the 4th. So sounds like more cables will need to go through the exterior wall of the house?

I don't think so. Three of the four dvrs will connect the same as they are now, except the splitter will connect to the swm16 instead of straight to the lnb. The Genie will connect with the now unused cable from the deleted dvr, straight to the swm16. The installer may need to extend the cable for the Genie, but that should be it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts