GEOSATpro HDVR3500 - New DVBS2 STB - Photos and Initial Testing

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The output should show all cores like this from a quad core Intel: (processor 0, processor 1 etc....
(And yes it is very easy to disable cores at boot and at the command line)

Code:
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 58
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz
stepping        : 9
microcode       : 0x17
cpu MHz         : 1600.000
cache size      : 3072 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 4
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 13
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt tsc_deadline_timer xsave avx f16c lahf_lm arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms
bogomips        : 6799.73
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor       : 1
core id         : 1
apicid          : 2
initial apicid  : 2
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt tsc_deadline_timer xsave avx f16c lahf_lm arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms
bogomips        : 6799.76
power management:

processor       : 2
core id         : 0
apicid          : 1
initial apicid  : 1
bogomips        : 6799.76
power management:

processor       : 3
core id         : 1
apicid          : 3
initial apicid  : 3
bogomips        : 6799.77
power management:

Last edited:
cat /proc/cpuinfo shows ARMv7 processor, rev. 1, [V71] Were there any single core arm7 processors?

Mine says 'godbox'. That must be good, yes?

procinfo.jpg

Yes there are single core ARMs. ARMv7 can be 1,2,4 or 8 cores.
It looks like a single core in cpuinfo. Going to post a snapshot of the screen in a minute, hopefully. I'm on the POS Windows computer and need to enable Tablet PC Optional Components to use the snipping tool for a screenshot and it's taking fooorever to enable. This is the only Windows computer still in our house and it's lucky it's not flying out of a window itself right now. :(

Ah, N6BY got it posted above, that looks the same as mine. :)

Reactions: N6BY
from http://www.cnet.com/news/is-the-god-box-finally-real/

"The term "god box" has its own definition in the technology industry. For those unfamiliar with the phrase, a "god box" is a single system packed with ridiculous amounts of functionality. Think of an all-in-one television, cable box, TiVo, and home entertainment speaker system and you get the idea. One "god box" always replaces numerous more pedestrian systems."

Not sure if that proc designation godbox is solely used by hisilicon:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=142390

Reactions: N6BY
A few weeks ago during a Telnet session to find out why the RCU response was sluggish on a sample unit provided by Satellite AV, toggled between CPU 0 and CPU 1. This is really bugging me... Headed back to the shop to remove the heat sink on the sample and also grab a new unit out of a master carton to test.
I wonder what happened to Satellite AV??? Several days ago Satellite AV was on this HDVR 3500 message and helping out but they disappeared shortly after the Core Delimma started. Seems they should be able to tell everyone about the CPU if they are still around. Hope that they continue with the firmware revision and don't leave us hanging.

The term "god box" has its own definition in the technology industry. For those unfamiliar with the phrase, a "god box" is a single system packed with ridiculous amounts of functionality. ...
I see what you mean. The functional diagram from the specs shows quite a bit packed on that Hi3712. Its a 'system on a chip'. (SOC)

I've been looking for the HiSilicon Hi3798M spec sheet without success. I think that is their newest?

EDIT: I looked again on the HiSilicon website and got this when I tried to download the specs:
"The requested URL /engdownload/digital/2014/Hi3798M V100.rar was not found on this server."

Reactions: fred555
I wonder what happened to Satellite AV??? Several days ago Satellite AV was on this HDVR 3500 message and helping out but they disappeared shortly after the Core Delimma started. Seems they should be able to tell everyone about the CPU if they are still around. Hope that they continue with the firmware revision and don't leave us hanging.

Eugene is on vacation.

Everyone I know this is not need but thank you for all the effort :) love this place.

Reactions: Titanium
:computerwindow

I made the same mistake reading the Telnet top screens. Pressing 1 to go between the cores, I read CPU and CPU0 and saw 2 CPUs, but rather the screens were showing total CPU usage and the single core (one and the same). :coco

None of the testing interaction adds up and doesn't explain why engineers were looking into a resolution when we obviously incorrectly reported observing the dual cores maxing out at 100% instead of processed by the chipset's quad cores. Now, the SOC chipset is revealed to be a single core! o_O Once again, thank you to N6BY for going the extra mile to confirm the STB specifications!

I will continue my offer to make this right for anyone that purchased a unit from Titanium. Feeling mighty stupid and blindsided right now....:deadhorse

If I could type the feelings I have for some folks right now I would get banned.

This is **** **** ****

I've done been run over by a bus. (well 4 dealers that I know of)

Has anyone else noticed that the 3500 is not listed on any satelliteAv website? They have it listed on Amazon odd?

If fred555 had purchased one of these, with his Linux knowledge he would have uncovered this single core thing in his first 10 minutes of ownership. I am a Linux NEWB. I spend most of my time developing software on Mac and Windows.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)

Latest posts