GEOSATpro HDVR3500 - New DVBS2 STB - Photos and Initial Testing

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Bob, I have been as upfront with everyone as I will always be. This receiver is a great machine and we are working on some of the improvements as actively as we can. We did I treat you wrong?

As far as Glorystar and Christian television is concerned, this product is going to be an amazing product. So far it is outperforming our previous products. What is your particular complaint? Please advise,
Eugene
I don't have any issue with Glorystar. As far as your "treating" us wrong, I putchased this under the assumption that it was a quad core receiver with 64GB of internal memory. Then I got it, found out it was single core, 16GB internal memory, and woefully underpowered for any future expansion of newer IPTV functions. The dealer I bought it from offered a refund, I declined based on promises from you that it would get substantially better, that was a month ago. Still has issues with recording, timeshifting, and moving satellite positions. Also, seems sluggish. I do not see that getting better based on past performance. I think this was released way before it should have been.

Be honest and stop with the nonsense and double talk. This is a released product, no matter what you may say, it's in end user hands and advertised for sale to end users as a finished product.
Raine, I understand. I agree.

Weather the development is final or not, this product is in stock and available for sales. This product is also being used by many people. I sell to projects that do not require certain things that are still being worked on.

I will say more. The features demanded and requested here on satelliteguys.us forum are just reasonable and have always been. The reason I personally joined this forum over ten years ago, is because we have a group of hobbyists that love FTA and what it does. The reason I am in this business, is because we love the extra we can pull from it. That is why we will relentlessly invest into this community and we are committed to change.

Thank you for your passionate investment into this. I appreciate every opinion, advise or criticism. But let's stay on point. Let's stick to the actual bugs and issues.

I think this was released way before it should have been.
I do agree. The motor options, the streaming, the Music Choice channels, the IPTV additional formats - all these were not needed before and were not part of previous international releases.

By bringing additional value to this receiver we also brought all the bugs with it and we are very near resolving most of them. Our intention is to resolve the bugs and promote this receiver as the new Glorystar receiver. As is, it already outperforms the previous generations in many ways, but not all.

I personally apologize for the misinformation that was unintentionally released on the chip being quad and some how you got the 16Gb, which we can upgrade at no cost to you, just send me your receiver and i will upgrade the USB drive inside to 64Gb. We also have option of upgrading to Solid state drive - 240Gb is $120 and 500Gb is $200.

I should have asked about the RAM in this box before buying and this whole thing could have been avoided. The 256MB DDR3 RAM spec was absent from this thread until post #157 (after I looked at the DDR3 chip).

Next time I will find out the RAM before buying -- lesson learned.

I would like to thank Eugene for the refund and for making customers happy. Although the receiver, so far, has turned out to be less than we had hoped for, Eugene and SatelliteAV have stood behind the product and made sure customers are happy whether it costs them or not. I would not hesitate to do business with them again.

I should have asked about the RAM in this box before buying and this whole thing could have been avoided. The 256MB DDR3 RAM spec was absent from this thread until post #157 (after I looked at the DDR3 chip).

Next time I will find out the RAM before buying -- lesson learned.
Brett, I have learned too. I will make sure you will abuse Rex before anyone else. I appreciate the honesty and transparency everyone is approaching this subject.

Reactions: N6BY
Brett, I have learned too. I will make sure you will abuse Rex before anyone else. I appreciate the honesty and transparency everyone is approaching this subject.
Great, looking forward to it. I can certainly give you an honest and accurate assessment.

As for the wish list -- the functionality described in the 3500 manual sounds pretty good. (I actually read it cover to cover before I turned on the 3500 the first time). Loadable apps would be nice, along with the latest version of Kodi, and a Sat->IP server. Please keep the ACM tuning ability and wired ethernet like the 3500 has (WiFi is slow in some environments). I think for hobbyists it would be good if this was based on a quad-core processor with 1 GB RAM.

I have added quite a few channels to the IPTV channel menu. I have tried deleting some that I know that I won't be watching. When I delete a single channel it will also delete other channels that I did not intend to delete.
Also, I have about 5 different titled menu pages to flip through on my channel menu. 4 pages were installed with the 992 firmware upgrade and I myself created the 5th channel menu page.
1. Is there any way for the user to delete a page once it has been emptied of channels?
2. Is there a file folder or somewhere that I can navigate to to clean up the disorganized mess that I have created?
3. Do all of the channels that are listed by the firmware have to remain or will they continue to repopulate the menu after they are removed?

I can't see a thing on the internal drive except for 2 folders, a record folder and a LOST.DIR folder. Both appear empty when I browse to them through the IPTV/Settings/Import path.
There seems to be very little user interface with the IPTV menu for performing clean up, maintenance, and organization. I am looking for a little guidance and adding some possible issues to the END of our HDVR 3500 attention list...Thanks!

I do agree. The motor options, the streaming, the Music Choice channels, the IPTV additional formats - all these were not needed before and were not part of previous international releases.

By bringing additional value to this receiver we also brought all the bugs with it and we are very near resolving most of them. Our intention is to resolve the bugs and promote this receiver as the new Glorystar receiver. As is, it already outperforms the previous generations in many ways, but not all.

I personally apologize for the misinformation that was unintentionally released on the chip being quad and some how you got the 16Gb, which we can upgrade at no cost to you, just send me your receiver and i will upgrade the USB drive inside to 64Gb. We also have option of upgrading to Solid state drive - 240Gb is $120 and 500Gb is $200.

Thank you for that offer, but Dave from GotCband took care of that quite some time ago [and very quickly, thanks, Dave] by refunding part of the purchase price, I think it was $43. It was enough for me to buy a bigger flash drive to install in the unit.

As far as the Glorystar side of this receiver, that is of zero interest/use to me and the performance on that side of it is thus irrelevant to me. You could make that do wonders and it would be of no consequence to me. To many others also, I would assume. Maybe you should release a firmware without all the Glorystar options in it? That would be easy enough to do, just release the firmware the receiver shipped with, seeing as how the receiver came with XBMC, IPTV, etc already. Unless the receiver manufacturer just didn't code it right to begin with and these bugs existed right from the get go before you introduced the Glorystar options.

Reactions: wallyhts
Oops, I guess disregard my above post, I see you were responding to Bobvick and not me in that post I responded to above.

Sticking to topic with the issues I had, as asked too. Which I was, before I had my blow up. If you care to ignore them now, feel free, I don't really care and am not going to bother posting about them again.:

992 firmware:

I've never been much of a fan of IPTV because links tend to disappear and not work and then have to be cleaned out/up, fiddled with, etc. But, the IPTV on the HDVR3500 does seem to work well. I did notice that deleting channels out of it isn't quite right yet though. Some channels in the channel lists don't show for me in the delete listings and it looks like there's no way to delete/make categories?
Some radio stations show in the delete menu for IPTV too, but don't show anywhere in the main IPTV channel selection area that I can find.

On a different subject, I was renaming channels on a sat the other day and every time when I entered the Edit Service menu, the receiver jumps to a different channel. Just tried it again now on 101W, receiver is set on MeTV and once I entered the Edit service menu, it jumped to Movies. And no, it's not a simple matter of moving to the desired channel and all is good. Sometimes that does work, sometimes it will edit the channel it had jumped to [the wrong one] even though it is displaying specs for the one moved to. Very annoying.
One time it locked the channel and I can't get it unlocked, went through the steps on locking/unlocking, rebooted the receiver, channel still locked. Maybe a bug, or I could be missing a step or something, as I never lock channels. Very annoying, as I rename all channels I watch, unless they already have the correct name. This edit function did work fine in the previous firmware, pretty much unreliable now.

Changed batteries again today, for about the millionth time. This thing chews through remote batteries like crazy. I guess no one else but me has this problem, but hey, If I'm to be a unpaid Beta tester, I'm going to list whatever b*tches I have.

Record doesn't seem any better that I can tell, seems pretty much the same as before.

I see the same 'tuner weirdness' that Skysurfer reported. In the past with my other receivers, I relied heavily on the Signal and Quality readings, but this receiver just doesn't display them correctly. I realize that a tuner will not display these with 100% accuracy, but the HDVR3500 isn't even close, most of the time.

Another problem I have which is annoying me to no end is when I am on one of my Ku fixed dishes and then move to a channel on the motorized C dish the receiver will not display any video or sound. I have to move to another sat or two on the motorized dish and then go back to what I wanted to watch to get it to display anything. I'd had this problem before and Brian had suggested making sure that the first transponder listed for each satellite was a active one and doing that had fixed the issue then but doesn't work now, now it does it no matter what's first in the list.

The receiver will show Q and all, [it will do it on a channel with 80 Q or better even, it's not a low signal problem] it's going to the correct sat, locking on the channel and all, just won't display video/sound for whatever reason. On this particular setup, I have the HDVR3500 to a V Box, then a 8X1 Amiko DISEqC switch, connected to a C band dish and four fixed dishes. All work perfectly with my MicroHD in there in place of the HDVR3500. I haven't tried it on my other setup.

Is XBMC going to be eventually replaced with Kodi and less restricted? As it is now, it leaves a lot to be desired.

disregard the XBMC question.

I will like to share my evaluation.

I serve as a volunteer Technical Director in LLBN Latino. Most of the local viewers I have met have only one dish with a fixed position. We are exploring distribution over ip and the newest media distribution via streaming channels as well as social media to interact with our viewers.

So, now, evaluating this product has given us the opportunity to add the our iptv channel in 720p which is an upgrade to the SD of the Sat broadcast. Until now, I have tested the fixed dish setting, and the IPTV channel. We are happy with the results.

No testing has been done in the DVR area.

As we would love to go towards live streaming channels and social media, we would like to see the possibilities of a faster machine with more ram, more usb ports for mouse and keyboard to make it interactive and maybe later a use of a camera.

I think that as we have more and more access to the internet the tendency would be more PC use than just broadcasting. At least, for us, in LLBN Latino, it is important to interact with the tv audience.

We still think that in those places where there is no internet access (or slow access) an STB would be of great use, as well as for those with mobile needs (rv, boats, etc,) In that case we would welcome a unit with a solar panel, an batteries.

I would think that a unit with a quad processor and 4 gig ram and 64 SSD and maybe at least 2 USB2 and 2 USB3 ports for about $100 would be a great starting unit for the basic user with a good browser with flash, streaming apps (livestream, ustream, youtube, etc) and Social Media apps (fb, and others) as well as STB would be a great marketing product.

As a broadcaster a "all-in-one" mobile powerful multi access small rugged with a multicast app available unit would be a nice little toy that I can see myself using at home, studio, conferences, demo, hotel, vacation, etc.

Thank you Eugene for what you do expanding the possibilities for us to deliver the content we share. We will be very happy to evaluate more products like this.

Mephi

I serve as a volunteer Technical Director in LLBN Latino. Most of the local viewers I have met have only one dish with a fixed position. We are exploring distribution over ip and the newest media distribution via streaming channels as well as social media to interact with our viewers.

So, now, evaluating this product has given us the opportunity to add the our iptv channel in 720p which is an upgrade to the SD of the Sat broadcast. Until now, I have tested the fixed dish setting, and the IPTV channel. We are happy with the results.

As we would love to go towards live streaming channels and social media, we would like to see the possibilities of a faster machine with more ram, more usb ports for mouse and keyboard to make it interactive and maybe later a use of a camera.

I think that as we have more and more access to the internet the tendency would be more PC use than just broadcasting. At least, for us, in LLBN Latino, it is important to interact with the tv audience.

We still think that in those places where there is no internet access (or slow access) an STB would be of great use, as well as for those with mobile needs (rv, boats, etc,) In that case we would welcome a unit with a solar panel, an batteries.

I would think that a unit with a quad processor and 4 gig ram and 64 SSD and maybe at least 2 USB2 and 2 USB3 ports for about $100 would be a great starting unit for the basic user with a good browser with flash, streaming apps (livestream, ustream, youtube, etc) and Social Media apps (fb, and others) as well as STB would be a great marketing product.

As a broadcaster a "all-in-one" mobile powerful multi access small rugged with a multicast app available unit would be a nice little toy that I can see myself using at home, studio, conferences, demo, hotel, vacation, etc.

Thank you Eugene for what you do expanding the possibilities for us to deliver the content we share. We will be very happy to evaluate more products like this.

Mephi

PS, Would anybody please share step by step instructions to edit the IPTV channel links.

Why ship a receiver with solar panels if you're going to need another power source for your TV anyway? You can have a solar powered STB today as long as it has a 'DC in'. Most require 12 volts and 1.5 to 2 amps capacity.

A solar panel wouldn't be very feasible. You'd also need a battery and charge controller to go with it, unless you only plan to watch TV during the daytime on sunny days. But a batt + CC would still be needed to keep the current and voltage at steady levels too, not fluctuating as the sunshine varies from clouds, etc. Especially the voltage, 12 volt panels output can go up to 17-24 volts in full sun, if not run through a charge controller.

The physical size of the panel would be big too if just a standalone panel, needing at least a amp or two output at a guess, so 50W or so, so around 2'X2'? Probably a 7.5 a/hr SLA batt to last through night time TV watching, would be around a hundred or so for all that alone, assuming quality components are used.

Over 10W you need a charge controller to be safe too, so doesn't seem workable, at least, not without being pricey.

Mephi
This sounds like a good candidate message for the REX discussion.

On topic:

Came home today and my HDVR3500 was locked up solid. No picture/sound, no functions working from remote or buttons on the unit. Had to power it down from switch on the back, then it worked again. I leave it on 24/7, have had this happen at least three times before. I mentioned this problem before way back in post #432.

When I think of "Rex" this comes to mine lol.
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1441328924.591458.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)