GEOSATpro HDVR3500 - New DVBS2 STB - Photos and Initial Testing

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Goodbye Cat_4558958258_o.jpg

Who would have thought two months ago -- a new STB intro turns into a discussion of stuffed dinosaurs. You just can't make this stuff up. :)

It's great that we can laugh about this. I hope no one is still taking this too seriously.

Reactions: fred555 and KE4EST
Anyone know how to manually enter PIDs on this receiver? I want to add radio channels from 103W that won't scan in using the blind scan or network scan. For example: from transponder 12145/V/20000 - 80's Hits - VPID 0 (blank), APID 7499, PCR 7499. I have a list of about 100 radio channels that the only way to add/listen to them is to manually add them.

The latest firmware has been released and I am very impressed with what they have accomplished! They have additional releases scheduled, but in my opinion, the HDVR3500 is ready for some playtime! :crowdbounce

The update via the internet was simple and took about 30 seconds. I am running the unit in FTA mode. It kept my WiFi password, but I realized that I should have backed up my channel list first. They are aware that in the FTA mode the satellite settings and channels are overwritten with the default during the firmware upgrade, and this will be corrected in a future update. No biggy for me at this time, but good that it will protect user settings in the near future.

The USALS and DiSEqC 1.2 motor control is working very well and satellite / transponder list editing is available in the install menu. YouTube, Google Maps, Weather (in Celsius) work well. I am blown away at the streaming format types that it supports! I just realized that it supports both CC types of CC-608 and 708! I did notice that the channel banner does not always show CC is present, but if CC is activated, it is displayed. They are aware of this and it is being worked on. I was incorrect yesterday about having North American satellites installed.... Not only does it have the North American satellites, it is a global list.

I would agree that the unit seem much less dependent on an internet connection. I need to see how the time setting works in manual mode and how it keeps sync without internet connection, but that would be my main thought at this point. Easy enough to test, but haven't yet. It is updated via either Internet or satellite via G19 KU band as an automatic or manual function.

The USB option is just that. What is the first USB drive option presented by default. I was told that if a USB drive is plugged in the front port, it automatically becomes the default. If no USB drive is connected, the internal 64GB is the default.

Havent done any timer DVR yet, but the few things I did record have played back. :D Looks like there are good navigation keys during playback, but yet to be tested.

The weather will display fahrenheit by pressing the blue (Media) button while in the weather app (firmware I'm using is 992)

Something that would be useful, if possible, since it's linux based, how about USB or Bluetooth keyboard support? Then it would make it easy to edit transponders, satellites, channels, etc...

The receiver was locked up solid again this morning, no response to controls from the remote or buttons on the unit at all. Had to flip the switch on the back. It's been hot here the last few days, 80's-90's. I guess no more leaving this receiver on 24/7, when it gets hot out, it can't handle it. Plenty of ventilation around it, on a shelf with 3'' above it, 5'' or so on either side, completely clear front and back, in the same spot my MicroHD was in. Spot that it looks like my MicroHD is probably going back into, this receiver has a place reserved right next to my X2.

Actually, no, it's less reliable than the X2, that's one is on a shelf in a room upstairs where it gets a lot hotter than downstairs where this one is.

The receiver was locked up solid again this morning, no response to controls from the remote or buttons on the unit at all. Had to flip the switch on the back. It's been hot here the last few days, 80's-90's. I guess no more leaving this receiver on 24/7, when it gets hot out, it can't handle it. Plenty of ventilation around it...
I noticed that the layer of heatsink glue was much thicker than it should be when I took mine off. When its too thick like that it can act as a thermal insulator, and not conduct the heat up through the heatsink like its supposed to. I have some leftover Arctic Aluminum Thermal Adhesive if you want to redo yours -- just let me know and I'll mail it to you.

Reactions: . Raine
I noticed that the layer of heatsink glue was much thicker than it should be when I took mine off. When its too thick like that it can act as a thermal insulator, and not conduct the heat up through the heatsink like its supposed to. I have some leftover Arctic Aluminum Thermal Adhesive if you want to redo yours -- just let me know and I'll mail it to you.

Thanks for that offer, N6BY! I have some here though and I can try that, so no need to send me some. You just made me have a 'duh' moment though, I should've thought to check that. :facepalm

Thanks for suggesting that, I will redo the heat sink compound. :clapping

I just had a thought, idea, for SatAv...probably a stupid one, but I'll voice it anyway and hopefully not drop another turd into this thread. Maybe when 'Rex' materializes in the future as what this receiver was supposed to be, for those few North American, not the 4000 units sold elsewhere in the world that work all right, just the initial NA users who bought a HDVR3500 right at the release? exhibition? get go? [don't know what word to use, as this receiver isn't released, so I've been told :confused: ] that aren't satisfied with it, a free exchange could be made, HDVR3500 for 'Rex'?

Found the HDVR3500 locked-up on the test bench yesterday. Power cycled and just checked via Sling and no response again this morning. Could the lock-up be the result of an automatic update malfunction with .992?

I previously removed the heat sink and then reset with new thermal paste. Doubt the lock-up is related to the heat sink and not a big believer in coincidences.

How can the automatic update be disabled?

Reactions: . Raine
I think you are on to something Brian. My also locks up once or twice every 24 hours.
If I am watching during the lock-up. It flashes something on the screen about network failure.
My LAN is always fine during this, so it has to be that it is trying to call home, and having an issue.
How can the whole internet side be disabled, if one wants to solely use this receiver for satellite reception?

Does the unit still attempt an update with the network disabled? Anyway to disable automatic update without disabling the network?

Agree with Elkview that the disabled network would then create time issues. Probably not the best solution to disable the network.

I have to say... mine is still running well. But I think I know the reason why... mine is still running the firmware it came with.

Works great for NBC which is what I mostly use it for. :)

Good! When do you estimate the next public release?

This will help narrow down the issue. Do you think the update might be associated with the lock-ups or are we barking up the wrong tree?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)

Latest posts