Getting Back into Ham Radio

ScooterS

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 14, 2003
I've been licensed since 1969. However, I've not done much for 20-30 years.
I went to a garage sale about 3 weeks ago looking for Shopsmith stuff and found myself at the home of a silent key.

To make a long story short, I now have a BAHR (Big A$$ Ham Radio). It's an old TenTec Omni D. I also picked up a Vibroplex keyer in great shape. The whole thing has turned into a "free dog" project (Their ain't no such thing as a free dog). I've since bought ground wire, a G5RV jr antenna, coax, connectors..... you get the idea.
Just got the antenna put up in the attic of my 2 story home and am hearing real well. I made a couple of quick contacts in Florida and here in Texas.

I then decided to key up the old Kenwood dual-band handheld. It would RX, but TX dropped out. Yep, I went out and bought a new dual-band handheld. I picked up one of the new Chinese TYT radios. It is Part 90 approved which gives me some channels for my "day job." All for $129!!

I got looking closer, I think that I have a bad cell or 2 in the battery on the old Kenwood, which will let it RX, but not TX. Yep.... new battery is now on order.

I'm really thrilled with both of the rigs and the coverage. I was really relieved to see how well the old HF rig worked. The new TYT is a lot easier to program than the Kenwood, but has a manual wose than a kid's toy assembly manual at Chrismas.

73s!

I used to own a Omni D very nice radio for the time!! Do you have the WARC bands in it? (17 and 30 meters) If not you can call TenTec and order the crystals for them! TenTec still services that rig as well.

Bob N1WBD

I've been licensed since 1969. However, I've not done much for 20-30 years.
I went to a garage sale about 3 weeks ago looking for Shopsmith stuff and found myself at the home of a silent key.

To make a long story short, I now have a BAHR (Big A$$ Ham Radio). It's an old TenTec Omni D. I also picked up a Vibroplex keyer in great shape. The whole thing has turned into a "free dog" project (Their ain't no such thing as a free dog). I've since bought ground wire, a G5RV jr antenna, coax, connectors..... you get the idea.
Just got the antenna put up in the attic of my 2 story home and am hearing real well. I made a couple of quick contacts in Florida and here in Texas.

I then decided to key up the old Kenwood dual-band handheld. It would RX, but TX dropped out. Yep, I went out and bought a new dual-band handheld. I picked up one of the new Chinese TYT radios. It is Part 90 approved which gives me some channels for my "day job." All for $129!!

I got looking closer, I think that I have a bad cell or 2 in the battery on the old Kenwood, which will let it RX, but not TX. Yep.... new battery is now on order.

I'm really thrilled with both of the rigs and the coverage. I was really relieved to see how well the old HF rig worked. The new TYT is a lot easier to program than the Kenwood, but has a manual wose than a kid's toy assembly manual at Chrismas.

73s!

Glad the bug has hit ya... It has kinda started hitting me also, but with work and such it is hard for me to ham it up the way I use to when I lived down in South Carolina. Every so often I will check out 20 meters and try to make a few contacts, but by the time I get home 20 is pretty much a dead wasteland. Once we get past summer and then head into fall I want to get a simple G5RV up atleast that way I can hit some of the other bands... CC/KT4SJ

The rig has the 2 crystal filters, but not the WARC bands. Any idea what the crystals cost??

Oh Yeah... My other project was to find a good earth ground. I couldn't find one so I ended up driving an 8' ground pole 7' into the ground. Our Texas soils normally don't allow for such pile driving, but somehow it worked. Unfortuanely, I didn't have a sledge hammer around and drove the pole with the back of an axe. That was about 10 days ago. I've finally regained most of the feeling in my hands between the thumbs and index fingers. Each good strike seemed to drive the rod about 1/8 of an inch. Good exercise on a 98 degree day!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts