ginpix, dvbtech & 8psk module

Status
Please reply by conversation.

grusome

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
Besides what others use these devices for, I have been curious as to what people are able to receive that is FTA with either the genpix or dvbtech USB devices and a 8psk module. Is there that much stuff availabe that having these devices is worth spending the money for? Just to be clear, I have the genpix and 8psk setup on order myself,,,,,,,,,so, I'm hoping for some insight on what to look forward to using this setup will get me.
Of course you might say that it's too late now if I have already ordered this setup and technically you would be correct. But, I like playing with this stuff so, even if the gain is not all that much, it won't be a huge loss. And besides that, I have tons of dishes, receivers and other hardware that if I were to figure up how much I've spent on them, (some free and others not free) then what I ordered is really a drop in the bucket compared to all the other things I have purchased in the past.
Just wanted to start a thread that got into this subject a bit more since I have read several posts from users here that use these same devices.
grusome

Besides what others use these devices for, I have been curious as to what people are able to receive that is FTA with either the genpix or dvbtech USB devices and a 8psk module. Is there that much stuff availabe that having these devices is worth spending the money for? Just to be clear, I have the genpix and 8psk setup on order myself,,,,,,,,,so, I'm hoping for some insight on what to look forward to using this setup will get me.
Of course you might say that it's too late now if I have already ordered this setup and technically you would be correct. But, I like playing with this stuff so, even if the gain is not all that much, it won't be a huge loss. And besides that, I have tons of dishes, receivers and other hardware that if I were to figure up how much I've spent on them, (some free and others not free) then what I ordered is really a drop in the bucket compared to all the other things I have purchased in the past.
Just wanted to start a thread that got into this subject a bit more since I have read several posts from users here that use these same devices.
grusome

Feed discussions belong in the "What's up there?" forum... any feed discussions here will be deleted by the mods.

Feed discussions belong in the "What's up there?" forum... any feed discussions here will be deleted by the mods.
Sorry, I guess I was not clear in my post. I don't want specific feed info. I
was hoping for a more generalized type of discusssion. I was hoping to find
out if there were FTA signals out there that used some of the modulations
that these devices are capable of working with. I was not wanting to get:
Try AMC3 Transponder #** , freq.*** and you'll get GrusomeTV's national
feed, or anything that specific.
Besides that, as I understand it, the "What's up there?" forum is a closed
forum. Is that not correct? Or is it limited to members who contribute financially?
I simply wanted to find out if using the setup I'm waiting to receive will offer something more than what I can get with my Twinhan 1020a.
grusome

I remember reading in another thread a Moderator did say that the WUT section is a closed forum; it would be nice if new members could join, but if you scan for feeds regularly you would know where to look when you want to find something. I know this does not help with 8psk though.

I understand what you are saying. I do scan regularly with my Pansat 2700a on different sats and have found a lot of interesting stuff besides what is listed in places like Lyngsat. But, for the other modulation methods the devices I am talking about are capable of, there is not that much available info. Besides what the hacking crowd want them for, I was simply wondering how useful they really are. I guess the answer is to use it when I get it and find out for myself.
Shame though that things like this cannot be shared without folks becoming paranoid.
grusome

Not paranoid... I've had C-band since early 80's before any encryption systems... loose lips sink ships is my motto.. as I had to get VCII to keep getting what I had gotten for free...

As did I. But, the VCII came about because someone was worried about us seeing their stuff without paying. And encryption was a way to keep us out until we paid them to watch. Of course that didn't keep piracy away either. And there is still programming in the clear on C-band.
Again, I am not exactly interested in specifics as I stated in my second post. I was more interested in finding out if other users of these devices did find enough content (non-dbs) that used the different modulation schemes that these devices are capable of working with , that they felt that their investment in these devices was worth it . But, like I said, I have one on the way now, so, I'll find out soon enough for myself.
One thing I have always thought, I don't think that the people that start out uplinking stuff in the clear have someone trolling the different Sat websites trying to find out who might or might not be watching their feeds. I think the way it happens is the feed may start out unscrambled and once all the equipment is in place on both ends ( uplink and downlink(s) ) they make the decision to switch over to scrambling their feed(s). Not because someone on some website reported that they just saw a movie or tv show in the clear.
A good example is a service on C-band that uplinked movies (similar to Dish & DTV's ppv content) in the clear for over a year, before finally scrambling their feed.
There were several posts in different places about if for a long time. And finally the feed was scrambled. And then there were several people saying "oh no, it's gone and it's because we talked about it!" I don't believe that at all. I believe that since that feed was intended for some cable headends, that they had to wait that long for all the equipment to be in place and working properly before switching. .............
But, that's just my opinion and I'm sure there are others who feel differently.
I have no intention of violating this website or any other's rules against posting anything specific about feeds that I find. I simply wanted to know how useful the devices I mentioned really were.
grusome

I think you can request mods to let you in WUT... you have to make the request to them directly or something if I remember correctly on how I got in.

Thanks mastermesh. I may give that a try. It doesn't even appear on any pages for me as it used to do. That is why I thought it had been taken down. And I also remember a few posts in the past about it as well. I had gotten the impression that it had become a closed forum.
grusome

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts