Good News on RTV!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am still rather new at figuring out most of this fta setup.. I've done pretty good in that i've been able to find 97w by just pointing and moving the dish manually... i'm trying to do the same for the 87w satellite. I would really like to have the rtv if i can. I'm using a starchoice dish to get the 97w but i also have a bell dish and an old (original) starchoice dish beside to use for the 87w test. I'm in the St. John's Newfoundland area (cbs to be more precise). I've found the data i need for my area ( 26 elevation 222 north and 27skew).... I'm still a little confused though: should i be trying to get the ku 87w feed? i'm thinking i should since i don't have a large c-band dish... and is this even possible (using ku starchoice or bell dish) with 87w from my location? The footprint seems to suggest it is possible. I'm trying to get all the needed info to set this up right so any advice is welcomed... settings: 3800 H , SR: 29125-5/6 is there anything else i'm missing? i'm also using the reciever: cw600s CaptiveWorks .........thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Getting RTV on AMC3 is a hit and miss with many here.3080 is the weaker of the two tps and is even harder to get.I would try 4080h/29125.If your receiver wont do DVB-s2 then you wont get RTV on this satellite.I have a 6 footer and have had RTV on 4080 but have recently lost it do to a recent storm.It can be found with a 6 footer but bigger is better in this case except i have heard that some with dishes as big as a 1o footer cant get RTV on AMC3.This is a very touchy signal to get.

DVB (or DVB-S) is the "main" way of transmitting signals digitally (for free to air). All receivers can see these signals. Most signals up there are DVB
DVB-S2 is newer. It allows you to fit more channels in a smaller space bandwidth wise. The drawback of S2 is you need a very precise signal to get the channels which usually requires a larger dish than normal. Only a few receivers can do S2

I am still rather new at figuring out most of this fta setup.. I've done pretty good in that i've been able to find 97w by just pointing and moving the dish manually... i'm trying to do the same for the 87w satellite. I would really like to have the rtv if i can. I'm using a starchoice dish to get the 97w but i also have a bell dish and an old (original) starchoice dish beside to use for the 87w test. I'm in the St. John's Newfoundland area (cbs to be more precise). I've found the data i need for my area ( 26 elevation 222 north and 27skew).... I'm still a little confused though: should i be trying to get the ku 87w feed? i'm thinking i should since i don't have a large c-band dish... and is this even possible (using ku starchoice or bell dish) with 87w from my location? The footprint seems to suggest it is possible. I'm trying to get all the needed info to set this up right so any advice is welcomed... settings: 3800 H , SR: 29125-5/6 is there anything else i'm missing? i'm also using the reciever: cw600s CaptiveWorks .........thanks for any help.

With those surplus Ku band dishes, I think the RTV feed you should try for is on AMC9 83w Ku, 11735H, 4440. Have a look at the EIRP maps on lyngsat.com to see if you have enough signal for your dish size. I'm using a 76cm dish here in Idaho, USA for RTV / TUFFtv on AMC 9 83w Ku, and the signal is reliable in all but the very worst weather.

Thank you for the information. I am still wondering: if i can get bell with subscription on 91w / 82w , would it be reasonable to think i can get 87w since it's between? Perhaps its just more fine tuning with positioning of dish? .. thank you hwm, i will try that...

So they plan on doing this on C-Band and not Ku-Band? This would really limit the number of people that would want to put up a dish to tune these in.

Thank you for the information. I am still wondering: if i can get bell with subscription on 91w / 82w , would it be reasonable to think i can get 87w since it's between?
you need to get 83w if you're trying to get RTV on Starchoice/Bell dishes
RTV on 87w requires big 8-12' dishes
If you subscribe to bell and can get 82 you hould be able to 83

Last edited:
Word is the Ku feed on AMC 9 is going bye-bye.

AMC-3 C-Band RTV on 3800

Hopefully, what that post means is for the downlinks they should use the new C-band transponder as a back-up for their feeds (and not the Ku-band feeds) and that the Ku transponder won't disappear completely (but will be left for us FTAers). But, being generally a pessimist...
(And it's not whether the glass is half full or half empty, the question is "who has been drinking out of my glass!")

I guess i'm back to square one. I am not in the foot print for the 83w according to satbeams site, unless for C-band .. but i am in the foot print for the ku 87 west. I thought i may be able to get it on 87w via bell or starchoice dish.

well thank you for the help anyway.. maybe someone there at rtv will read this and have pity and put it on 97w for me.. i get that one nicely.. he he:D

I saw this posted on FB's RTV page the other day and some idiot said "This is illegal to receive these RTV channels via FTA satellite".

Don't know if you saw my recent post, but I receive all the RTV channels (4080H) just fine even in DVB-S2 format using a 4' Channel Master dish here in Pittsburgh, PA. Signal is a solid 82%.

Don't know if you saw my recent post, but I receive all the RTV channels (4080H) just fine even in DVB-S2 format using a 4' Channel Master dish here in Pittsburgh, PA. Signal is a solid 82%.

the op trying to get 87w RTV on Cband is in Newfoundland. 4' wouldn't cut it

I see that Me tv may soon be adding batman,lost in space and star trek.Shows like this were icons in the 60s and i believe many of the baby boomer's from that era woud love to see them again which will make Me TV bigger than ever.RTV needs to do the same to survive!Here are some i would love to be raised from the dead! Time Tunnel,Voyage to the bottom of the sea,space 1999,land of the giants,f troop.So many others too and Me tv does have some of them like get smart,hogans Heroes,wild wild west,petticoat junction.Wake up RTV and smell the coffee.

Coming SOON Mr. Luken will begin broadcasting all national feeds of his stations in DVB-S format! He is doing this as he see's a lot of SatelliteGuys members are having issues tuning into his DVB-S2 Signals and in addition he believes that television should be FREE.

well on 137W there are placeholders but no channels yet

137W
H
DVB-S

Channels log in as
TUFE (tuff tv)
FTVE (my family tv)
PBJE (PBJ)
FGOE (unknown????)
LUC2 (assume test card)
RTVE (RTV)
QC1 (assume another test card)...this one is MPEG4. Pansat logs it as radio but Manhattan logs it as a TV channel

well on 137W there are placeholders but no channels yet

137W
H
DVB-S

Channels log in as
TUFE (tuff tv)
FTVE (my family tv)
PBJE (PBJ)
FGOE (unknown????)
LUC2 (assume test card)
RTVE (RTV)
QC1 (assume another test card)...this one is MPEG4. Pansat logs it as radio but Manhattan logs it as a TV channel

RTVE seems to be working at that location. It looks like they're airing Starsky and Hutch at the moment. Didn't see anything on TUFF as of yet. It looks like FTVE may be working as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)