Google Scores NFL Sunday Ticket Package

No they have reporters and celebrities..not untrained bloggers..same concept..just the networks have been doing it for years
I think you may be missing the difference between what is currently done, which sounds like will still happen, and the additional coverage YT is planning to add. Now, I am not saying it is going to work or make them a lot of money, but what they are planning is additive, not a replacement. The goal being to attract an audience more valuable to advertisers, and the additional content being on YT, not part of the ST coverage on YTTV. At least that is how I understand what was reported.

Reactions: cosmo_kramer
I think you may be missing the difference between what is currently done, which sounds like will still happen, and the additional coverage YT is planning to add. Now, I am not saying it is going to work or make them a lot of money, but what they are planning is additive, not a replacement. The goal being to attract an audience more valuable to advertisers, and the additional content being on YT, not part of the ST coverage on YTTV. At least that is how I understand what was reported.
Its adding nothing substantial..bloggers already cover the games..really nuthin of value there that hasn't already been done

Its adding nothing substantial..bloggers already cover the games..really nuthin of value there that hasn't already been done
It may not be be of any importance to you ( or me to be honest), but it might be to the under 30 crowd that were raised on that type of stuff and Google seems to know how to monetize that age range.

It may not be be of any importance to you ( or me to be honest), but it might be to the under 30 crowd that were raised on that type of stuff and Google seems to know how to monetize that age range.

Stop, we know you watch NFL on NICK :nana

View: https://media1.giphy.com/media/iXPREwuA7DvA9B70LM/giphy.gif

View: https://media2.giphy.com/media/BfYHI5IqsaI49eo2aa/giphy.gif

Yeah, I am not sure it will add anything substantial, but Google seems to think it will.

Sunday Ticket is a subscription-only package that gives customers access to all Sunday afternoon games for out-of-market teams. Some of the ads featured during the games available on Sunday Ticket will come from the local CBS and Fox telecasts, while others will be inserted and sold by YouTube itself.
So, no, YouTube is not overlaying the network ads. Just inserting the local slugs where the local stations show local ads. As always.

Some investors and media analysts have questioned whether YouTube will be able to turn a profit on Sunday Ticket. SVB MoffettNathanson analysts in January wrote that the package is likely to generate less than $100 million in ad revenue for YouTube a year.

So, do the math. Actually, $100M in ad revenue is very ambitious. CBS and Fox don't charge that much on a per viewer basis, and an ad by on the regular telecast gets seen by vastly more people.

The full season of Sunday Ticket will cost $349 for people who subscribe to YouTube TV’s base video-service package, which includes major broadcast and cable networks and costs $72.99 a month. Consumers who want Sunday Ticket but don’t want to subscribe to YouTube TV’s other offerings will pay $449. YouTube is offering a $100 discount to people signing up for Sunday Ticket before June 6.

Last season, DirecTV charged around $300 annually to its subscribers who had signed up for the service’s basic package of channels, which retails at $64.99 a month. Subscribing to just Sunday Ticket wasn’t an option. DirecTV had about 1.5 million subscribers last season, The Wall Street Journal has reported.

“The math doesn’t add up,” based on Sunday Ticket’s numbers under DirecTV, said Michael Nathanson, an analyst at MoffettNathanson.
No, it doesn't. The fundamental questions cannot be answered. If there is all this pent up demand for ST, why did only 1.5M have it? Now you can answer "streaming", but what about 10 years ago, when it was DirecTV, DISH, cable or do without? Why didn't everyone that wanted ST, have it? The answer, of course, is that they did.

The rest of the article (I am careful to not violate fair-use with the WSJ) is just nonsense about "creators" who are going to make some sort of videos, which, apparently people will watch instead of the ball games. Which is idiocy.

And, BTW, $349 is > $300.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
If YouTubers make content. YT gets all that ad revenue. There are equations, projections that I'm not privy to, but clearly Google has a plan. Time will tell how it works.

Some need to stop taking this too seriously. None of us get the rewards or suffer the punishment if the plan works or fails.

If YouTubers make content. YT gets all that ad revenue. There are equations, projections that I'm not privy to, but clearly Google has a plan. Time will tell how it works.

Some need to stop taking this too seriously. None of us get the rewards or suffer the punishment if the plan works or fails.
I own stock in Alphabet, but I am not worried, Google has $115 Billion in cash on hand, this NFL deal is just a blip to their overall business.

And for all those that keeps writing they will lose $2 Billion a year, that is only if no one signs up, no one buys advertising time and they get no one extra to sign up for YTTV, who by the way, I just found out, is the only Live TV Provider to gain subs in the first quarter this year, +300,000.

Well, I have bet heavily against streaming, which is to say on Sony and Fox and local OTA chains not named Sinclair (such as Gray and Nexstar). As the realities of the market become apparent and the wishful thinking investors (if I had bought $5 of Wal-Mart in 1965....) see that they are not in on the ground floor of the Next Big Thing, but rather in a technology that is entertaining, good, enjoyable, and unprofitable; I plan on enjoying it for a long time.

Well, I have bet heavily against streaming, which is to say on Sony and Fox and local OTA chains not named Sinclair (such as Gray and Nexstar). As the realities of the market become apparent and the wishful thinking investors (if I had bought $5 of Wal-Mart in 1965....) see that they are not in on the ground floor of the Next Big Thing, but rather in a technology that is entertaining, good, enjoyable, and unprofitable; I plan on enjoying it for a long time.
Sony-Electronics gained, Movie/TV Production dropped-

The ‘pictures division,’ which spans feature film, television production and TV network operations, saw sales shading down from $11 billion to $10.14 billion. But profits fell more steeply, dropping by more than half in comparison with the 2021-2022 period. Operating income for the division was reported as $894 million, compared with $1.94 billion.

Fox-

In its first earnings report since the high-profile Dominion lawsuit settlement, Fox posted a $50 million loss for its fiscal third quarter, despite revenue boosts from the Super Bowl and Tubi.

The company said the loss was “primarily due to charges associated with” legal settlement costs, meaning the $787 million charge will likely appear in Fox’s next quarterly report, rather than this one.

Next quarter will be brutal for Fox, there is no way I would invest in a company so dependent on per sub fees and advertising.

If anyone signed up for NFLST + RZC before it was known that RZC would count as one of your 2 "screens", I was able to cancel my sub via chat and then sign up to the standalone NFLST package. My account was credited back for the NFLST + RZC fee. You can then sign up to the Sports add-on for the NFL season to add RZC if you want.
It was quick, no questions asked.

Reactions: Yespage
Last edited:
Can't wait for this when the NFL gets started ... actually more likely when the playoffs get started as you'll have all the more people watching.
Why, playoffs are not on ST if more people are watching.

And the NFL Playoffs we’re on YTTV last year, no issues, year before, no issues.

Why, playoffs are not on ST if more people are watching.

And the NFL Playoffs we’re on YTTV last year, no issues, year before, no issues.
You mean the almighty NFL will force you to Stream the NFL all year (OOM) , yet you can get the playoffs on Everyday TV ???

They know where there bread and butter is at.

You mean the almighty NFL will force you to Stream the NFL all year (OOM) , yet you can get the playoffs on Everyday TV ???

They know where there bread and butter is at.
Was it not the same when ST was on DirecTV.

And I still be able to stream or watch OTA.
Playoffs-
Fox-OTA or rumors are they will put the games on Tubi ( I doubt it myself).
NBC-Peacock along with the exclusive game
CBS-Paramount+
ESPN-ESPN+ along with 12 MNF games announced to be on plus this upcoming season.

Super Bowl
CBS and Paramount+

Was it not the same when ST was on DirecTV.

And I still be able to stream or watch OTA.
Playoffs-
Fox-OTA or rumors are they will put the games on Tubi ( I doubt it myself).
NBC-Peacock along with the exclusive game
CBS-Paramount+
ESPN-ESPN+ along with 12 MNF games announced to be on plus this upcoming season.

Super Bowl
CBS and Paramount+
The important thing here is that they will all Still be on Local OTA with the exception to the 1 NBC/Peacock game, which I expect to get VERY LOW numbers.

However it will be touted as having the Most viewers ever ... for a Streaming Playoff game ... :oldlaugh