Got a call from "Dish Network Loyalty Dept" for 50% off. Is this legit?

fightinfalkin

Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
NJ
I received a call today from someone claiming to be from the Dish Network Loyalty Deptartment. I asked directly if he worked for Dish Network, and he said yes. He offered to give me 50% off my bill for 1 year, if I paid in advance. In other words, pay for 6 months of service, and receive 1 year of service. He said this was because I was a long-time customer. He even knew the exact amount of my monthly bill.

I asked for a callback number, and initiated a chat on dishnetwork.com to confirm if the phone number was legitimate. The rep online said it was legit, but for some reason, it still doesn't feel right to me.

Can anyone here let me know if they have received a similar offer, and if they are legit? I just want to make sure it's not a phishing scam.

Thank you!

NO, this is not a legitimate offer. DISH does not give a % discount for payment in full. Can you please PM me so I can get some specific information about this to pass along to our fraud department? Thank you!

What was the number they called from? also pm a dirt member here just to be on the safe side.

kudos maryb!

The OP said they initiated a chat with DISH online and the CSR confirmed the offer was legitimate? WTH??? Something definitely is stinking there. I hope the transcript was saved. I mean, after that a customer's concerns should be relieved. Wow.

Yes, but he said he was checking the phone number. The phone number can display a legitimate DISH number as part of a phishing scam. it is scary but you can make a call and have it display as any number you want. The offer is NOT a legitimate one.

To clarify, here is exactly what I asked the online CSR: "I just received a call from Dish Network Loyalty Rewards regarding a promotion for my account, to pay for 6 months upfront and receive 1 year of programming (i.e. 50% off). I just wanted to confirm that this was a legitimate offer. The callback number given was 1-800-xxx-xxxx."

After a little verification, etc. here is the response I received: "unfortunately we don't have any updates regarding this offer, that was offered to you. For loyalty we have a separate department and even you can call to that number and confirm, as you just received the call the details are not yet updated." I then asked specifically to confirm that it wasn't a scam, and he replied: "Yes. If you wish to take that offer, please contact that number the concern department will help you. Then you will be all set."

By the way, in addition to the 50% off, I was also told I'd receive HBO and Showtime free for 1 year. Also, I basically have Dish just for international programming. Do you think this could be a targeted offer to customers like me, considering that there are now lots of alternatives via IPTV boxes that are a lot cheaper? The guy that called knew the exact amount I paid monthly. How could anyone outside of Dish get this information?

P.S. I will PM you the number.

This is a very specific scam that is perpetrated against our international customers. I do not understand why the CSR you spoke with did not advise you of this but I would look to look into it further. Thank you!

I received a email from dish yesterday mentioning that dish will never call asking for personal info or account related info etc. will post the complete email from my computer tomorrow.

I got a copy of the email too! Here it is.

From time to time we want to remind you about some of our practices with respect to your privacy. Please know that DISH will never call you asking for personal information or information related to your DISH account. This includes the number for any DISH receiver on your account, your DISH account number or any security/payment information.

If you call DISH, our representatives will ask you for this or other information as a means to verify you as the account holder. We do this to prevent unauthorized changes to customer accounts.

Thank you for being a valued DISH customer.

Just to update: I tried another online chat, and this time the CSR confirmed that this is not a valid offer or phone number. Not sure why the first CSR was so clueless. Thank goodness my instinct told me that this just didn't seem right.

Of course, the guy called again last night, and when I told him I had contacted Dish, he promptly hung up! But then they tried again a few hours later... Can't Dish Network get this scam shut down?

Thanks.

I also just received this email a few days ago, they may have heard of some recent scams going around

Last edited:
Apparently these phone scams are in full flow. Yesterday I received a call from a machine asking me to press 1 to talk to someone to reclaim my visa reward. Lol I hung up.

Many times I or my wife receive calls from people pretending to be from banks telling us we have been pre approved for personal loans or credit card. We promptly tell them to sent that info by mail. The person then hangs the phone

sounds like someone at Dish started taking these complaints seriously enough to send out an email....

here's my recent experience with a scammer that wanted me to give him the receiver numbers: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...cam-Phone-calls-from-Google-Chat-760-705-8888

As Dish said in their email, they won't ask you for any of the info that these scammers require like account numbers and receiver numbers. If you do encounter someone like that, save the phone numbers plus any identifying info and forward it to DIRT.

The following Android & former Apple Apps are now used for Fraudulent purposes

Spoof call, where a person can enter in a number different from where they're actually calling from. Apple removed this App & it now appears as if Android did too.

Trap Call (same company) can unmask most blocked calls. Apple has removed this App as of late. I don't know about Android yet.

This type of phishing is on the rise and we deal with it a work, home too.

These type people actually called the work number & we traced the call down & provided the ASA the info.

Just keep them on the phone, but don't give info to them and make it sound like you're looking for the info. They'll play the game for awhile until you piss them off.

Last edited:
If there is no caller id info attached to a call we do not answer. 90% of these calls do not leave a message, 9% of the remainder are some type of robo call or a telemarketer that leave a message. The rest are legitimate and will get a call back or not depending on the message.
Even calla with valid caller id often are left to VM depending on rime of call
Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

Yes, but he said he was checking the phone number. The phone number can display a legitimate DISH number as part of a phishing scam. it is scary but you can make a call and have it display as any number you want. The offer is NOT a legitimate one.

Ahh, yes. I didn't read that right. I thought the OP went directly online to confirm. Sorry about that.

As confirmed earlier, it's not a legitimate offer.

I was called to inform me that the BB package would be available in PR including EPIX. Additionally, they promised to unblock all the channels that are blocked in our area would be available. Suuuuuure. In my dreams. I knew it was not DISH. It was (800) blo-ckon.:rant:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts