Got the Protection Plan

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I just looked at my bill online and it said protection plan active in 30 days at $5.99/m. NOT what the CSR said! I'm happy now. DirecTV also game me a $5.00 6 month credit so I have the plan for 99 cents a moth for 6 months. Problem solved.

NOTE: If you are being charged 7.99/m for plan, call and have it changed!

stuart628 said:
5.99 is for regular equipment, 7.99 is for dvrs and HD equipment.

I just got off the phone with a D* CSR and this is what she told me "If you purchased the protection plan before Jan. 2006 and you own a Dvr or HD equipment your price is $7.99 but if you purchase the plan after Jan. 2006 then your price will be $5.99 no matter what kind of receiver you own.

So is the protection plan actually worth getting?

Lets say your reciever goes bad, since it is leased, dont they send you out another one? Im guessing you will still have to pay 20 bucks for shipping if you do not have the protection plan. But at 5.99 or 7.99 a month, do you think your receiver will go bad every 3-4 months. Just trying to figure out if the plan is worth it?

When I activated my service last week, the CSR on the phone told me that not everything is covered under the protection plan. She gave me an example that if an installer has to visit, normally it would cost 70 bucks but if you have the plan its like 40 bucks. I'm thinking the protection plan is for suckers and another way for Directv to make some extra cash per month.

Anyone have any comments to this post.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
pazgb said:
So is the protection plan actually worth getting?

Lets say your reciever goes bad, since it is leased, dont they send you out another one? Im guessing you will still have to pay 20 bucks for shipping if you do not have the protection plan. But at 5.99 or 7.99 a month, do you think your receiver will go bad every 3-4 months. Just trying to figure out if the plan is worth it?

When I activated my service last week, the CSR on the phone told me that not everything is covered under the protection plan. She gave me an example that if an installer has to visit, normally it would cost 70 bucks but if you have the plan its like 40 bucks. I'm thinking the protection plan is for suckers and another way for Directv to make some extra cash per month.

Anyone have any comments to this post.

Thanks,
Mike

All warranties\protection plans are for suckers until something goes wrong. So I'm a sucker in the worst way. I almost always get the warranty\protection plan on any high priced item.

I will have to check back, but I'm almost certain any visit would be at no cost. i.e. Dish realignment\replacement, wiring problems, etc...

Well if someone can provide me with some documention that all in-home services are covered, I would sign-up, but the CSR only told me that the cost covered is like half the cost. Does anyone have any links that can prove that all costs are covered? Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that you are still charged shipping and handling on new receivers, so would you have to send the old reciever back if it is leased? Im guessing so, in that case that would be another shipping charge to send it back to DirecTV. Unless the best bet is to have an installer/service man come to your house and replace the unit at no shipping costs.

Ok I was just reading through some other threads and looks like if you lease your receiver and it goes bad, Directv will replace at no cost, except shipping. So really the only benefit is for older customer's that do not lease and own there equipment? or your dish needs to be replaced/realigned.

Last edited:
pazgb said:
Well if someone can provide me with some documention that all in-home services are covered, I would sign-up, but the CSR only told me that the cost covered is like half the cost. Does anyone have any links that can prove that all costs are covered? Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that you are still charged shipping and handling on new receivers, so would you have to send the old reciever back if it is leased? Im guessing so, in that case that would be another shipping charge to send it back to DirecTV. Unless the best bet is to have an installer/service man come to your house and replace the unit at no shipping costs.

Ok I was just reading through some other threads and looks like if you lease your receiver and it goes bad, Directv will replace at no cost, except shipping. So really the only benefit is for older customer's that do not lease and own there equipment? or your dish needs to be replaced/realigned.

Source: http://directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=900030

"The DIRECTV Protection Plan gives you the ultimate in professional technical services for your DIRECTV System, including:

* Covering the cost associated with replacing defective equipment, including remotes and receivers
* Coverage of wiring, satellite antenna,connections/switches and more
* Power surge-related repairs
* Dish antenna realignments
* 24-hour technical support
* In-home service calls"

Now, IANAL, but it seems to me, shipping would(should) be considered a 'cost associated with replacing defective equipment', since the shipping is associated with replacing the equipment, it seems to me shipping would also have to be paid by them (they would probably credit your account), it should be noted, on that link, there are certain restricions on some states, which may say otherwise, but like I said, IANAL, so YMMV.

AFAICT, you still benefit if you are a lease-only sub, since the lease does NOT cover wiring (or anything else listed above BUT the receiver(s), at least I'm pretty sure it doesn't), whereas the plan will cover the things listed above, at least that is my understanding.

So to summarize, if you own, and you have the prot plan, it takes care of it all (within their guidelines), no plan, no protection at all, on anything.

A lease-only sub, would have the receiver(s) covered no matter if they have the prot plan or not, however, if they want the wiring, etc, covered, they STILL need to buy the plan.

Last edited:
damaged, thank you for pointing out the price, and I apologize if I came off snooty, I was just going by what the Csr told me, but I Did check and I am only being charged 5.99. so thanks again!

stuart628 said:
damaged, thank you for pointing out the price, and I apologize if I came off snooty, I was just going by what the Csr told me, but I Did check and I am only being charged 5.99. so thanks again!

You did not come off snooty at all, nothing wrong with (re)verifying information, it is a good trait in fact. :) And, you're welcome.

Last edited:
damaged said:
Source: http://directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=900030

"The DIRECTV Protection Plan gives you the ultimate in professional technical services for your DIRECTV System, including:

* Covering the cost associated with replacing defective equipment, including remotes and receivers
* Coverage of wiring, satellite antenna,connections/switches and more
* Power surge-related repairs
* Dish antenna realignments
* 24-hour technical support
* In-home service calls"

Now, IANAL, but it seems to me, shipping would(should) be considered a 'cost associated with replacing defective equipment', since the shipping is associated with replacing the equipment, it seems to me shipping would also have to be paid by them (they would probably credit your account), it should be noted, on that link, there are certain restricions on some states, which may say otherwise, but like I said, IANAL, so YMMV.

AFAICT, you still benefit if you are a lease-only sub, since the lease does NOT cover wiring (or anything else listed above BUT the receiver(s), at least I'm pretty sure it doesn't), whereas the plan will cover the things listed above, at least that is my understanding.

So to summarize, if you own, and you have the prot plan, it takes care of it all (within their guidelines), no plan, no protection at all, on anything.

A lease-only sub, would have the receiver(s) covered no matter if they have the prot plan or not, however, if they want the wiring, etc, covered, they STILL need to buy the plan.

I agree after reading this:

http://directv.com/learn/pdf/service_plan_112204.pdf

everything is covered.

Thank you for providing links to the protection plan pdf document. Looks like it was last updated on 11/22/04. Did anyone talk to anyone recently over the phone to verify this? Im just concerned why when I activated the service last week, the CSR told me that not every cost is covered. Was the CSR wrong?

Just checked my bill online and I am being charged 7.99 for the advanced protection plan.

Subscriptions For Receiver: 1205-010018
06/16/06 07/15/06 HBO and SHOWTIME Monthly 0.00
06/16/06 07/15/06 HD Package Monthly 0.00
06/16/06 07/15/06 TOTAL CHOICE PLUS Monthly 0.00
06/16/06 07/15/06 DIRECTV DVR Service Fee Monthly 0.00
06/16/06 07/15/06 DIRECTV Protection Plan Advanced Product $7.99 Monthly 0.00
06/16/06 07/15/06 Block Viewing Data Collection 0.00
Subscriptions For Receiver: 1205-009812 Additional Receiver
Subscriptions For Receiver: 1205-010216 Additional Receiver
Subscriptions For Receiver: 1568-223091 Additional Receiver
Subscriptions For Receiver: 1621-355492 Additional Receiver
Subscriptions For Receiver: 1642-354318 Additional Receiver
Subscriptions For Receiver: 1744-531227 Additional Receiver
Subscriptions For Receiver: 1748-761663 Additional Receiver
AMOUNT DUE$138.39

I just used the protection plan the other day. I noticed that our HBO-HD & Showtime HD were breaking up pretty bad -- all other channels were doing ok. I didn't have the protection plan so I signed up for it and waiting 30 days. On the 31st day my HD-TIVO hard drive died as well!

So for the cost of the plan I got shipped a (refurb) HD-TIVO and a tech came out and re-aligned my dish. -- Dish is > 30' and I don't have a ladder that tall!

All in all it paid off pretty well for me!

pazgb said:
Thank you for providing links to the protection plan pdf document. Looks like it was last updated on 11/22/04. Did anyone talk to anyone recently over the phone to verify this? Im just concerned why when I activated the service last week, the CSR told me that not every cost is covered. Was the CSR wrong?

Looking at TSR23's post looks like everything got done with no out of pocket.

I think its really symantics on what the CSR can or cannot say. If they were to say everything is covered that would bite them in the butt. Because I'm sure everyone reads the plan... NOT!!!

Looking at the "What's not covered" section of the protection plan ( http://directv.com/learn/pdf/service_plan_112204.pdf) that is what prompts them to say "everything is not covered"

In the long run you'll probably pay more on the plan than you would on a service call here and there. It's peace of mind and it looks like TSR23 got his moneys worth:up

pazgb said:

Hello all,
i have had the protection plan for a few years and i have had 3 receivers replaced , all at no cost. new dish installed, no cost to me, never have been charged shipping for a return receiver , i have not had to give them a dime when i had a service call, it has never even been mentioned

I have had 3 re-alignments- One because I moved one of the dishes. And had a SD-TIVO unit replaced. All without a penny to me.

What's NOT covered is damages arising from abuse or neglect. Get mad at the ref's call and toss the remote against the wall and you'll pay to replace it. Have a receiver stolen or damaged in a fire and you'll pay to replace it. However, if you have a receiver waterlogged in a hurricane or a dish destroyed in a tornado, D* will replace it at no charge.

Status
Please reply by conversation.