Please reply by conversation.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Can any of you H-20 owners tell me if they have an analog tuner in the unit?
I know the H-10 did not, I was hoping it was an oversight.
I know that analog will be gone in several years (2009 as of last report), but it would be nice to have in in the meantime.,
Unfortunatly Digital has a much shorter available distance.

Jimbo

It was not an oversight.

D* HD receivers can't tune NTSC at all.
They can only decode MPEG2 / MPEG4 video, whether it come through ATSC or the sats.

H

How good is the OTA tuners in the box?

I have a Dish 942 that is equal to my HR10-250 HD Tivo with UHF but the Dish 942 is able to get 2 VHF channels better and 1 worse than the HD Tivo. Its really odd since they are sitting right next to each other with the same antenna feed.

I know the H20 is supposed to have the 5th generation OTA tuner but does anyone have any test results?

I know my old Sony HD-100 would pick up analog signal, I used it for a while before I turned D* on.

I think Hogarth is on to something here, It seems that the D* rec. with a name on them did get analog, but I have yet to see a D* labelled receiver that does get analog.

Well I got my answer a few days ago, The H - 10 Does NOT get analog :no
Thanks Robert :)

hdtvtechno,

And dont say they can't, because they could but directv decide that they dont

D* decided that they would not have analog, not that they could turn it on , or not, thay cannot, they did not have a analog tuner put in the units.
Maybe, next generation (LG ? ) but I would not count on it ... :(

Jimbo

My old Hughes E-8 used to pick up analog locals and my Hughes HTL-HD does pick them up but not my H-10. We have over 30 digital or HD channels and I don't really need it and have shut them off on the HTL-HD.

Unless your tv-screen is a monitor, there is no need for an analog tuner. Most TV's have built-in analog tuners. Another option is a vcr, they all have analog tuners built-in.

The thing is
when i get the H20
i dont want to keep going back behind the tv switching out cables so i can watch my analog channels

some of analog channels in our area dont have digital channels. like the Independant owned stations :(

So you see, We could use an analog tuner in the H20.

hdtvtechno said:
The thing is
when i get the H20
i dont want to keep going back behind the tv switching out cables so i can watch my analog channels

some of analog channels in our area dont have digital channels. like the Independant owned stations :(

So you see, We could use an analog tuner in the H20.

Your TV should be able to analog channels. Plug antenna into TV, use TV. No cable switch required.

So few customers would be served with an analog tuner that it makes very little sense for D* to do so. Costs would be astronomical compared to consumer value.

Wouldn't a simple coax splitter solve this for using an antenna? Use the splitter, run a line to the TV and a line to the OTA tuner on the D* box. I know the splitters don't work for a satellite signal but I thought they worked great for OTA signals.

jpn said:
Unless your tv-screen is a monitor, there is no need for an analog tuner. Most TV's have built-in analog tuners. Another option is a vcr, they all have analog tuners built-in.

No my TV is not a monitor, there are times when an analog signal is a good thing, like when thew digital signal is OFF AIR.
That doesn't happen too often anymore ,but once in a while.
Also, helpfull when the PIP feature handles only 1 HD signal, like most TV's
( I know some do allow more than one HD signal, but most don't)
This is how I watch 2 football games on Sunday's

Jimbo

Hogarth said:
Your TV should be able to analog channels. Plug antenna into TV, use TV. No cable switch required.

So few customers would be served with an analog tuner that it makes very little sense for D* to do so. Costs would be astronomical compared to consumer value.

Cost would be astronomical . ???? Please..............................

Seems there are plenty of people on just this forum that think it is worthwhile.
All of the older D* receivers has them .....

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Directv R15 Plus DVR

atlanta mpeg4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)