H20 No Worky

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

guppy1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
Texas
First off I know absolutely nothing about sat equip. I bought a brand new H20-600 receiver from some guy off craigslist. I am eventually going to change over to hi def, just not overnight. This reciever is brand new in the box. I disconnect my old (SD-HBH) and hook up the new H20 receiver and I get 86% signal but it will not download the guide data. I call DTV they activate the new card that came with the H20 receiver, tell me to reset, unplug, etc etc but I still can not download guide data. I have No channels on my guide. I have a round dish with a single lnb, could this be the problem? The old receiver works fine with this dish. DTV wants to send someone out but I would rather fix this myself.

I'm not sure but you probably need a new SlimLine 3-lnb dish upgrade. Did you connect the B Band Converters?

If you're trying to stay out of contract extension, you'd have to verify that receiver could be activated as an owned unit. If not, you're obligated to extend contract anyway. If that's the case, see you qualify for the upgrade. You could possibly get the SlimLine and free installation. If you're out of contract or if you've paid your bill on-time for last 12 months, I'd negotiate with DirecTv. Ask for free HD access and a year of Premium Programming for free. You may even get them to take another $5 off your bill if you ask nicely.

Others have had recent troubles trying to get around the contract extension. Sounds like you need an installer to install one for you but you'd have to weigh your cost options for yourself.

I'm sure others more knowledgeable can offer you some advice.

Good luck!

Just to make sure, did you go through the satellite dish setup menus and select the 18" oval dish as the dish type? IIRC if it thinks you have a 3LNB dish which can see 119 it tried to download the guide from there vs. 101 which is all the 18" single LNB dish can see.

Also, B band converters aren't necessary until you get upgraded to the Ku/Ka dish.

Yes I told the receiver that I have a round dish with a single lnb. I tried it without the b-converter, then tried it again with the b-converter. I do NOT want to sign up for a 24 month extension, hence why I am trying to do this myself.

Have you tried forcing a software download in case what's on the box is so old that it doesn't understand the current guide data stream (just a SWAG). If this was really in the box as new it's probably way out of date since the H20 hasn't been made for a long time.

To force the download reboot the box and on the very first screen that comes up enter 0 2 4 6 8 on the remote. Don't enter anything else and don't press enter, just those 5 numbers, if you did it right then you will see a software download screen downloading 0x410A software version which is the current.

Have you tried forcing a software download in case what's on the box is so old that it doesn't understand the current guide data stream (just a SWAG). If this was really in the box as new it's probably way out of date since the H20 hasn't been made for a long time.

To force the download reboot the box and on the very first screen that comes up enter 0 2 4 6 8 on the remote. Don't enter anything else and don't press enter, just those 5 numbers, if you did it right then you will see a software download screen downloading 0x410A software version which is the current.

woo Hoo

It says New Software Found. It is downloading.

Be careful - you will get sometimes CE ( what is not for everyone ! ).

Guide is spooling from a few tpns at 101W - check gct's thread.

[I'm still not convinced about the 119W APG, if rad will provide tpn/SCID info I would be glad to check that statement.]

Be careful - you will get sometimes CE ( what is not for everyone ! ).

Guide is spooling from a few tpns at 101W - check gct's thread.

[I'm still not convinced about the 119W APG, if rad will provide tpn/SCID info I would be glad to check that statement.]

CE's only Friday and Saturday at 11PM to 2AM Eastern time, when available, so no problem doing it at this time.

As for the guide, just passing along info from what I've seen other post, like why folks didn't get guide info with a 5LNB dish with no LOS to 119.

Seems to me it was urban legend - 101W holding quick load of all APG data for all but 72.5 and 95 sats - see gct's threads.
If we are talking about 14 days guide, then I don't have enough facts to object or proof the claim.

Guppy I believe when you activated that "NEW" card you agreed to a 2yr. lease contract. March 1st 2006 started the lease program and all new receivers activated since then are automatically leased w/ 2 yr. contract. Do yourself a favor confirm that you are leasing then request a FREE slimline upgrade so that you can get HDTV channels. Yes they can be displayed on your SD TV.

Well I got it working. Called DTv and had the old card de-activated and the new H20 activated .... Then she passes me on to the DTV Activation Card Team so that they can check to see if this a lease unit or not, if it is lease they should be able to transfer it to an owned unit. Once I speak to the "team" they inform me that it is a lease unit and I will be bound to a 2 yr lease agreement. I tell them I dont want a 2yr lease, he then informs me that it is too late. By having the new unit activated, that started my 2yr lease commitment. I went Ape sh*t!!!

Sorta sounds like the old game of Bait and Switch.

I recommend that you send a clear, nice e-mail to ellen.filipiak@directv.com saying what happened and see if her office might be able to help clear things up.

Problem is that the H20 you purchased really was a leased receiver and you got sold a bill of goods. Too late now but what you should have done before purchasing it was to get the serial number of the H20 and check with DirecTV to see if it was really owned or leased receiver.

Weren't all H20's leased ?
What was the original date they were brought to the market ?
March of '06 was the date that the lease came to be.

fwiw, it won't cost you anymore monthly to lease vs own, you either get a "Lease Fee", or a "Addl. Rec'r" fee (programming)

Weren't all H20's leased ?
What was the original date they were brought to the market ?
March of '06 was the date that the lease came to be.

fwiw, it won't cost you anymore monthly to lease vs own, you either get a "Lease Fee", or a "Addl. Rec'r" fee (programming)

No, the very early ones were owned (along with the R15's). IIRC I got mine around October or November of 2005, shortly before the Chicago HD locals went up on SW1.

No, the very early ones were owned (along with the R15's). IIRC I got mine around October or November of 2005, shortly before the Chicago HD locals went up on SW1.

So there were some that were owned, I had a H10 that I know is Owned, but pretty much a doorstop at the moment, may revive it to be a dust collector next !

I too have an owned H20. I think I literally got it the last day of February 2006 before they went all leased.

As I recall, there was a lot of people doing the same thing , wanting to get them before the "Lease" period started, I too was a long time "Owned Equipment" guy.
I finally decided to quit fighting it and I am glad I have .....

It's very nice to know that if you have a rec'r that gives you problems that cannot be fixed or solved, you will get a new/referbed one right away to replace it ... free of charge except shipping in some cases.

No more going out to buy a new box because the company is not responsible for them (back in the day).

Jimbo

Last edited:
I agree. I initially really fought, at least mentally, the whole thought of leasing my equipment. It just seemed "wrong" if that makes sense. I actually didn't buy my H20 in some kind of last minute panic to own rather than lease. I wasn't a member of this board at the time and really had no idea that DirecTV was going that direction until I had to replace my main receiver from my beloved Samsung that broke out of warranty and it just happened to be at the own to lease changeover time frame. Granted once I found out they were going to leases I pressed ahead quickly so I'd own my H20. Today I have no problem with the notion of leasing and my two HR20's are obviously leased. Some day the H20 will either give up the ghost or become so obsolete I'll have to replace it but for the time being it's my "spare", in the sense it's the least used unit, so until it goes I'm OK with owning it but will have no second thoughts about leasing the eventual replacement.

Well I got it working. Called DTv and had the old card de-activated and the new H20 activated .... Then she passes me on to the DTV Activation Card Team so that they can check to see if this a lease unit or not, if it is lease they should be able to transfer it to an owned unit. Once I speak to the "team" they inform me that it is a lease unit and I will be bound to a 2 yr lease agreement. I tell them I dont want a 2yr lease, he then informs me that it is too late. By having the new unit activated, that started my 2yr lease commitment. I went Ape sh*t!!!

Sorta sounds like the old game of Bait and Switch.

I don't think owned or leased makes any difference. When you activate an hd receiver, you will get a two year commitment regardless.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts