H20 Reboots

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ncfuser

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Frederick, MD
So this has been happening off and on since I got the H20 back in December. So the screen goes black and the box reboots. It happens about once a month. So yesterday I was watching something on TNT HD and it did it again. Not that big of a deal. So around 8pm eastern I was switching back from and forth from CBS HD (D.C. Local) and ESPN HD for the Phillies game. It would reboot every 5 minutes while I was watching ESPN HD. It happened 4 times in an hour. But if I left it on CBS or HBO HD it was fine. Anyone ever have this happen before?

ncfuser said:
So this has been happening off and on since I got the H20 back in December. So the screen goes black and the box reboots. It happens about once a month. So yesterday I was watching something on TNT HD and it did it again. Not that big of a deal. So around 8pm eastern I was switching back from and forth from CBS HD (D.C. Local) and ESPN HD for the Phillies game. It would reboot every 5 minutes while I was watching ESPN HD. It happened 4 times in an hour. But if I left it on CBS or HBO HD it was fine. Anyone ever have this happen before?
Yes. Lots of people. A lot of H20-600 models also overheat.

Call D* and request a replacement receiver. The easiest way to get one is to just tell them your H20 receiver is overheating - "too hot to touch" on top and you want it replaced because you're afraid it may cause a fire.

If you own your current receiver they will switch you to a leasing plan. There is no difference in monthly cost.

I have trouble with reboots as well, but for some reason it only happens (on rare occasion) when the receiver is on my OTA local 9.1. I'll have to wait for it to reboot, exit the satellite acquire, change channels, then reboot again to get the cycle to stop. If I don't do that, it will just keep rbooting over and over again. Wierd?

code4code5 said:
I have trouble with reboots as well, but for some reason it only happens (on rare occasion) when the receiver is on my OTA local 9.1. I'll have to wait for it to reboot, exit the satellite acquire, change channels, then reboot again to get the cycle to stop. If I don't do that, it will just keep rbooting over and over again. Wierd?

I had the same problem with one of my local channels. I called and told them about it. Of course, they said it couldn't possibly have anything to do with their signal! A day or two later it stopped.

It's probably easier to get a replacement H20 that ignores the bad data than to get a local station to admit they have a problem.

I had the issue of my H20 rebooting (back in January) when I would tune to the local Fox OTA feed. It was a PSIP issue (do a search on posts from my username for more info on that).

Strange behavior from my H20 last night. Twice it totally locked up while recieving the local HD NBC affiliate via the Ka/MPEG4 feed through the dish (and later again while on the HD MPEG4 CBS feed). The picture and receiver froze up. I had to do the uplug/plug thing twice in an hour.

Last edited:
I had a problem, with H20 - 600's. my first one,would randomly rebooting, then, I couldn't turn it back on. I reset it, then the colors were so bad. Since I had a lifetime guarrentee, they sent me another one, which was a recondition one, and after a few minutes or so, it too, started to randomly reboot. So, I hooked backup, my old Hughes HD receiver, and everything works great. I've read that the H20 has many flaws in it. Enjoy Ya'll :cool:

It was the H20-600 model. I don't think it was the heat issue, cause as long as I wasn't on ESPNHD for that baseball game it is fine. It has been fine since. Just weird how it was just one channel. I did call and they were going to send a new one out, but do I really want a refurbished one???

ncfuser said:
It was the H20-600 model. I don't think it was the heat issue, cause as long as I wasn't on ESPNHD for that baseball game it is fine. It has been fine since. Just weird how it was just one channel. I did call and they were going to send a new one out, but do I really want a refurbished one???
You have one that has a problem and they are willing to send you one that doesn't.... Pretty simple.

Well, I found a solution to this problem, and it works as well. Since we know that the H20/600 has air vents on the top and bottom,that, I figured, that with the receiver sitting on anything, that it wasn't getting enough air flow. So, what I did, which is very simple, was put a block on each underside, of the receiver, a 1" X 2" X 9 3/8", and raise up the receiver so, that it was getting a better air flow. I believe this will stop the overheating problem, which I know, in my case it has. I hope this helps anyone, with a similar problem. Enjoy Ya'll :up

My H20 has started rebooting often last night also. I have had it on ESPN HD, started last night. I will keep a closer eye on it!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)