Hard Drive Bargain Watch

So I assume by that you mean the 1.5TB will work fine, but Dish won't help you if there's any problems?
Not that they won't try to help, but it's a technical excuse freeing them from obligation.

(yes, this isn't a bargain watch, but it's important for people to know)

Just an update - I did some playing with a 2TB and the current software (L622) on my 722. Still no go with the 2TB, but the 1.5 is fine.

The 2TB got formatted to 500GB.

There is a software limit to the size of the partitions created on the EHD.

I believe PSmith did the research.

Seagate Freeagent 1.5TB ~$90.

Great deal. Actual price is $80, but you gotta add shipping and 5 bucks if you're not a Costco member.

Seagate 1.5TB USB2 Ext. HDD - dealnews.com

And yes, the 1.5 TB Seagates have had issues (not sure if they still do), I've had one fail out of around 8. But, it showed signs of problems almost immediately (click-click pauses). I copied the files off and sent it back for Warranty (5 yr).

Don't forget to get the Seagate Utility and disable the power spin-down.

As mentioned, the $30 discount doesn't show up till you start checking out.

Here's a direct link:
Costco - $30 OFF Seagate FreeAgent? Desk 1.5TB External Hard Drive

I knew he had, but I couldn't find the post and didn't know what software version his box was running when he last tried it.
from old posts:

You're right, Michael. Tested Seagate ST31500341AS disk with L621 - it's formatted OK and do shows ~1.4 GB free. I have a snapshot, but the site doesn't allow to upload it.
Nice, but L618 did not accepted 2 TB disk.
Tested same disk on 211, got error message #955 after successful formating.
===================
I did check partitions, all of them are EXT3 type:
1 - 1 GB
2 - 500 GB
3 - 500 GB
4 ~400 GB (rest of space)

They're still allocating by 500 GB chunks and I see why 2 TB disk failed - you can't have more then 4 primary partitions as Dish FW use it with the limit of 500 GB per one partition.

So, the answer to OP question - 1.6 TB is the limit of EHD for 622/722 models.

Last edited:
This seems like a great deal and you can use a $15 off $75 coupon from Ebay to save more

From Slickdeals.net

Toshiba Portable External Hard Drives: 500GB $40, 640GB $60 - SlickDeals.net Forums

Toshiba portable HDD 640GB $59.99, 500GB $39.99 OfficeMax has portable drives Toshiba 500 and 640 GB fo the $39.99 and $59.99 respectively with FREE SHIPPING. May be price mistake, may be not.
http://www.officemax.com/catalog/...34421519-2

http://www.officemax.com/catalog/...33239286-2

$9,999.99 is no bargain...and discontinued?.:confused: They better pay shipping.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)