Hard drive for OS Mio

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

navagator

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
I'm planning on purchasing a hard drive for my OS Mio 4k in the near future and need some suggestions. Which ones work best with the OS Mio? I've never purchased one before so I don't know a whole lot about them.

Thanks in advance.

Any external hard drive with a usb input will work. I also use a WD 2TB drive. I have a titanium asc mover with the OS Mio sitting on top of it and the hard drive is the perfect size to mount on the side of the mover with double backed tape. Very nice small size package.

WD 2TB here too. Shows as a network share in Windows also.
1601029311650.png

I'm using a Western Digital 1TB drive mounted in a Rosewill RX358-S V2 enclosure with built-in cooling fan. I haven't used it much but it has worked fine every time I did. :)

a few important points:

- as much as possible, get a hard drive that has its own power supply rather than one that is powered by the host through USB. This way it won't overload the power supply of the OSMIO4k. Not that i've heard of it being a problem with that receiver, but I just think it's best practice

- Most external hard drives that have a power supply also have some kind of power switch. Some have the old fashioned toggle or slider switch, with 2 clear positions "on" and "off". Others just have a momentary push button, and the power is controlled by some electronic circuitry behind that. Both work fine, but have the second type, and it has a big drawback: If you lose power, the hard drive turns off, and when power comes back, the hard drive remains off... until you push the stupid button. For that reason, I will replace that hard drive as soon as practically possible as it's really annoying .

I have several devices with hdd or ssd, most are 1 TB drives
I have 2 @ 2 TB ssd's, they are external (enclosed) with one in an sf8008, the other with my osmio4k+
most of the drives are WD's, the one in my mio is a Samsung 860 evo
I only have one that has it's own power supply, the ones in my 2 sf4008's are internal, all the rest are usb connected
They all work great in whatever device they are in

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm looking at a WD Elements 3 TB for $79 on Amazon. It has a push button on/off switch rather than the toggle but we don't loose power very often.

Seems to be a pretty good deal.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm looking at a WD Elements 3 TB for $79 on Amazon. It has a push button on/off switch rather than the toggle but we don't loose power very often.

Seems to be a pretty good deal.

On many devices, nothing over 2TB will work. At least, they won't 'see' anything over 2TB. Let us know if this works on your Mio.

On many devices, nothing over 2TB will work. At least, they won't 'see' anything over 2TB. Let us know if this works on your Mio.
Thanks for the tip.

I'm also looking at a Buffalo 2 TB external drive, it's about the same price. Maybe I'll go with that one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)