Has anyone noticed the new 722k DVR menu?

Well since my update happened a few days ago, my receiver has locked up several times requiring the dreaded 5 minute reboot! Last night it locked up, as in screen froze while watching the news, I rebooted the receiver and all is fine... for about 15 minutes, then lockup again!
I've also noticed lately that the local channels here seem to go out every couple days with a notice on the screen saysing something to the affect "we are sorry for the inconvienence and are aware of the problem. There is no need to call us about this problem, blah blah blah).

Anyone else having wierd issues like these?

-Scott

Just got the update last night and didn't have any issues this morning. As far as the local channels going out and the "we are sorry, blah, blah, blah", we have experienced this several times over the past year or so. Very, very annoying. Luckily we are able to receive our locals via antenna also, but still very annoying, especially if a program is scheduled to record.

Plumcrazy10 said:
Well since my update happened a few days ago, my receiver has locked up several times requiring the dreaded 5 minute reboot! Last night it locked up, as in screen froze while watching the news, I rebooted the receiver and all is fine... for about 15 minutes, then lockup again!
I've also noticed lately that the local channels here seem to go out every couple days with a notice on the screen saysing something to the affect "we are sorry for the inconvienence and are aware of the problem. There is no need to call us about this problem, blah blah blah).

Anyone else having wierd issues like these?

-Scott

Same here, just got the upgrade and the 722k locked up and did a reboot, first time in over 6 months since upgrading from a 722, now it won"t connect to broadband. How wonderful to induce bugs in a rock steady DVR...

Same here, just got the upgrade and the 722k locked up and did a reboot, first time in over 6 months since upgrading from a 722, now it won"t connect to broadband. How wonderful to induce bugs in a rock steady DVR...

We with 922 subs didn't want you 722k subs to feel left out of all our software bugs . Feel the joy!:p

Hall said:
Mine is connected to broadband just fine. I'm on the latest software too. I wouldn't call it a "bug"...

Whatever you want to call it or not call it...I call it crap....just did a power cord reboot and got broadband... Now it has done 3 reboots on it's own in the last 30 minutes. Let me get this straight, I am now paying $17 a month for this "superior" DVR's software upgrade...right!

The banner ad can be turned off. (It never showed up on my 612s.)

Really? How?

I do have to say that after not one, but two resets, the box appears to have settled down and is more responsive and normal-feeling.

The resets haven't removed the new look, however. <smirk>

Whatever you want to call it or not call it...I call it crap....just did a power cord reboot and got broadband... Now it has done 3 reboots on it's own in the last 30 minutes.
You have a hardware problem, not software. The timing is a coincidence... You'll be replacing this receiver soon and if it's a "software bug", it will affect your replacement receiver too. Right ?

Hall said:
You have a hardware problem, not software. The timing is a coincidence... You'll be replacing this receiver soon and if it's a "software bug", it will affect your replacement receiver too. Right ?

It's not hardware, definitely software, if I go into any of the new menu options other than the dvr or hdd it locks, I'll just be leaving these alone for now.

samijubal said:
Add to that no sorting the free material and the new setup BLOWS.

It does blow, but from from an E* sales perspective, they don't want people going right to free content and bypassing the money-making titles. They want you to have to view titles that cost money while searching for free stuff in the hope that you'll see something that interests you and think "what the heck, it's only a few bucks".

While I don't agree with the strategy, I can easily see E* sales exec's pushing for it to be setup this way.

Since Dish did next to no advertising/marketing of their "on demand" service previously, they had little to lose by making access to the free programming easy. Hardly anyone used the service in the first place... Now, according to Scott, Dish is going to start pushing or promoting it. Updating the look (or outdating, according to some) is just one part of this.

i think having the windsheild wiper control on the right of the steeringwheel blows!! it should be on the left where it was before.

:D

Last edited:
Better check that you have a ViP722k, and not a 721! ;)

The 721 could take a couple of days or so to "settle in."