HD-DVD #1 player at Amazon!

So what is the detail on the rebate for disks? I cannot find anything on the Toshiba web site. DO you need to buy the DVD payer at a specific location or is any new retailer OK. What are the titles that are available to select rom? WHne does the offer expire? @ 299 with 5 disks if nothing else it looks like this would make a good upconverting DVD player

Here is what I did:

Took CC ad for $299 player (5 movies by mail). Ad also states that if you buy the Matrix Trilogy on HD-DVD with a player, you get 2 more movies in store for free.

Get Bestbuy to pricematch ad. Total would NORMALLY be $299 + $79.99 (player and trilogy)

But when I got the deal at Best Buy, their computer system treated the Trilogy as 3 seperate movies and qualified it for the instant $20 discount, so I got $299 + $59.99 + tax, plus 2 movies in store and 5 by mail.

If the instant discount doesn't work anymore, have them PM the trilogy to Walmart.com, it's $63 on there right now.

So what is the detail on the rebate for disks? I cannot find anything on the Toshiba web site. DO you need to buy the DVD payer at a specific location or is any new retailer OK. What are the titles that are available to select rom? WHne does the offer expire? @ 299 with 5 disks if nothing else it looks like this would make a good upconverting DVD player

Here is the link to the get the 5 disks free with HD-DVD player purchase.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/hddvd/data/pdf/Toshiba_Online_Rebate_R08.pdf

The rebate is instant. You don't have to send anything in.

Only the $100 off is instant. The 5 free HD-DVD's are via a mail in rebate. You only have a small selection for the 5 free movies also.

Only the $100 off is instant. The 5 free HD-DVD's are via a mail in rebate. You only have a small selection for the 5 free movies also.

Yeah that's what I was stating. I think the 5 free DVD offer is inside the box. Haven't seen it to know for sure but that is what they did with the original dvd players back in 1998 when i got one.

Yeah that's what I was stating. I think the 5 free DVD offer is inside the box. Haven't seen it to know for sure but that is what they did with the original dvd players back in 1998 when i got one.

It did not come in the box. I had to go to the website to get the form. Many stores have forms on a display but when I purchased mine from BB they did not have a form or did not even mention about the 5 free deal.

HD-DVD Makes Gains Against Blu-ray

HD-DVD Makes Gains Against Blu-ray
Cheaper Players, New Titles Boost Format
Sales of HD-DVD titles have made gains on their Blu-ray counterparts in recent weeks, with Amazon.com tracking showing sales of the Toshiba-owned format matching and even surpassing Sony titles. As of this week, tracking of the top 25 HD-DVD and Blu-ray products show HD-DVD titles outselling Blu-ray, for the first time in months. Full Story>

"...its just sad that really right now we cant see whos winning because the sales are so small on both sides that forum fanatics have a buy HD DVD and blu ray day and skew the numbers."

Yep. :(

Honestly this thing is going to end up a royal cluster FK caused by Sony and the HD DVD group. We are going to end up with an enormous amount of both formats and its absolutley stupid that they couldnt settle on one format. Now consumers will have to buy both types of players. Asinine. :rolleyes:

Honestly this thing is going to end up a royal cluster FK caused by Sony and the HD DVD group. We are going to end up with an enormous amount of both formats and its absolutley stupid that they couldnt settle on one format. Now consumers will have to buy both types of players. Asinine. :rolleyes:

They might not have to buy both. LG already has a player that does both. When the next generation comes out it will be better and cheaper of course.

Isn't that what they said about New Coke?

That's is totally different. By the way I actually liked the New Coke better than the old and that's why I drink Pepsi now.

I'm just joking around.

New Coke gave me stomach pains though. Pepsi is too sweet for my liking.

I'm not jumping in until the format war is settled or a really good dual player comes out. I already have a Sony 400 disc changer that does a great job upconverting.

I'm just joking around.

New Coke gave me stomach pains though. Pepsi is too sweet for my liking.

Pepsi 41g
Coke 39g

Not that much different, but we digress. Now back to your regularly schedule thread topic. :D

well someone better hurry, I know in my area I am seeing Blu ray at wal mart (the Discs not the players) and from what I hear wal mart is supporting blu ray only, not HD DVD (could change but this is what the media manager has told me).
I rarely go to WalMart because I can't stand the stores, so can't comment there. But Sam's Club has the Toshiba D2 player for under $250 and no BluRay players, so the WalMart corporation is obviously not solely BluRay.

I had always planned to wait things out and see who wins the war, but I'm getting really tempted with the $250 price...

I'm on the HD-DVD side. Sony always loses the format war. They are too greedy and are starting to lose money on many of their proprietary hardware. If Sony had gone more main stream in the past, they would be in a much better position now. They do make fine TVs and camcorders and such. They do have excellent engineering, but they try too hard to "own" the customer.

I haven't chosen any side but so far the HD-DVD's I've seen have been better than the Blu-Ray (including comparisons of the same title) ... I'm using a PS3 and 360 drive

Pepsi 41g
Coke 39g

Not that much different, but we digress. Now back to your regularly schedule thread topic. :D

I wasn't talking sugar content, I was talking about how it tastes to me, a totally subjective measure.

They might not have to buy both. LG already has a player that does both. When the next generation comes out it will be better and cheaper of course.
I think that will be the last thing to come down well after BD comes down and that aint happening for a couple of years.

I'm not jumping in until the format war is settled or a really good dual player comes out. I already have a Sony 400 disc changer that does a great job upconverting.
It isnt going to be settled. We are going to have two formats. I think its a conspiracy to rob us blind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)