HD Extra Pack confusion...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bebop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Idaho
I signed up for new serivce about 12 months ago and now have the "Choice Xtra Classic" package. I also added the free for 3 month HD Extra Pack about 3 months ago. I went online to remove the HD Extra pack so that I don't have to pay for the channels I don't really watch much, and when I go to remove those, I get a message that says:

"Upgrade Package: Before you can make any changes to your account you are required to change
your package.

Why do I have to change my package? You have
an older package that does not support the programming/service you have
selected.

Can I switch back if I change my mind?
No, since we no longer
offer your old (discontinued) package, you cannot switch back once you've
changed."

...If I click 'cancel' nothing happens and I still have the HD Extra pack. If I click 'OK' it takes me to a screen to choose an upgrade package. My best choices are:
  1. Stay with Choice Xtra Classic $68.99/mo (210 channels)
  2. Choice Xtra $68.99/mo (205 channels)
  3. Choice $63.99/mo (150+ channels)
  4. Choice Ultimate $74.99/mo (225+ channels)
All I want to do is remove the HD Extra Pack as to not pay for it. Is it really necessary to change my base programming to do this? If not, how is it done? If so, what should I choose to keep getting the benefits of when I signed up for free HD, discount for months 13-24, etc? I'm guessing this all happened because they recently changed package names and pricing...though I didn't think I was on an 'older' package.

Thanks for your help.

The package you are on is a grandfathered package now, you now have to call in to cancel, I know kind of a pain especially since so many are getting HD pack at no cost

Last edited:
I was concerned about this too. My latest addition of "three for free" ends this month. Glad to hear D* won't make us change our base programming package.

Call in and cancel it. Within a day, you can go back on line to your account and you'll see an offer for three months free again.

I cancelled it 3 weeks early online (was to run til 3/5...cancelled it 2/8) and readded it later on 2/8 :)
(since I'm now on a grandfathered plan)

I called to remove today as I had a partial month charge on my new bill being my 3 months was to be up March 5th. It took me 1 minute to get to someone, 5 minutes to process and 30 second to turn down the sales pitch for other offers I did not want.

I logged in and out of my account online and it was being offered again for $0.00 and the partial charge was removed. ;)

When was this HD extra added? Also, before they started doing this. Were the channels already included in your base package and now you or a new customer has to pay 5 bucks extra to get them?

The HD Extra Pack is a group of 8 or 9 channels that "costs" 4.99. Its kinda like the old Dish Platinum pack (not as many channels)

The thing is they are running a "free for 3 months" promo online. The glitch is what we would do is a couple days before the 3 months were up you'd go online and remove it (you could remove it online).....after the system refreshed it was there again as "free for 3 months" so you could re-add it again. I did it 5 times. But when your price plan is grandfathered (as it is now) you cant remove programming. You have to call in. So now folks call in, remove it and 5 minutes later it shows up on the account as a "3 month free offer"

The HD Extra Pack is a group of 8 or 9 channels that "costs" 4.99. Its kinda like the old Dish Platinum pack (not as many channels)

The thing is they are running a "free for 3 months" promo online. The glitch is what we would do is a couple days before the 3 months were up you'd go online and remove it (you could remove it online).....after the system refreshed it was there again as "free for 3 months" so you could re-add it again. I did it 5 times. But when your price plan is grandfathered (as it is now) you cant remove programming. You have to call in. So now folks call in, remove it and 5 minutes later it shows up on the account as a "3 month free offer"

Nice!!!!!:)

linky from D* site

Get More HD Channels with DIRECTV

Enhance your HD experience with a special group of channels that broadcast exclusively in HD, including: Crime & Investigation HD, Hallmark Movie Channel, HDNet Movies, MGM HD, Palladia HD, Sony Movie Channel HD, Smithsonian HD, Universal HD, and ShortsHD.

Funny they are going to be giving away a free preview soon for extra pack :)

I've always been paying for it because not only can I not cancel packages online, I cannot add them either.

I called yesterday to cancel it. Took a minimal amount of time.

But the only reason I called was because they charged me for it a month early by my calculations. I won't be adding it back since I didn't watch any of the channels in it.

I have to call today to cancel it. They charge you a month in advance so if you got a partial charge and cancel, you get a credit for the partial charge.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)