HD locals for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA timeframe??

Nope, looks like Dish just doesn't care about us.

I too have been waiting long enough.

I'm surprised they didn't add your market to 129. I don't think there's much they can do with the current 61.5 beam. Maybe they're waiting to get some more help on the eastern arc with additional satellites. E* sometimes moves at a frustratingly glacial pace.

I did call last night to see what the new excuse was. This time right after the system said my phone number, it said there is a problem in your area with HD local, and we are working on it. So i guess that's a step up.

Or

I did call last night to see what the new excuse was. This time right after the system said my phone number, it said there is a problem in your area with HD local, and we are working on it. So i guess that's a step up.

They just don't want to waste any more time talking tp unhappy customers that they can not help

still get SD locals?

All right, to clarify, probably a dumb question: If I upgrade to HD now and keep my address (17837), I will not get HD locals (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton). If they give me a new HD dish as part of the upgrade, will I still get SD locals, or lose them altogether? I thought my current dish has some kind of dual capability because the locals came from a different satellite than the other stations....

I just put up a Lava A-2805 antenna and the NEPA programs incorporate very nicely into my local guide on my Dish receiver that (by the way, I am in the NYC DMA) and it work's very well except the 2 channels that went VHF, (WYOU (CBS) and WBRE (NBC) are very weak. They are in and out. Look at where I am!

I love that 16.2 all news channel as that is really my weather! I now get PBS in HD! I love it.

What happened to WSWB (The CW)? Wasn't that on 38 not too long ago? Now it's only a sub-channel on the Fox station? No HD? Also, WQMY in HD? A sub-channel showing MyTV and no HD? I see the real channel is in Williamsport but that is too far away from me to get. I thought I might get MyTV in HD doing this along with another CW in HD.

At least (I hope) when the satellite reception goes out, I might have some OTA reception.

Look at the little size of this antenna. 34" x 17" is how big it is. Just add this little contraption and for many, your problem is solved. It's not too good for channels that are real OTA VHF. It works great for UHF OTA! You do need to be high on a hill. I have trees blocking my view and you have already seen my results in this post. Don't worry much about just a few trees.

All right, to clarify, probably a dumb question: If I upgrade to HD now and keep my address (17837), I will not get HD locals (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton). If they give me a new HD dish as part of the upgrade, will I still get SD locals, or lose them altogether? I thought my current dish has some kind of dual capability because the locals came from a different satellite than the other stations....

Your SD locals are currently on 110 or 119, I forget which -- but you're currently receiving both satellites anyway. If you were set up a long time ago, you'll have an extra-large dish that also receives 105, because the locals were originally there. Now, nothing is there, so the dish is just extra weight and power drain, and hornets like to live in the LNB cowling.

To get HD, they'll need to add a completely separate dish pointed at 61.5. I have no idea if they'll swap out your Superdish, if indeed you have one, for a Dish 500 for 110 and 119, because I'm not familiar with all the different types of switches they use. But you WILL need two dishes. You won't be able to get an Eastern Arc dish (61.5, 72.7, 77), and hopefully the installer will know this and not try to give you one, because the SD locals on 61.5 are on the same spotbeam as the HD ones, which doesn't work in your area.

So, to make a long story short, you can get HD and still keep your SD locals, as long as the installer is familiar with our area.

What happened to WSWB (The CW)? Wasn't that on 38 not too long ago? Now it's only a sub-channel on the Fox station? No HD? Also, WQMY in HD? A sub-channel showing MyTV and no HD? I see the real channel is in Williamsport but that is too far away from me to get. I thought I might get MyTV in HD doing this along with another CW in HD.

WSWB still has its own transmitter. I'm not sure what channel it's on, but it was, and still is, located in a completely different spot than the others, and comes in poorly in many areas. Hence, the sub-channel on Fox.

MyNetwork is currently not available in HD anywhere. The Williamsport transmitter was recently reassigned to carry Fox in HD, and MyTV and the CW in SD. The Scranton Fox transmitter, despite being almost in the same location as the first 4 networks, was always weaker out this way.

Or at least that's what I'm told. I can't pick up a single one of them due to terrain issues. I couldn't pick up any of them in consistently watchable quality when they were in analog either -- in fact, I had better luck with the Harrisburg stations, but now they're gone too.

I already have TWO dishes on my roof and all I get as far as Wilkes Barre/Scranton HD locals is a beautiful crystal clear blue screen stating they know there's a problem and don't bother calling us, which is now my avatar. What pisses me off the most is that not one person working for this company has ever admitted there is a problem or that they have any intention of fixing it.

I don't know why Dish won't address this problem. I emailed them at the last Tech Chat, again, and I didn't even get a courtesy email in response.

I saw my first Eastern Arc dish today. About 3 houses down the street from me! What the hell? Why would they install that? Until now, all I've seen is wing dishes for 61.5 going up on houses that had Dish 500s. This house didn't have a dish before. Maybe this guy doesn't want HD locals, but as a matter of fact he's not going to get any locals at all! Surely the installer would know that?

I saw my first Eastern Arc dish today. About 3 houses down the street from me! What the hell? Why would they install that? Until now, all I've seen is wing dishes for 61.5 going up on houses that had Dish 500s. This house didn't have a dish before. Maybe this guy doesn't want HD locals, but as a matter of fact he's not going to get any locals at all! Surely the installer would know that?
The HD Locals are on the Eastern Arc (specifically 61.5).
Or are you out of the spotbeam area? If so, then the installer was just clueless.
Or perhaps it was a self-install, and the guy "moved" to Harrisburg (which is on 77, conus).

why Dish hasn't mirrored Scranton to 77 perplexes me.

It would have been GREAT to watch the Penn State football ball in HD. But DISH still don't have a fix! And OTA don't help me either. I'm too far away. I have read in other post that the dish tech team reads this forum. So PLEASE DISH fix this!!!

It would have been GREAT to watch the Penn State football ball in HD. But DISH still don't have a fix! And OTA don't help me either. I'm too far away. I have read in other post that the dish tech team reads this forum. So PLEASE DISH fix this!!!

And the little League World Series.....They have all the play off games on ESPN HD, but then the final game is always only on ABC, and HD locals are still a no go in Williamsport.

All I can tell everyone else is, CALL DISH AND COMPLAIN. Talk to billing. Tell them you are thinking on quitting because the cable company has our locals in HD but they don't. They will then feel bad and give you $10 credits, free movie channels, etc. Doesn't hurt to call them up and see what you can get.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts