HD locals for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA timeframe??

Nothing New

I just called in to complain and went through all the steps mentioned earlier. They once again do not acknowledge the problem. They Said they will send out a tech to look into it on Sunday I doubt they will even come. This problem is a joke. If they can not acknowledge the problem then it will never get fixed. Should have gone with Direct TV

Yesterday I saw my 2nd Eastern Arc dish. I'm not sure how long it's been there because I haven't gone up that road for a while, but what made me take notice of what dish was on the house was that there were two Comcast trucks parked in front of it. Hmmm, I wonder what the connection could be. I don't think they can get the channels OTA there either.

I can't understand why a local installer would put up an EA dish knowing that it wouldn't even get SD locals, unless all these people really are getting their locals from Comcast.

Just minutes ago I noticed that Eastern Arc Dish #1, just down the street from me, has been replaced with a Dish 500 on 110 and 119 (mounted way up in a hard-to-get spot on the roof -- I bet somebody is pissed!) and another Dish 500 with an LNB on one side of the bracket only (what, they were out of adapters? I have an old Dish 300 I could've volunteered) pointed at 61.5 from the original EA dish mount. So at least that guy is getting his locals in SD now. I wish I would've been home when the change was made to see who did it, the homeowner or a Dish installer.

I've tried to complain as well and have not gotten anywhere.
Anyone have any updates?
I'm tired of watching football in SD but I don't want to pay comcast's prices or lose MRV by going to D*.

voodootroy,
What satellites do you currently pick up? You might be able to "move" a couple of miles over to Blanchard and pick up the Johnstown HD locals.

Well the Tech called me Saturday to let me know he was on his way. And asked on the phone what was the problem. Well after i explaned, he said there was no reason to even stop. He just got done with the same call 30 mins from my place. So I wonder how many more calls, and how much more money dish want's to waste on this problem. Wish we could get a answer what is being done!!

I REALLY can just go out my front door and throw a rock at the next Zip code. They get different locals then i do. I would mind if they gave me them locals. I might have to change my address just so i can get locals in HD. Penn State game looked like CRAP in SD. I couldn't tell if it was snowing there or the pic was just that bad. Then I looked out my window and saw it wasn't snowing.

Unless you change your address to Philadelphia or Washington (assuming that the signal is as good where you are as it is here), I think you'd require another dish. Harrisburg's locals are on 77 (which at least makes sense) and Altoona's are for some inexplicable reason on 129.

I have a feeling that Dish really isn't planning on fixing the problem, because if they were maybe they'd tell the dealers about it so they could answer their customers' questions. Then again, this is Dish we're talking about, the most uncommunicative communications company in existence.

Well the Tech called me Saturday to let me know he was on his way. And asked on the phone what was the problem. Well after i explaned, he said there was no reason to even stop. He just got done with the same call 30 mins from my place. So I wonder how many more calls, and how much more money dish want's to waste on this problem. Wish we could get a answer what is being done!! .

Wow, that is EXACTLY what happened to me the last time I called and they set up for an appt. for a tech to come!

Penn State game looked like CRAP in SD. I couldn't tell if it was snowing there or the pic was just that bad.

Were you watching in on ABC? If so, yes is sucks, infact, ABC SD is WORSE then SD quality. I have VHS tapes from the 80's with better picture quality then ABC SD. It actually reminds me of watching youtube, only on my TV. It really does suck.

I can't believe SOMETHING hasn't been done yet. I mean Dish won't even acknowledge the problem or say "were working on it" or anything like that.

ABC has been horrible this season. Besides the low resolution, it breaks up totally every time there's a scene change! Normally if a channel was that bad I would complain, but I'm holding off this time because Fox is looking pretty good right now, I watch a lot more on Fox than I do on ABC, and I'd hate for them to steal any bandwidth from Fox. I don't know what I'm going to do when Lost comes on. Hopefully I'll be home to watch it on cable, which I've kept for the local HD channels til I see whether Dish is going to ever do anything.

ABC has been horrible this season. Besides the low resolution, it breaks up totally every time there's a scene change! Normally if a channel was that bad I would complain, but I'm holding off this time because Fox is looking pretty good right now, I watch a lot more on Fox than I do on ABC, and I'd hate for them to steal any bandwidth from Fox. I don't know what I'm going to do when Lost comes on. Hopefully I'll be home to watch it on cable, which I've kept for the local HD channels til I see whether Dish is going to ever do anything.
soon

Contacted WNEP

I just sent an e-mail to generalmanager@WNEP.com and engineering@WNEP.com with hopes that they either know something additional about the HD locals in Williamsport, PA or can perhaps help to push Dish to fix the coverage issue. I'll post the response here if I get one.

Does anyone want to write WBRE, WYOU, or WVIA? I'm sure the companies behind the channels do not know that their HD channels are not being made available to the entire Designated Market Area (DMA) by Dish.

WNEP's reply

Here is WNEP's reply and my original e-mail:

Subject:
RE: WNEP HD Local Channels on Dish Network
Date:
Mon, Nov 09, 2009 4:35 pm
To:
"Josh W**", WNEP Engineering, "Morgan, Chuck">

Hi Josh.
We are aware and have been pushing to not mislead any subscribers. Dish has not been forthright in these cases. Our contract does not specifically mention "all of the DMA, either SD or HD".
We do continue to try and resolve this through their representatives but continue to be told they need another satellite launched and this will not happen in the near future.for what it's worth, DirecTV does not have these issues within our DMA.
Mike

Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 3:35 PM
To: WNEP Engineering; Morgan, Chuck
Subject: WNEP HD Local Channels on Dish Network

Hello,

First of all, I feel I need to say that I love WNEP! It provides a great mix of local programming, along with the power of ABC's nationwide programming lineup. With that said, I need some help in obtaining access to WNEP HD..

I currently have Dish Network’s “Turbo HD” package with local programming. I was told by the sales representative that I would receive my local channels, including WNEP, in HD. However, while being installed, the technician told me that while Dish Network carries our local channels in HD, the signal level of the spot beam that they are carried on is not strong enough to penetrate the Williamsport area. Subsequent phone calls to Dish Network customer service hasn’t been helpful, with responses such as “it should work,” and “we are unaware of any issues in your area.” Most of the time they state the issue must be with my installation and attempt to schedule a technician out to come on site to check on it. However, the technician will always call me to cancel because of it being a “known issue on Dish’s end.” Dish has, up to this point, only made this situation right by providing various credits on my statement. While I appreciate the discount, it still doesn’t fix my issue. I want to watch WNEP in high definition using my Dish Network service.

Is WNEP aware of this issue? Apparently dish Network is carrying your channel on a spot beam that doesn’t even cover your entire viewing area. I understand that this is not directly the fault of WNEP, but surely there must be a contract between WNEP and Dish that states that coverage must be provided to the entire DMA? Do you know of any plans for Dish to fix this? Any insight or push from WNEP’s side is appreciated. Please feel free to forward or disseminate this e-mail to anyone you feel necessary.

Thank you for your time,
Josh W****

We do continue to try and resolve this through their representatives but continue to be told they need another satellite launched and this will not happen in the near future.

Wow, so even though they know there's a problem, they haven't made any provisions to fix it on any of the currently-scheduled satellite launches. That's pretty pathetic! Something should be done about this. They should be required to put our locals on ANY of the spotbeams that cover our area before they launch anymore locals.

I think that's the most information we have ever received. Thanks for obtaining it. It is sad that they choose to ignore it.
Once Directv gets MRV out of CE, I'm going to switch. My contract is almost up with Dish and I'm not going to wait anymore.

Folks:
It's time to get those OTA's up and going. WNEP-2 just started doing RTV and for most of the day! Except for it being in that small screen up above, this is great! The radar and other info is still down below but the RTV national feed (it seems) is up above.
The EPG is still showing the old stuff though. But hey! Take a look if you can.
Here is their program page.. WNEP-2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts