HD locals for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA timeframe??

I apologize...my error. :eek:

I got so excited I thought it was all of them, but Ch 16 will do for now!

So why did you beat me up last night? :)

Actually, it looks like they are not doing anyone in these markets that they have to pick up over the air. Dish equipment is at WNEP so they have a direct feed. WIth FOX, CBS and NBC out, that is how it looks. Our schedule has a Nov date on it from dish, but that is not an official list.

Day Two....

Sorry for the interruption

There is no need to call us.
We are working to have this channel back
as soon as possible.

You may still watch non-local
programming by pressing the GUIDE
button on your remote control
and selecting another channel.

But it's clear as a bell!

I'm getting the same thing in Milton, PA. My signal strength for other TP's on 61.5 is between 50 and 60 but TP 07 is only 5. I just got off a chat session with Dish and the tech wasn't aware of the problem. He said he would pass it up the line.

Yes, the message says there is no need to call them, but I'm a loner, Dottie, a rebel, and I called anyway and I get the same readings as Igabel and I'm in Williamsport. My tech too had no idea why.

So why did you beat me up last night? :)

Actually, it looks like they are not doing anyone in these markets that they have to pick up over the air. Dish equipment is at WNEP so they have a direct feed. WIth FOX, CBS and NBC out, that is how it looks. Our schedule has a Nov date on it from dish, but that is not an official list.

I beat you up last night because I want you to exert aggressive behavior to the ones "in the know" to get these other channels in HD faster!! ;)

Using psychology works faster! :D

Last edited:
I just got off a chat session with Dish and the tech wasn't aware of the problem. He said he would pass it up the line.

Dish, like most large companies, is notorious for a lack of communication.

SOMEONE at Dish knew in advance that the beam didn't cover the entire DMA, because one of the Pub members posted that he was told about it on September 30th.

I live in Lewisburg and I am guessing I will have the same spotbeam issues as you folks in Milton and Williamsport. How do I find out for sure? Do I just check my signal strength on transponder 7 at 61.5? What level do I need?

Assuming I am low, does this mean I am forever out of luck with Dish for HD locals?

I live in Lewisburg and I am guessing I will have the same spotbeam issues as you folks in Milton and Williamsport. How do I find out for sure? Do I just check my signal strength on transponder 7 at 61.5? What level do I need?

Assuming I am low, does this mean I am forever out of luck with Dish for HD locals?

According to the tech I was chatting with last night a signal as low as 15 will still work but I am only getting 5.
He also said: "We may know more later..It just came on-line yesterday. You could check back in a few weeks?" and "I assume this may get changed if enough problems arise.. " and "I was hoping someone would be in tech ops today. Must be too late...I will definitely check into it."

I have the same problem. My signal is 5 . Neighbor!

Misery loves company, so howdy neighbors!!!

Like most of you, I am in one the area that was waiting and counting on the HD from Dish because I am out of OTA range. Promised it's coming soon and waited and waited. Now it's here (partially) and I am not covered by their spotbeam. Nice!

Those of you that are in the spotbeam, congrats. You may also be excited to hear that I received an e-mail from the chief engineer of WYOU - WNEP this week that said this:

" [FONT=&quot]Dishnetwork has published a date of 11/3/08 for carrying WYOU/WBRE in HD.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Sometime in 2012 or later, we expect our translators such as 30 and 55 to flash cut to DTV. That is, they will then carry or digital programs in HD."[/FONT]

This means that those two should be spotbeamed in a little less than a month. For those of us out of the spotbeam, it finally looks like I have found the definition of the word "soon". We will get our locals sometime in 2012 or later when thee TV translators in the Williamsport area switch to digital and we can get them OTA. Yippee!! I can hardly wait. All of us will probably either be with D* by then or moved to Philly! Some already are!!!

I'm one of the lucky ones to be in the spotbeam. So I guess I'll have 3 of the 4 major networks in HD by early November. I'm still moved to Philly for now. ABC in HD isn't enough for me to move back just yet.

The last time the subject of Fox came up anywhere, someone said that Fox was demanding that they carry WQMY as well. Which is stupid, because WQMY is just about useless. (I think they picked up some sports contract this year, but that speaks volumes about the stupidity of the people negotiating sports contracts...) Also, Comcast does NOT carry WQMY, even in SD, and as far as I know DirecTV doesn't either, so I don't see why Dish should be required to, and I hope Dish has the sense to make an issue of it.

If Dish has any spare bandwidth at all, they desperately need to provide the CW in HD because the SD picture is so terrible, but I think they only people who get the CW is people who don't have 4 other HD channels.

Well , I changed my mind, And made the move back to Scranton Wilkes Barre DMA. Still getting locals of the 119 though. But this week I'm going to dig out and put my pole in the ground for my Dish 1000.4. So I'll let yous know in a few weeks if the SD is the same or better in MPEG 4

Thanks millett1956.

I assume you have the HD receiver and wing dish or second dish and you are not able to reach the 61.5 signal?

What part of Lewisburg are you in? Is all of Lewisburg out of luck?

So is this it? A week and most of the veiwing area can't get the HD channel and nothing is done? Does this mean when all the rest of the locals come on we'ere clear out of luck too? I called again last night and all I got was I'll write a report up and send it to technical.

For what it is worth a local dealer sent me this response to my question on the spot beam question.

Yes, there is a spotbeam issue with the HD locals, however Dish is working on solving the issue as we speak. Unfortuantely, they were unaware of any problem with transmission until we brought it to their attention. I am confident they will resolve the issue shortly. Please stay in touch and I will provide you with any information I receive.

Unfortuantely, they were unaware of any problem with transmission until we brought it to their attention.[/I]

I call BS on that. One of the board members found out from someone at Dish what parts of the area wouldn't be able to receive the signal a couple of weeks before it went live. Why the different parts of the company can't communicate with each other is anyone's guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts