HD + PVR + Dual Tuner?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The 8PSK board that many people think is a "must have" won't tune DVB-S2. It only works with turbo 8PSK and regular QPSK DVB-S signals.

The primary tuner in a VS9000 is capable of DVB-S2. But, as I said, I've only locked a DVB-S2 PBS transponder on AMC21 twice. Scanned in the channels, and no video because the lock would come and go. Haven't been able to lock it in at all for a few weeks. I get the DVB-S PBS channels on the same sat in the 80s and 90s but not Louisiana PBS.

There are some other S2 transponders that I know of but haven't been able to lock them. The VS doesn't give you a Q reading when you're on a S2 transponder either which is just dumb.

Anybody have a strong S2 transponder that I could try out? This is where a BLSA would be handy but alas, no money right now.

That is good to know yet unfortunate it performs so poorly. I know the add on boards are for the piracy subculture of FTA, and that they are incapable of rx'ing the true DVB-S2 format. I suppose in the specs for the VS it defines DVB-S2 as native, but that's where I get lost, interpreting those specs and differentiating them from the DN variant of S2.
I wonder does that mean if the SonicView 8000 has identical 'native', non turbo add on board specs it will lock to the legal S2 format as well? What about the Max or that new Nfusion(?) unit. What must the spec say for it to actually lock to the S2 signals we desire?
Could your S2 signals issues be signal level related? I've read that proper S2 receiption requires a higher signal level than what we are used to getting with dishes that perform adaquately with DVB and DCII. Personally I see no advantage to providers 'upgrading' to a mode that requires more saturation to broadcast usable and stable content. I dont know all the details on how EVu is doing it, but they did not jump on the turbo bandwagon, they are not S2, yet they can apparently provide reliable HD content using standard DVB means, so that begs the Q, what is so great about the S2 variant of DVB?

Personally I see no advantage to providers 'upgrading' to a mode that requires more saturation to broadcast usable and stable content. I dont know all the details on how EVu is doing it, but they did not jump on the turbo bandwagon, they are not S2, yet they can apparently provide reliable HD content using standard DVB means, so that begs the Q, what is so great about the S2 variant of DVB?
Let's see then:
1. Backwards compatibility, if desired, with DVB-S
More flexibility in FEC rates: 1/4, 1/3, 2/5, 1/2, 3/5, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, 5/6, 8/9 and 9/10 = Whoohoo! I like those lower FEC rates!!!
2. As well as Modulation: QPSK (I believe this is what DVB-S uses), 8PSK, 16APSK, and 32APSK
Those who are shooting for the NBC feeds on 105W are shooting for a 8PSK mod.
NOT THE QPSK WE ARE USED TO. I think we end up comparing apples to oranges when we use the NBC nationals as our reference for DVB-S2 vs. DVB
NBC is just giving us the usual reminder that we are watching something not intended for us, yet.
With the tighter modulation scheme, it's not surprising that we need to be even more "spot on" to get these.

3. New MPEG4 transport streams; meaning the same streams taking less space in the same bitrate thereby allowing a lot more streams in the same transponder space.

Disclaimer: I am originally a computer geek and I wrote the following thinking I could explain MPEG2 vs. MPEG4. Ha hahahaha NO :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:
I wrote this far and decided to stop. But I wrote it so I might as well post it.
Rant follows trying to explain using my limited observations:

For reference my Hauppage HVR-1600 (I believe) captures NTSC TV and converts it to MPEG2 at 6Mbps
A normal NTSC channel will look OK at 4Mbps
For me, an ATSC SD (704x480) channel that is fuzzy/blurry but watchable takes 3Mbps in MPEG2

As for HD on ATSC (so MPEG2), I've seen various bitrates for 720p and 1080i stream but it comes down to this, 10Mbps is blurred/fuzzy except for stills but still watchable, while 12-15Mbps is fine for 720p and 1080i action/sports. Switched over to MPEG 4 (planned for ATSC v2) and and we can get 2 HD streams in 1 physical channel while still keeping all of the "junk" null packets that eat up 2Mbps but keeps the ATSC tuner from getting confused.

The theory is that MPEG4 can reproduce those results with half that bitrate.
So the same NTSC in MPEG4 at 3 Mbps
So the same NTSC in MPEG4 at 3 Mbps
So the same ATSC SD in MPEG4 at 1.5 Mbps
So the same ATSC HD in MPEG4 at 6-8 Mbps

The part I'm missing is how much data each stream can hold at different symbol rates.
This is where I would have to assume and we know what happens when you do that....
I do know ATSC OTA is a 6MHz channel about 19Mbps
I would like to know what is the bitrate on c-band and ku-band at various standard symbolrates with DVB-S (QPSK)
Like 2222,4340,20000,30000
Comparison of MPEG2, MPEG4 and h.264 (MPEG4 part 10)
MPEG4-10 (MPEG4 part 10 or h.26l) versus MPEG4-2
DVB-S2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia = this page has actually improved since the last time I had a look.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)