Hdmi 1.3

Status
Please reply by conversation.

podman

Original poster
Nov 17, 2005
I'm sure everybody knows that HDMI has set V. 1.3 as the new version of HDMI. The question I have for the folks on this forum is, " For the new D* HD boxes, are the HDMI interfaces 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3?

If they are not V1.3, why would I want to get the current box? Should I just wait until they or someone else puts out a V1.3 late this year or next year?

Thanks

I don't think anyone knows the answer to this...you may be better off contacting
PACE (if you mean the HR20-700) DVR. If you mean the newer receivers, I'm
sure it is ver 1.2., at any rate D* has many manf. of their equipment, and I don't
know if all of them are adopter's of the HDMI license. PACE and Tivo are, so I would assume any new equip. by them would include the newest ver.
The newer ver. it seems to me, does not do all that much..it is designed for FUTURE equip.

podman said:
I'm sure everybody knows that HDMI has set V. 1.3 as the new version of HDMI. The question I have for the folks on this forum is, " For the new D* HD boxes, are the HDMI interfaces 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3?

If they are not V1.3, why would I want to get the current box? Should I just wait until they or someone else puts out a V1.3 late this year or next year?

Thanks
There is probaly no consumer tv, or device that uses the never stardard that was just adopted and not that big of deal since older standards will still work. If your concered about a smaller connector then don't buy a tv or dvd player until 2008.

"All versions of the HDMI specification support the ability to watch HD-DVD / Blu-Ray content in high definition up to 1080p resolution. However, there may be non-HDMI reasons that prevent some devices from accessing content in high definition, including lack of HDCP support." from http://www.hdmi.org

Last edited:
There is no advantage to HDMI 1.3 over HDMI 1.1 with regards to satellite receivers. Both handle 1080p transport, both handle PCM multichannel audio-although with sat signals you get Dolby Digital anyways, not PCM MC. HDMI 1.3 adds support for higher color depths up to 48 bit, although there is only display I'm aware of that even takes 30 bit currently, in any case it's highly doubtful a satellite receiver will utilize that color depth as it's probably not in the original signal anyways.

So as far as satellite receivers go, proper and full implementation of HDMI 1.1 is all you really need, so there's really no need to wait for a HDMI 1.3 compliant STB.

The big thing that is for the HDMI 1.3 is HD DVD and Blue Ray, and also from what I have heard, the chip stocks are in a super tight supply due to sony buying up a good majority for the PS3

HDMI 1.3 is only a big deal if you also have a receiver able to decode the new sound formats available with the BD and HD-DVD. On a satellite receiver it's no better than the 1.1.

Agreed, the only real practical advantage to HDMI 1.3 is it will carry HiRez audio formats from HD-DVD and BD, and even then, most all discs in those formats are being created to have the audio decoded in the player and then sent multichannel PCM to the receiver/pre-pro anyway so HDMI 1.3 is not even really needed there also.

Regarding the PS3, the last thing I read is that it would not have HDMI 1.3, although that may have changed in the last week or so. HDMI 1.3 silicon is not expected to be available until 1st or 2nd quarter of 2007 which means HDMI 1.3 devices coming out mid to late 2007.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts