GEOSATpro HDVR3500 - freezes on boot

You will have to delete and rescan the TPs with 22Khz OFF and a new LNB profile of a single LO (hopefully 9750) to log the transponders are on a tuneable IF (950-2150Mhz). Do not set the 22KHz ON or it may or may not set the LNBF to the upperband (LO 10600).

The purpose of this test is to eliminate the 22Khz tone and possible LNBF band switching errors from the equation. Transponders below 11900Mhz are able to be tuned by all DVBS receivers (typical IF tuning range 950-2150Mhz). If the receiver is left in the LNB type Universal, the band switch point between low band (10700-11700 @ LO 9750) and high band (11700-12750 @ LO 10600) happens automatically at 11700Mhz. In Standard type LNB setting with one LO, no switch point occurs as there is only one band.

In theory, the receiver will be able to retune without issuing a 22KHz tone. Here is the math: 11900 Mhz (transponder downlink frequency) - 9750Mhz (LO frequency) = 2150MHz IF (Intermediate Frequency).

Reactions: . Raine and Psikic
You will have to delete and rescan the TPs with 22Khz OFF and a new LNB profile of a single LO (hopefully 9750) to log the transponders are on a tuneable IF (950-2150Mhz). Do not set the 22KHz ON or it may or may not set the LNBF to the upperband (LO 10600).

The purpose of this test is to eliminate the 22Khz tone and possible LNBF band switching errors from the equation. Transponders below 11900Mhz are able to be tuned by all DVBS receivers (typical IF tuning range 950-2150Mhz). If the receiver is left in the LNB type Universal, the band switch point between low band (10700-11700 @ LO 9750) and high band (11700-12750 @ LO 10600) happens automatically at 11700Mhz. In Standard type LNB setting with one LO, no switch point occurs as there is only one band.

In theory, the receiver will be able to retune without issuing a 22KHz tone. Here is the math: 11900 Mhz (transponder downlink frequency) - 9750Mhz (LO frequency) = 2150MHz IF (Intermediate Frequency).

Well how about that! Taking the 22Khz switching out of the equation solves the issue with not being able to lock some transponders after moving the dish. So this proves that support for at least some Universal Ku LNBFs are broken in the current release. Switching to a standard LNBF should at least help me work around this problem until the 22Khz support is fixed. Also, my other issue involving the box freezing if it can't get a lock should be less likely if this switching is not needed.

Thank you Titanium for your help.

I noticed in the log files coming from the dvb process that after positioning the motor, it emits a line "Resume 22k after send Diseqc". I am thinking it is failing to resume sending the 22Khz tone when motor control is done and the LNB switches back to the low band. What I am not understanding is why it takes some time. Its like the transponder locks and then the quality fades. I would expect it to turn off like a switch. If the LNB switches back to low band abruptly when the high band TP is already locked, would the Quality fade slowly from 97 to 0, or would the quality immediately go to 0? Is this dependent on the LNB or possibly even a result of how good the error correction on the stream?

The Signal Quality reading is just a layman's expression of the BER. The decoding is affected by many variables. Digital channels do not instantly play during a channel / transponder change. Enough signal must be received to apply the correction then the service is buffered. Cover the LNBF with your hand and observe the amount of time it takes for the service to stop playing. Each receiver and signal will be slightly different. Remember aiming the dish for the first time? Move a little.... Wait.... Move a little.... Wait.... Move a little... Wait...

Reactions: Psikic
Makes sense. That would explain why if 22Khz dropped out suddenly why it would look like the dish was moving past the satellite but in reality it was aimed at it just fine but the signal fades away. In reality it is just the buffer draining.

... What I am not understanding is why it takes some time. ...
Long ago when I had my 3500 I noticed sluggish performance and slow response, at times, to remote control commands. Given that the box is limited by a single core processor and burdened by many processes going, a 16-bit data bus and insufficient RAM, delayed execution of the 22 KHz signal is no surprise.

Easy enough to see 22KHz and DiSEqC signals with a scope or on a cheap $5 signal meter with 22KHz indicator LED. A 22KHz tone will light the LED and a DiSEqC signal will flicker the LED). You should be able to see when the 22KHZ and/or DiSEqC signals are issued.

The DiSEqC commands are not continuous and the millisecond bursts are typically sent once (E0) to initiate the move/switch then the process is sent as a repeated command (E1) xx seconds later if signal is not acquired. The 22KHz tone is supposed to be continuous and immediately resume without delay until a switch is made or motor lands. I believe that the firmware error is in the 22KHz implementation and not a processor deficiency when executing DiSEqC switch or motor strings.

Last edited:
Reactions: . Raine
I'd almost bet money that it is the 22KHZ implementation causing the error, or rather, the band aid patch done to it in the last firmware. :D

Wish I would have took your bet Raine. Well it was working fine for a bit. I am now using a standard LNB, with 22Khz turned off. I set up and blindscanned about 12 satellites. I'm still having the problem where it will move to the satellite, lock the signal for a bit and then the quality drops to 0 after a few seconds and it loses signal. The channels work when you return to TV view after blind scanning the satellite, but once you move away and move back you get the issue. I just purchased a video capture card so that I can record what is happening and post it in a few days.

Psikic,

I don't use my Amiko Mini HD SE anymore now that I have a U4 Quad and K1+. I think most people here would agree that the Mini HD SE is one of the most stable receivers that have been made in recent times. Sadly it has been discontinued.

As long as the problem is not with the cabling/connections or your motor, then I am confident that the Mini HD SE will solve your problem. I am willing to sell it to you for a reasonable amount. Please PM me if interested.

Brett

Psikic,

I don't use my Amiko Mini HD SE anymore now that I have a U4 Quad and K1+. I think most people here would agree that the Mini HD SE is one of the most stable receivers that have been made in recent times. Sadly it has been discontinued.

As long as the problem is not with the cabling/connections or your motor, then I am confident that the Mini HD SE will solve your problem. I am willing to sell it to you for a reasonable amount. Please PM me if interested.

Brett

Wow, that's pretty cool!

Reactions: N6BY
Thanks Fred.

Psikic, all I would ask is that you check your cabling and connections with a multimeter before going with the Mini HD. Could be a bad or flaky connection in your cabling near your motor that gets jiggled when the motor moves the dish.

Psikic, all I would ask is that you check your cabling and connections with a multimeter before going with the Mini HD. Could be a bad or flaky connection in your cabling near your motor that gets jiggled when the motor moves the dish.

I will check to be sure, but to me it doesn't seem as likely. After all everything works fine on my X2 M1HD receiver and TBS 5980 receiver. It now seems to be more of an issue with locking certain transponders, because some TP on the same satellite won't exhibit the problem, but other TP will. I have not yet found the pattern as to which ones do and which don't. I first thought it was high frequency ones, but had it happen on low frequency ones. I have had it happen on HD as well as SD, on plain MP1 audio as well as AC3, on satellites from 117W all the way to 91W (not to say it doesn't happen anywhere else). The TV capture card arrives Sunday so I'll make a video to demonstrate it then.

I will check to be sure, but to me it doesn't seem as likely. After all everything works fine on my X2 M1HD receiver and TBS 5980 receiver. It now seems to be more of an issue with locking certain transponders, because some TP on the same satellite won't exhibit the problem, but other TP will. I have not yet found the pattern as to which ones do and which don't. I first thought it was high frequency ones, but had it happen on low frequency ones. I have had it happen on HD as well as SD, on plain MP1 audio as well as AC3, on satellites from 117W all the way to 91W (not to say it doesn't happen anywhere else). The TV capture card arrives Sunday so I'll make a video to demonstrate it then.
If you haven't found a pattern then its possible there isn't one -- it could just be random?

But if it works on two other receivers then the chances are its the 3500.

Psikic,

I mailed you the Amiko Mini HD SE today via Priority Mail. You should have it Friday.

Also, have you considered getting a C-band dish? Lots more to watch now on C-Band.

The most difficult part of setting up a BUD (for me at least) was getting my wife to let me put it up. For 2 years after we moved into our new house her answer was no, and the dish sat unassembled in the side yard. One week while she was out of town I decided to put it up. She didn't notice it for a few days and finally I confessed.

Brett

Reactions: Titanium
Thank you sir. I'd love to get a C-Band dish, but I live in a subdivision with a fairly small back yard. Yes, getting my wife to accept it would be a huge hurdle, but I also don't have the first clue as to where to get one. Apparently BUDs have gotten very scarce around here. Secondly, it would involve a more permanent mount than we would necessary like at this time, since we aren't completely sure this is where we will be living in the next 5 years. The Ku dish I have is a motorized 90cm which is mounted on a leveled NPRM with 16 concrete blocks. I've been in the hobby for about a month now, we'll see what happens over time :)

Here's my Ku dish, and my array of DN dishes.
IMG_20160506_193255.jpg

My Channel Master 1.0 is on the original Channel Master NPRM with only six 1/2 blocks. Has not moved in 60+mph winds. 16 should keep yours in place in the heart of a F5 tornado (although I think the dish would be in the next county) My 10ft BUD is also on a NPRM - of sorts. AKA a 'Free Floating slab'. Could be formed circular instead of rectangular. That would allow it being tipped and rolled to a new position. (minus the dish) http://www.wisegise.net/BUD/3469/ (towards the bottom of page) Sorry for being/continuing 'off topic'.
So now, back, to the original topic (C Band ROCKS!)

Reactions: N6BY
Sorry for being/continuing 'off topic'.
So now, back, to the original topic (C Band ROCKS!)
Apology not necessary IMO. A stable receiver (from me) is en-route for the O.P. The 3500 should never have been released to the unsuspecting public and it is an embarrassment to SatGuys for allowing it to begin with.

If I am banned very soon for saying this, then so be it.

The 3500 should never have been released to the unsuspecting public and it is an embarrassment to SatGuys for allowing it to begin with.
I agree it should not have been released. I disagree its an embarassment to SATGUYS. Its an embarassment to SatAv yes. Satguys as a forum doesn't know when things are released always and we dont have a lot of input on hardware or software choices. IMHO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)