[CNX] HELP! 80-99 signal strength 0-0 quality strength

puma80

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2013
North Pole , Idaho
Had dishnetwork for over a decade before going OTA with an old UHF grille for 6 channels .
Put my toe in the water of FTA . Purchased a system CNX-Nano . Tech advised
aim at Galaxy 19 97W ( 139mag here ) and LNB skew matches -17 with 31 elevation .
Tech where purchased advised to put freq at 11991 and LNB on Universal 1 .
LNB power=on , 22=off , dis=none , satellite is galaxy 19 . Then tech said fine
tune aim on dish to get best Q bar . Well the only thing that ever moved was the S bar .
After aiming everywhere the Q bar was stuck on '0' without as much as a flicker .
I ended up fine tuning the aim for a 80-99 signal strength , but still '0' Q .
Do I have something turned off or am I missing some setting ?????

Tech at SatPro basically said all his settings were perfect and the reciever is perfect and any problems are 100% on me ( basically just short of calling me an idiot not capable of operating an FTA ) . The only thing he kept harping on was satellite is not aimed right though after 8 hours on the thing one would think I would get the Quality strength to atleast chirp 1% atleast once . About to trashcan the whole FTA thing

He's right, your not aimed right. Do yourself a favor and invest in a satellite meter before you drive yourself nuts. Also make sure your local oscillator setting is correct or you will never tune it. Depending on your lnb it will be 10750 fixed or for a universal lnb 10600 MHz most likely.

Thanks Arion . I actually originally used the OTM 100 satellite tracker Wed and Thur . Adjusted dial to read 5 then adjusted towards strongest signal . Re-ajusted db to 5 again fine tuning aim to where it would increase . S-bar in Channel search was up between 80 and 99 . Q-bar still 0 . SatPro tech today said I should never ever use it as it is only for FTA experts ( though they are the ones to send it to me ) . So for 4 hours I have grid patterned that section of sky 1/4 degree at a time to cover E-W and up-down 4 degrees elevation and 4 degrees E to W from original 31.7 elevation , original magnetic bearing 139.1 azimuth 154.1 true . S-bar goes from 50 to 99 , but Q-bar is permentently 0 without so much as a twitch :/

He's right, your not aimed right. Do yourself a favor and invest in a satellite meter before you drive yourself nuts. Also make sure your local oscillator setting is correct or you will never tune it. Depending on your lnb it will be 10750 fixed or for a universal lnb 10600 MHz most likely.
Oribital tracker confirms my alignment dropping chime if I change elevation or azimuth . Did not pick Galaxy 19 as a preferred bird , but as the loudest to see if I could even get the Q-bar to move off 0 . Is there another way to test the Q-bar ??????

Ok, A bit more detail in what you have and what you've done would help.
?
NP Fat Air
Aligned dish for Galaxy 19 ( not preferred but loudest bird ) 97W ( El 31.7 , 131.9 mag azm , 154.1 true with -17 skew for this location )
Confirmed extremely strong signal with OTM-100 tracker . Settings in channel search as recommended . {New out of box Nano }
sat=97W
Dis=none
Freq= 11991 ( recommended )
LNB= universal 1 ( recommended )
22=off
LNB power = on
S-bar goes from 80-99
Q-bar never moves off 0
Started testing each freq anyway . S-bar would change , Q-bar never comes off 0
Started putting nearby birds in Sat settings thinking I locked onto a neighbor between 95W and 99W .
S-bar drops to 70s , but explored each of their frequencies anyway . S-bar would change but Q-bar always reads 0
I would love to see the Q-bar move atleast once , to even 1% just to see that it works . Is there a way to test it ?

Look at your lnb on the dish. What is your lnb frequency which should be printed on the side of the lnb? If the lnb says universal your lnb frequency on your satellite set up on the receiver should be 10600 with your 22khz setting to on. If your lnb frequency says 10750 then make sure your satellite setup for 97 is set to a local oscillator of 10750 with the 22khz setting off. Once that is done adjust your elevation for the highest signal and then move the dish not more than a quarter of an inch at a time then pause and check for quality.

Thanks Doug ;) I will give it a shot . It seems like everything on the dish is correct and with such a loud bird I was hoping to make the Q-bar move once ;)
No such luck . Message box [ Cannot use 22 tone with this LNB ] . But I did try all other LNBs listed in system with 22 on and with 22 off . S-bar would change , some 0 , some 70s , original at 80-99 . But Q-bar still 0 .
Any other way to test Q-bar ???

Basic questions

What type and size dish?
What brand and model LNBF?
Is the pole plumb? Must be perfectly vertical. Use level to verify in several places around pole.
Pictures of the dish, mount, and LNBF from several directions would help.
What sort of cable and connectors are you using ?
Does the CNX have blind scan capability?
I appreciate that you are frustrated trying to get going on your own, but you just began getting help here.
Let us help you work through the problem.
We will find the answer.
We don't fail as long as you don't give up. :up

What type and size dish?
What brand and model LNBF?
Is the pole plumb? Must be perfectly vertical. Use level to verify in several places around pole.
Pictures of the dish, mount, and LNBF from several directions would help.
What sort of cable and connectors are you using ?
Does the CNX have blind scan capability?
I appreciate that you are frustrated trying to get going on your own, but you just began getting help here.
Let us help you work through the problem.
We will find the answer.
We don't fail as long as you don't give up. :up

No problem , still plugging away at it .
Satellite Receiver CNX-Nano features:
  • 1 years Warranty
  • USB 2.0 Port on Front Panel.
  • Fully MPEG-2 & DVB Compliant
  • Supports EPG, PIG
  • Supports SCPC & MCPC from C / Ku-band
  • DiSEqC 1.0, 1.2 and USALS Compatible
  • 1 LNB Input Tuner with Loop Through IF Signal
  • Fast Booting & Auto Scan
  • Quick Channel Changing
  • Max. 5,000 Channels(TV & Radio) Programmable
  • On-Screen display with 65,536 color
  • Various LNB Polarity Control
  • Blind scan (power scan) & powerful EPG
  • 22KHz Switching Control
  • 6 RCA Output for Video, Audio L/R
  • Optical Output for Digital Audio
  • Dolby Digital Bitstream out through S/PDIF
  • Component Y/Pb/Pr Output via RCA
  • S-VIDEO Output
  • RF-Modulator Output
  • MP3/JPEG File Play via USB
  • Power Switch

LNB
    Specifications on Orbital Tracker OTL-U01
    Universal Single LNB with 0.2dB Noise Figure (HD & Mpeg4 Approved)

Input Frequency
    10.7 - 11.7 Ghz
    11.7-12.75 Ghz
    Output Frequency
    950 - 2150 MHz
    LO Frequency
    9.75 Ghz
    10.6 Ghz
    LO Initial Accuracy (@25°C)
    +- 1 MHz
    LO Temperature Drift (@ -40 – 60°C)
    +- 3 MHz
    LO Phase Noise
    @ 1 KHz offset
    -60 dBc/Hz

@ 10 KHz offset
    -80 dBc/Hz

@ 100 KHz offset
    -100 dBc/Hz
    Noise Figure
    0.2 dB or better (Typ.)
    Conversion Gain
    55dB (Min.)
    Gain Variation
    8dB p-p (Typ.)
    Gain Flatness (27 MHz)
    +- 0.5 dB
    lsolation

20 dB (Min.) 25 dB (Typ.)
    Image Rejection
    -40 dB (Min.)
    P 1dB
    0 dBm (Min.)
    Output VSWR
    2 : 1 (Max) 1.7:1 Avg
    HD Ready

Yes
    DC Current Consumption
    200 mA (Max.) Avg 130mA
    Polarization Switching Voltage Vertical:
    11.5 - 14.52 V
    Polarization Switching Voltage Horizontal:
    16.0 -19.0 V
    Band Switching
    Low: 0 KHz

High 22 +- 4 KHz
    LO Spurious
    -55 dBm (Max.) -46dBm -48dBm
    Operation Temperature
    -35°C to 70°C
    Waterproof
    60°C water for 1 Hour
    MPEG 4

Approved

DISH
    Item No
    SP75 Ku
    Panel (Sector Divided)
    Offset Angle
    22°

Measure

730 x 800

Size

75cm

Ku-Band Gain @ 12.5GHz
    38.2dB
    F/D Ratio
    Focus Length
    Material
    Steel
    Finish
    Electro Zinked Coating
    Mounting Type
    Pole & Wall
    Elevation Alignment
    0°~60°
    Azimuth Alignment
    Fixed/0°~360°
    Operational Winds
    Able to receive
    25m/sec
    Able to re-set
    40m/sec
    Without Damage
    60m/sec
    Ambient Temperature
    -40°C~+60°C
    Relative Humidity
    0~100%

And orbital tracker
    Satellite Meter

This satellite meter features H/V (Horizontal/Vertical) indicator lights, audio tone, db adjustment, 22KHz, illumination and a compass for better tracking your satellite.

Set LNB type to Universal
?Set LNB freq to 10600
Set 22Khz to ON or AUTO
www.dishpointer.com << get your 'line', elevation and skew**.
Select TP 11991, Vertical, SR= 22000
Pan from left of the line, in small stepped increments, to right of the line.
You may have to wait 10 seconds for the receiver to 'lock' the signal and display "Q".
If nothing raise or lower dish 1/2 a degree and repeat. Repeat until "Q" is displayed, then fine tune for maximum "Q".

**skew as shown at dishpointer is when you're standing behind the dish, reverse direction of arrow if standing in front, looking at the dishes face.(back of LNBF)

All this is easiest if you have the television and receiver 'at the dish'.
That sat meter will show an indication of a signal, but not a particular satellite.
Best to leave it out, do not connect it, while doing the above.
Later, with experience, it may come in useful.
Do NOT connnect/disconnect coax connections with the power applied to the receiver. Best to UNPLUG the 120v line.
The pole the dish mount is on has to be perfectly vertical to have an 'easy' alignment experience.

Last edited:
Set LNB type to Universal
?Set LNB freq to 10600
Set 22Khz to ON or AUTO
www.dishpointer.com << get your 'line', elevation and skew**.
Select TP 11991, Vertical, SR= 22000
Pan from left of the line, in small stepped increments, to right of the line.
You may have to wait 10 seconds for the receiver to 'lock' the signal and display "Q".
If nothing raise or lower dish 1/2 a degree and repeat. Repeat until "Q" is displayed, then fine tune for maximum "Q".

**skew as shown at dishpointer is when you're standing behind the dish, reverse direction of arrow if standing in front, looking at the dishes face.(back of LNBF)

Does Q take longer to lock the S ?
Actually was on Vert . Another person suggested Horz
SR is defaulted on 22000 TP has been 11991 . 22 windowed will not function with universal LNB so could not use it .
Perhaps Q bar takes several minutes compared to 5-10 seconds of S-bar . Getting over 90F outside now so time to work in shop
dish.jpg Hope that is a good location . It had obstacle a couple days ago taggedMoose.jpg

Name: 97W GALAXY 19 (G-19)
Elevation: 31.7°
Azimuth (true): 154.1°
Azimuth (magn.): 139.1°
LNB Skew [?]: -17.0°

Sig just indicates it's connected to 'something', could be a switch, could be an LNBF, or any combination.
Quality- it takes time for the micro processor to capture the stream[LOCK] and then display how good it is. It's Quality.

Ok, looks like your dish is on a motor. Whole different 'con 'o' worms.
Skew is set to '0' and left there. the motor will 'take care of it'.
Find your 'south satellite' first. the one that's closest to your Latitude.
The elevation scale on the dish requires setting set to a calculated value that is not the actual elevation of the satellite. Look in the instructions for the motor.
Set the Latitude scale on the motor to your Latitude.
?Set satellites to use USALS to move dish
Program your exact location in the USALS programming.
select satellite, motor moves, rotate motor/dish assembly on pole to acquire Q.
Fine tune the motor 'twist' on the pole and dish elevation-NOT the motor elevation.
I'd have to find another post to put the whole motor procedure here.
What model is the motor?

22 windowed will not function with universal LNB so could not use it .
Universal defaults to AUTO on many models Grays out selection.

Sig just indicates it's connected to 'something', could be a switch, could be an LNBF, or any combination.
Quality- it takes time for the micro processor to capture the stream[LOCK] and then display how good it is. It's Quality.

Ok, looks like your dish is on a motor. Whole different 'con 'o' worms.
Skew is set to '0' and left there. the motor will 'take care of it'.
Find your 'south satellite' first. the one that's closest to your Latitude.
The elevation scale on the dish requires setting set to a calculated value that is not the actual elevation of the satellite. Look in the instructions for the motor.
Set the Latitude scale on the motor to your Latitude.
?Set satellites to use USALS to move dish
Program your exact location in the USALS programming.
select satellite, motor moves, rotate motor/dish assembly on pole to acquire Q.
Fine tune the motor 'twist' on the pole and dish elevation-NOT the motor elevation.
I'd have to find another post to put the whole motor procedure here.
What model is the motor?

Universal defaults to AUTO on many models Grays out selection.

Yeah , it has a DiSEqC H-H Motor SG-2100 using DiSEqC 1.2 to move from Motek Electric Corp .
I originally aligned it on this bird
Name:
116.8W SATMEX 5 Elevation: 35.0° Azimuth (true): 180.0° Azimuth (magn.): 164.9° LNB Skew [?]: -0.0° making sure motor was at dead center meaning dish would be at its highest elevation with LNB at 0 . That way changing azimuth moving dish with motor would automatically follow satellites azimuths and LNB skew . Though I got a S-bar of 70 and meter showed I was hitting something Q-bar never moved off 0 regardless of 1/4° changes . That is when I positioned it for the loudest bird hoping to get the Q-bar to atleast blip a 1 out of 100 rather then always being on 0 . SatPro tech replied I should never put their system on a motor mount being such a novice . ( curious if he is a former student I flunked LOL ) 180 south.jpg View from Satellite at 180° true south , 35° elevation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts