Help in OTA antenna selection

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sharkdanger

Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
Seattle
Hello... long time Dish subscriber but am thinking about finally going OTA since I find my local channels are about all I watch live anymore. I was wondering if someone could help me make sense of the antenna recommendations I'm getting from various sources. My house is a two-story house about 15-20 miles NE of Seattle. We're up on a hill with not too many obstructions looking south. When I run a TVFool report, I get this - TVFool. This seems to imply I could get away with a set-top or attic installation. However, when I run an Antennaweb report, it tells me I need an outdoor "large directional" antenna. Based on the TVFool report, anyone have any suggestions of what might actually work for me? I'm mainly interested in the locals, including HD. I'd like to stay as inconspicuous as possible, since it's a new neighborhood and I really don't want to be the first one to throw a big antenna on the roof (even though I know I have the right).

Thanks for the help!

Look at the "RF" or actual channel frequencies of the channels you need, then go to http://www.antennacraft.net to select one and order it from Radioshack.com. I usually use the small high VHF/UHF one (HBU22) since there are very few low VHF stations and none in my market. If all your stations are UHF, the UHF only antennas are a lot smaller. Also check out the HDX1000, looks like a satellite dish.

Last edited:
you're 14 miles from the towers and all are line of site
all your channels are between 7-51 so the HBU22 or the HBU33 will work just fine.
2 of your stations are on VHF...PBS 9 and CW11. the rest are on UHF

I use a HBU33 here in Minneapolis (I'm 29 miles from the towers) and it works great.
(I've upgraded to a HBU44 but that is more for trying to get stations from outside my market)

Radio Shack has the HBU22 and the HBU33

Solid Signal also carries the HBU22 and the HBU33 for a lot less (even with shipping)

Thanks for the quick replies! One more question - how realistic is it that I'd still get the channels if I were to install one of these antennas in the attic versus outside on the roof? Are there any set guidelines or factors I can consider to understand if it will work or not? Thanks!

Thanks for the quick replies! One more question - how realistic is it that I'd still get the channels if I were to install one of these antennas in the attic versus outside on the roof? Are there any set guidelines or factors I can consider to understand if it will work or not? Thanks!

depends on what your roof is made of and the type of shingles. If you want to do an attic mount I would recommend getting the bigger (HBU33) antenna. That will help compensate for any signal you'll lose by having it in the attic

I think my roof is pretty standard in our area for new build houses - plywood with underlayment and composite shingles. I'll look into some of the recommendations here and give it a shot... worst case I have to move it outside. Thanks again for all of the help!

As Iceberg points out you will need a larger antenna if you put it in your attic. The usual rule of thumb is that you will lose about half of your signal in the attic. Also try get as few obstructions as possible. Avoid trees, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)