Status
Please reply by conversation.

John Popper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Central Mexico
Hi all,

Can I please get your input? the below image is of my current LNB, ive had it for over 20 years and would like to know if its worthwhile to replace it with one of two options I came across.

CURRENT LNB
1601280614370104.jpg

from what I can make out from whats left of the tag, my current LNB is a California Amplifier Slimline II Model C31012. I cannot make out the gain nor the noise numbers, which is why I need to know if any of these two options is better than the one I currently have.

OPTION 1:

LNB PANSAT

Mod: PC-9500W
Input Frequency: 3.4 ~ 4.2 GHz.
Output Frequency: 950 ~ 1750 MHz.
L.O. Frequency: 5150 + 2MHz.
Noise Temp. (@ + 25'C): 17 to 25'K Max.
Input VSWR: 2.5 : 1 Typ.
Image Rejection: 40 dBc Min.
Conversion Gain: 65 dB Typ.
Output VSWR: 2 : 1 Typ.
Gain Flatness: 6 dBp-p Max.
Gain Ripple(Per Channel): +/- 0.75 dB Max.
1dB Gain Compression Point: +5 dBm Max.
Output Impedance: 75 Ohms.
Leakage(@ Input Port): -60 dBm Max.
Phase Noise: -80 dBc/Hz(@ 10KHz), -95 dBc/Hz(@ 100KHz), -110 dBc/Hz(@ 1 MHz).

OPTION 2:

LNB CHAPARRAL

Specifications:
Part Number 11-7250-1
Input Frequency 3.4 – 4.2 GHz
Output frequency 950 – 1750 MHz
Output Connector Type “F” Female Connector
Conversion Gain 65 dB typical
Noise Figure 20 dB
LO frequency 5.15 GHz
LO stability +/- 2.5 MHz
Weight 200g

In your experience do you think im better served getting one of these two options rather than sticking with the one I have? FYI the price they are asking is pretty much the same for the chaparral and the pansat

Thanks for the input

What would be good to know is how much LO drift due to age and condition each unit may have. The only way to know is to install each one and scan a known frequency and see how close the scan result is. The suggested replacements have a little better noise spec than what you are you using.

Reactions: Titanium
I would stay away from the pansat for sure. If your present lnb is working well than don't replace it. California Amplifier is a quality lnb. Looking at their website, their present offering for a dro lnb has a lo frequency stability spec of +/- 500 kHz ( the chapparal you mentioned has a range that is ten times that with the same advertised noise temprature).

Lo frequency stability is much more important than noise temperature when it comes to locking a weak signal. I myself use phase locked loop (pll) lnbs, and I can lock a signal with a quality of 30% or less (and it is stable).

If you feel you need to upgrade, then you get the best bang for your buck with the titanium C1 pll. The lo frequency stability is better than the best Norsat dro, its cheaper and it is a voltage swicthing lnb (no more servo motor).

Last edited:
it's working well, however during mornings and early afternoon I seem to get a drop on S2 8PSK feeds (for instance CBS @ 97W) and sometimes the difference between locking and not locking is 1-2% according to my PC tuner or my Openbox receiver, so thats what I want, a little extra gain, cause I have tinkered with the dish as much as I can and I believe it is positioned as best as i can. Also to consider is my location, the beam on a couple of birds is not that good for me so that 1 or 2% is benefitial.

I understand Norsat is top of the chain, however I have not come across any used or cheap norsats down here and due to my location I cannot realistically order from the US (shipping costs to Mexico via reliable fedex or ups run me an additional 50 bucks and thats if the seller is willing to ship it via those options) so that is why I am limited to those two options I posted if i dont wanna go over budget

What would be good to know is how much LO drift due to age and condition each unit may have. The only way to know is to install each one and scan a known frequency and see how close the scan result is. The suggested replacements have a little better noise spec than what you are you using.

the chaparral and pansat offered by the seller here in Mexico are brand new

As stated earlier,the Titanium C1 PLL is more stable than a norsat dro. Even with the extra cost of shipping the improvement is worth it.

Update:

After reading the suggestions on this thread I decided not to buy the LNBs offered and instead went and bought the CK1S C/KU lnbf from Titanium Sat.
I can report that I have gained at least 6% quality on the fickle (for me) CBS feeds at 97w. I am also even able to tune some channels at Anik F1 for which Im nowhere near the beam

1602150148470110.jpg

I am very happy with the gains I have obtained on the C Band side, as for Ku Band the beams of many satellites do not cover my area but I can still tune some stuff at 105W, 95W and 97w. I do have to say im noticing a bit lower quality with this on the ku band side as I had with my home made feedhorn, but i dont want to tinker with it too much as I dont want to lose the strength of my cband reception

My dish with current LNBF at 97W

1602150158550103.jpg

old homemade C/KU feedhorn

1602150201320112.jpg

Can these big dishes see 110, 119, and 129 to receive the local stations from all markets?

No you would need to buy Dish service for that. And then you get just one market?
And in any case,even if you could,you can't,Dish locals are all on spot beams pointed at their specific markets.So you only get the stations for whatever market Dish decides you're in.
With a big dish you can get the networks,most of the "sub" channels,such as ME,COZI etc,and lots of other things.You won't,however, get the "cable" channels,HBO,History,USA,ESPN,etc.Also with FTA,you don't want to get too attached to any one channel,just because it's here today doesn't mean it will be there tomorrow.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts