Help me pick my new FTA HD reciever!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

topay

Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
North Carolina USA
Hello,

I've currently been using a older hand me down Pansat 2500a hooked to a 10 foot C/KU bud.

I thought I had tracking issues as I was getting signal issues with the pansat, but found out this weekend that the unit is going bad.

SO.... I guess its time for a new reciever. I'd like to get a unit that can pick up HD channels, and is kinda ahead of the curve as far as technology goes.

But Here are my requirements.

I won't have it hooked to a HD tv, so it has to be able to down convert.
It can have a ASTV converter, for OTA local, but its not needed as I have a box for that already.

It could have a DVR function, but I don't really need it.

What I need it a reliable sensitive stable unit with the ability to pick up the vast majority of FTA signals out there. C/ku H/V and C are all availible to me, and I can Either use my 4DTV 922 to control the H/V funtion and dish movment or I could get a unit that has those functions too.

So what am I looking at? I looked at the Pansat 9200HD and its nice, but I have no Idea if its a good reciever.

Please give me a clue! What recievers are good ones?

Thanks

You're probably looking at one of the Azbox HD models. They are the best stb receiver for decoding the various format signals that we run into. Their ability to decode 4:2:2 chroma video feeds sets them apart from other contemporary set top boxes. We have an entire section devoted to this family of receivers, so you have a lot of reading to do.
:)

I agree completely:

I'm thinking AZbox (one of the models), and we have a whole forum sub-department devoted to 'em.

As a distant second choice, the SatHawk. I know a user with more than one, in addition to his AZbox.

Lot of it comes down to personal preference, and perceived needs.

I have Pansat 9200HD with S2 Plus card, Azbox Elite and Coolsat 8100

The Pansat stays plugged in more because it blind scans pretty well. But it doesn't do 4:2:2 like the Azbox does.

What is important to you? Channel editing on a PC? Blind scan? Internet connectivity for streaming and YouTube? 4:2:2? Stable operation? Frequent firmware updates? Ease of use?

When you say, "ability to pick up the vast majority of FTA signals out there", how do you intend to acquire those signals?

PS, Have you tried factory resetting your Pansat 2500a?

I'm thinking AZbox (one of the models), and we have a whole forum sub-department devoted to 'em.

As a distant second choice, the SatHawk. I know a user with more than one, in addition to his AZbox. ...

Are these units still having qwerks and bugs in them??? :confused:

Judging by some of the discussions on these units kind of made me put my

purchase on the back burner! Was there a lot of problems with the early units

or was it just trying to figure the units out causing things to happen??? Are

the newest models of the AZBox better than the earlier units???

I am hoping to get an AZBox soon! ;)

Dishman Dan,

Thanks to users inputs and feedback, the SatHawk PVR800 has tackled most of the bugs reported earlier. It has a very good Blind Search feature for both DVB-S and DVB-S2.

Dishman Dan,

Thanks to users inputs and feedback, the SatHawk PVR800 has tackled most of the bugs reported earlier. It has a very good Blind Search feature for both DVB-S and DVB-S2.

Thanks! That is great news! :)

The SatHawk was kind of "shotdown" at first in that thread and I quit reading

it after that!!! :eek:

I put it back on my wish list! ;)

The AZbox may one day be considered a boat anchor -- but until that day, it's the receiver I have my eye on. Time can change things quickly, though. Nobody gets excited about the Quali-Tv anymore.

Nobody gets excited about the Quali-Tv anymore.
when the azbox can do so much more than the Q why have one?

I still have one that all the analog ports blew up on it....so HDMI & AC-3 audio only works

when the azbox can do so much more than the Q why have one?

What I meant was when the next new versatile box can do what the AZBox does, but without the hiccups, the AZBox may find itself in the same situation as the Q. Of course, the new box may be a new model of AZBox. We are so close to a truly great stb for FTA.

I guess I'm looking for a box that has a good blind scan, and picks up legal FTA signals up there in any of the FTA formats. I can recieve C/KU H/V and KU circular.

I would like to be able to rename sats and channels to match the 4DTV 922 I use, and I'm not really interested in taking the reciever back into the offic to do computer updates (well not very often) I understand companies make updates to firmware, but I don't want to be using a reciver that needs constant updates to work like it should have right out of the box.

The internet youtube/hulu thing would be cool, but I'm thinking about getting a little Netfilx compatible box that will cover that aspect.

There are people using the Azbox with firmware from Jun 2009, very successfully. Many of the fireware updates haven't helped the US market at all. If you want to decode 4:2:2 video as well as 4:2:0 video, you have to get an Azbox. If you don't need 4:2:2 video, then the Pansat 9200 is your "mature" higher priced option, with the Sathawk ( Solomend 800) as your low priced choice. I suspect the 9200 is not being made, but is still available .
:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)