Help on setup - 10ft dish using BSC621

Status
Please reply by conversation.

14karat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Hernando, Mississippi
I have several things going on here so bear with me.
My setup: Coolsat 6000 with a BSC621. Using an analog HTS receiver as a mover. The actuator is a 24" HTS. I get between 5 & 6 counts per degree of movement. There is a bit of slack - especially on my southern sats (where the dish is balancing it's weight on the mount - any bit of wind will really affect the quality readings. But, as long as I'm past that breaking point, the weight of this dish takes care of this problem.
First off, I've spent the last 2 days getting my south alignment correct. I'm now getting high quality all the way across the belt. My current range is 65 to 125 (could be more if I had a 36" actuator!) I've managed to get quality readings in the high 90s all across. So I feel like I'm about as aligned as I can get.
(think I've said before how the digital stuff has me relearning everything I thought I knew about dish alignment!)
Now- the questions:
1. On the CoolSat, there was no sat entry for 89. I used one of the blank sats at the end of the list for it. I guess this works OK since I get Pentagon, etc. ok there, but, where's more info on how to get the latest maps on this thing (I have never dealt with one of these before.)
2. The BSC621 - there isn't an alignment arrow on it, but there is a 30...0...30 scale. I currently have the 0 aligned at 9:00 with the C-lnb at around the 5:00(ish) point, BUT, based on the CoolSat, it appears I'm 90 degrees out. For instance - KBZT on 123 is in THE LIST as 12114V 4340 but the CoolSat shows it at 11.964H 4.340, so what gives there? Another example that really seems weird to me is Pentagon on 89 - THE LIST: 4060H 28000, CoolSat 10.840V 28.000 - I'm confused...
3. I've already seen another thread on this one... Ku on 123... AHHHH!! I get KBZT, WAQT, etc in the mid to high 90s for quality, but I can't hit anything on the other TPs... what is going on with that? Are those other TPs a lot weaker? I know I can go with a smaller dish for the Ku (as I've done that elsewhere) but I just can't make sense of why it's not working on the 10ft'r.
Is there a way on the CoolSat for me to key in the specs of a channel so I can adjust the dish and feedhorn until I get a signal? I haven't found any way to do that...
Help?

Pentagon on 89 - THE LIST: 4060H 28000, CoolSat 10.840V 28.000 - I'm confused...
Pentagon on 89 is C Band.
Do you have a separate Sat for C and Ku, something like:
Galaxy 28 @ 89 West C - in the Setup Menu, LNB Freq / L.O. = 5150, proper 22KHz / DiSEqC serttings
Galaxy 28 @ 89 West Ku - in the Setup Menu, LNB Freq / L.O. =10750, proper 22KHz / DiSEqC serttings

My current range is 65 to 125
I get 55w to 137w with a 24", you may have to adjust the clamp on the Actuator.

The BSC621........ it appears I'm 90 degrees out.
Drive the Dish to your True South Sat, take the cap off the BSC621, then stand behind the dish, look into the BSC621, which way does the metal rod point - Horz or Vert?
Mine is Horz, my FTA receivers respond that this is correct, my 4DTV - I have to set "LNB rotated 90".

14Karat
everything Lak7 has listed is correct :) i too have mine setup in my coolsat 5000 & 6000 (2) for each satellite, one for c - band & one for ku that way you don't have to go in each time and change the settings in setup.

i actually have my bsc621 set at zero at about 5:30 on the clock

looks like i'm only a hour away from you :)

As far as my actuator range, I still have a bit left on both ends, and I've tweaked the limit switches to give me another 1-1/2" or so, just I've only tuned between 65 & 125 at this point. So I can reach a bit further - not real sure if a 36" arm would get me anything worthwhile as I'm still learning what all is up there!
As far as G28 @ 89 - I only have one dish entry for it, and I used one of the spares for that as it didn't have anything preloaded for G28. I've just got to tinker with this receiver more - I haven't found my way around in the menus just yet... the manual doesn't really help much - thought there may be some better details out on the net somewhere.
I'll try my hand at adding a separate sat entry for Ku and see where that gets me.
What's really killing me is 123 - why can't I get anything from the other transponders? It looks like I still have more tweaking to do!
One thing I will note about the BSC621, I really had to back it out of the scalar for Ku. I'll have to adjust the ring out farther to compensate because as it is now, it is flush with the inside of the scaler plate (not the rings). I'm still getting high quality levels across the arc, so I'm not entirely sure how much that will gain me.
Gabshere - "I know where you live" ;) heh - Born, raised, and lived in Lee Cty, (Marianna) until 6 years ago when work forced me to jump the Big Ditch into Hernando.
If you are talking driving time, you're probably better than 2 hours from me. It's an hour from my driveway to the Helena bridge...
But, you're welcome to drive on over and show me what I'm doing wrong!!! :)

One thing I will note about the BSC621, I really had to back it out of the scalar for Ku
That is not the best way to install the BSC621.
You should set it in the Scalar for the proper f/d ratio, then adjust the BSC621 and Scalar together to the proper Focal Distance.
Since the BSC621 does not have f/d markings, do you have another Feedhorn to copy from?

Yeah, that'll be the goal for next weekend, I'll have to loosen all the supports and adjust it out - major PITA since I worked for an hour to get it centered the first time! Hard to do this stuff in the dark!!!
I've told myself a couple of times that I was going to graft in some turnbuckles on the supports so they could be 'micro-tuned'... never have done that, but it sure does sound good...

<edit> - the only other feedhorn I have is a single C-band. Haven't tested it since I got it...

Oh, sorry... no it's a one piece feedhorn/scalar...
My dad is using a Corotor II, I may take some measurements from it... just hate messing with his as he has a 7' dish and it was a pain getting it dialed in...

no it's a one piece feedhorn/scalar
Same here, you can measure from the scalar to the mouth, and set the BSC621 the same -
Or, I brought the One Piece out to the Dish, placed the mouth up to the BSC'2 scalar and slide the BSC in until it hit the others scalar ring, if that makes sence.

If you are talking driving time, you're probably better than 2 hours from me. It's an hour from my driveway to the Helena bridge...

you probably right about the time :)
there are easier ways to add satellites , i use the channel editor and do it on my pc then upload it back to the coolsat

But, you're welcome to drive on over and show me what I'm doing wrong!!!

well probably couldn't tell you what your doing wrong. most of the time there are several ways to schive the same thing :) but what i find is an extra set of hands always helps :)
but if you need more help i can come :)

Ahhh.... Channel Master.... I have been enlightened. ('til now I thought CM made OTA antennas, etc.)
Ok... so now that I know this, anywhere I can download an updated channel list or do I have to make it up myself??

i actually use the basic editor for coolsat i find it simple and easy to use
some other people like to use CM it has more bells and whistles ( sorts fav channels ect)
i just use it to add transponders & add sattellites

i'm at work now but i have a list at home i can e-mail ya

Ok guys, I've been out here ALL DAY... I think I've finally got my polar nailed.
On C band, I'm in the mid-high 90s from 91 to 123. I can get channel specific if I need to...
I haven't checked a lot of Ku, but it's there EXCEPT...
123W Ku is really kicking my tail... I'm not entirely sure that I'm setting this thing correctly.
I have separate C & Ku sats setup... (these are from the stuff that Gabshere sent me) and when I'm scanning, I'm selecting the Ku setup.
But it is still pulling the C channels and not the Ku... what gives here?
Also, I'm not getting any signal with Ku there... I'm stumped as I can be...
I'm just now putting stuff back together so I can move back indoors....

BSC621- (1)Standard or (2)Universal?

If Standard, are you using an external DiSEqC Switch or the built-in 22KHz Switch to go from C to Ku?

Std (at least it's supposed to be - is there a sure ) & Internal
To a CoolSat 6000
Using an analog HTS for the mover (not that it matters, just fyi.)
Posting a quick pick in just a sec...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)