Help pointing at Anik F2

pablovi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Mexico city
Hi, I just got my 505 starchoice receiver, and I was able to find and point to the Anik F1 satellite, I get picture and sound on the 200 channel, but I can't seem to find the Anik F2 sat!

I'm in Mexico city and I'm using two 90Cm antennas.

When you go to options, system setting, installation settings, or something like that, the signal meter is dependent on what channel are you at?

I got a 90 quality signal and if I input the provider ID 4128 I get satellite name A4, but that's for Anik F1, what name should it be for Anik F2? and it's the same provider number?

According to my position I should use an Azimuth of 202.88° and an elevation of 65° to get Anik F1, and I think I got that, I got above 80 quality.
And I should use an Azimuth of 212° and an elevation of 63° to get Anik F2. So all I should is place the second antenna as the first one, and then move 10 degrees to the right and 2 degress down, but ther all I get is 20 in signal quality!

I really have no idea how to get the second sat! I have tried moving the antena around that area and I get no more than 21 in signal quality!

Do I need to do something special with the receiver? Are the two satellites that close that you just have to move the antenna very little? How will I know if I'm getting F2?

Thanks in advanced for any help you can spare.

I know the HD channels wont fill in until the receiver has authorization.....
I wonder if the rest wont fill in on Anik F2

559 is on AnikF2 so I guess you could dial that up and try to lock it...but the only issue is with 2 separate dishes yoiu could lock what you think is AnikF2 and actually be F1.

My receiver gives the same provider and name for SD & HD: provider ID 4128 & name A4, so that is no help to you. So like da 'Berg says try to get a signal on 559 since it is on F2, even if you are not subscribed to it you should still be able to check signal strength.

Thanks guys, it seem like the installers are bringing a sat finder, and I just got help from a guy in my city, that has Starchoice installed. It seems like I will be able to install it after all.

Thanks again!

I got a 90 quality signal and if I input the provider ID 4128 I get satellite name A4, but that's for Anik F1, what name should it be for Anik F2? and it's the same provider number
?

My generic dish is pointed at F2 only....it shows ID 4128 and A4.

and then move 10 degrees to the right and 2 degress down

This does't sound right. Anik F1R and Anik F2 are only about 4 degrees of longitude apart. I would suggest you check Global Communications Website.....their pointing data worked for me.

?

My generic dish is pointed at F2 only....it shows ID 4128 and A4.

This does't sound right. Anik F1R and Anik F2 are only about 4 degrees of longitude apart. I would suggest you check Global Communications Website.....their pointing data worked for me.

Thanks,

Well according to that website I got the same numbers.

For Anik F1 from Mexico city.... Elevation 65.4 Azimuth 203.5

For Anik F2 from Mexico city.... Elevation 63.4 Azimuth 212.6

So they are 9° degrees apart, pointing from this part of the world.

Quote from their website:

Please note that in areas of Southern Mexico and parts of Central America, the Skew or Polarity Settings of 107.3 versus 111.1 satellite may vary by as much as 10 degrees. (Normal difference is 4 or 5 at most in central Canada).
We do not recommend use of an Elliptical antenna in situations such as this. The new Anik F1R satellite, put into service on October 11, 2005, has greatly reduced coverage in regions south of Guadalajara, Mexico, where a well-tuned 75 cm Elliptical Antenna should work, although marginally during rainy weather. Anywhere to the south should check locally to see what size of antenna is being successfully used, if at all.

I'm getting the F1R with a 90cm Dish and i get 90 quality, so I think it should be big enough for that satellite.

I've have contacted a starchoice installer here in the city and he tells me that I can get a signal on F2 with a 90cm dish, but it might cut during rain, so he recommends a 1.2mts or even better a 1.8mts antenna.

He's coming to point the second dish tonight. I'm gonna be using the 90cm antenna right now that is the dry season and in a few months I will get the bigger dish.

Can you change the video output resolution, or is it 1080i only? Can I set it to 720p?

Thanks everyone for their help.

Can you change the video output resolution, or is it 1080i only? Can I set it to 720p?

There is a red button inside the front bottom-right side door. Cycle through watching the display until it says 720P.

There is a red button inside the front bottom-right side door. Cycle through watching the display until it says 720P.

Thanks!

Well, I finally found the Anik F2 sat, but it seems my 90cm dish is too small, I can't get 2 or 3 HD channels, and about 2 or 3 more can only be seen at times. Most HD channels are fine, and all of the Anik F1 are fine too.
It seems like a 1.2mts antenna might work, but I think I'm going for a 1.8mts one, just to be safe.

I finally have Starchoice! and in HD too!

Thank you everyone!

Regards.

Check the dB reading on channel 712 by calling up Options 6-4-7 and looking at Line C.
Compare this dB reading with those from any of your HD channels between 240 and 297.
It is likely that channel 712 is a minimum of 2 dB and more likely as much as 3 dB stronger than the HD formatted signals (all on same Anik F2 satellite).
Channel 712's signal level should compare favorably with that of any of your standard definition signals from Anik F1R.
If it does not, check the rotation of the LNBF to see if you can maximize the signal levels a bit more on Anik F2.

Check the dB reading on channel 712 by calling up Options 6-4-7 and looking at Line C.
Compare this dB reading with those from any of your HD channels between 240 and 297.
It is likely that channel 712 is a minimum of 2 dB and more likely as much as 3 dB stronger than the HD formatted signals (all on same Anik F2 satellite).
Channel 712's signal level should compare favorably with that of any of your standard definition signals from Anik F1R.
If it does not, check the rotation of the LNBF to see if you can maximize the signal levels a bit more on Anik F2.

thanks!

Well, it seems my dish is either not tuned right, or my dish is way too small! I can only see about 3 or 4 HD channels right now, and I think it will stay like that during day time.

On Channel 712 I have a weaker signal than on the 240 to 297 channels, but a higher db, but it's to small to be consistent. On SD channels I have a 8 or 9 db and on Channel 712 I have 5, but on the HD channels I have about 3 to 4.

The installer will need to come on monday again.

thanks again

Channel 712 is a standard definition channel, but it is on Anik F2, with the HD signals. Your other readings from Standard Definition channels are from signals found on the other satellite; Anik F1R.

Use channel 712 as your alignment channel on the Anik F2 antenna, as you have just confirmed that it does have an edge over the HD signals---which are within a dB of muting at the +2.0 dB level; so close to it in fact that normal propagation differences on an ordinary day will likely knock things out at certain times due to no margin. Since Anik F2 is a stronger satellite, the problem has got to be a less than adequate alignment of that antenna; try and get at least 5 to 6 dB reading on your HD channels; if not possible---you've either got a bad antenna or I would question your installer's skills.

Channel 712 is a standard definition channel, but it is on Anik F2, with the HD signals. Your other readings from Standard Definition channels are from signals found on the other satellite; Anik F1R.

Use channel 712 as your alignment channel on the Anik F2 antenna, as you have just confirmed that it does have an edge over the HD signals---which are within a dB of muting at the +2.0 dB level; so close to it in fact that normal propagation differences on an ordinary day will likely knock things out at certain times due to no margin. Since Anik F2 is a stronger satellite, the problem has got to be a less than adequate alignment of that antenna; try and get at least 5 to 6 dB reading on your HD channels; if not possible---you've either got a bad antenna or I would question your installer's skills.

Thanks!

I do think the antenna is miss aligned, but I do think it's a bit small too, some HD channels doesn't even have a signal, the small dish infront of the receiver turns red when you tune them.

And according to Anik F2 satellite footprint, I need a bigger dish.

I will get a bigger dish this week and align the dish using channel 712.

Thank you very much.

Regards

Thank you everyone for your help!

I finally bought a 1.8mts antenna and all is working great now, even with rain I don't lose signal!

I'm getting all of the HD channels during the entire day now!

Does CC works with hdmi? CC seems to work fine with the SD channels, but sometimes with the HD channels all I get is gibberish. Does any of you have this problem?

CC (close captioning).

Thanks again.

Thank you everyone for your help!

I finally bought a 1.8mts antenna and all is working great now, even with rain I don't lose signal!

I'm getting all of the HD channels during the entire day now!

Does CC works with hdmi? CC seems to work fine with the SD channels, but sometimes with the HD channels all I get is gibberish. Does any of you have this problem?

CC (close captioning).

Thanks again.
Yes, same CC problem here with two 505's. When it happens, all you can do is reboot by holding the power button on the 505 in for about 5 secs or pull the plug for a few. Also it might help to stay with all defaults on the CC User Settings (fonts, colors, etc.).
What software version do you have? I think F0 was more problematic than F6, so if you don't have F6 yet, maybe it will get better when it arrives. But F6 might break the HDMI if you are using AVR.
GL

Yes, same CC problem here with two 505's. When it happens, all you can do is reboot by holding the power button on the 505 in for about 5 secs or pull the plug for a few. Also it might help to stay with all defaults on the CC User Settings (fonts, colors, etc.).
What software version do you have? I think F0 was more problematic than F6, so if you don't have F6 yet, maybe it will get better when it arrives. But F6 might break the HDMI if you are using AVR.
GL

Thanks!

I have version F6. What do you mean by breaking the HDMI? And what is AVR?

I do get a HDCP message every once in a while.

Thanks again.

I do use a receiver, but only for audio, I have a direct connection between the HDTV and the 505 via DVI-HDMI converter cable, and then I use the coaxial audio out for sound to the receiver.

I have no problem other than that HDCP message, every once ina while and some audio dropouts, but it seem everyone is getting some kind of audio dropouts with starchoice.

I hope they fix this, I don't want to use component cables.

Oh they are going to fix it alright, they will be coming out with new receivers sometime this year or next. The tech dept. has confirmed that the HDCP problem with the 505 & 530 cannot be resolved.

This is the reponse I received by the technical staff at *C:

We are definitely developing receivers with an HDMI output. Star Choice and Motorola are still working together on the design stage. They have HDMI receivers on the market with other service providers in the States and Europe so it shouldn’t be a huge job for us to finish the product. As to a time-line, I wouldn’t be able to tell you when, just that we’re for sure coming out with one as soon as it is ready.
As to what the receivers will cost, I don’t have that information although we do realize the inconvenience this has put some of our customers through.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)