Help with outdoor antenna selection...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

swanrs

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
I'm just outside of chicago, and about 9 miles from the towers. I do have significant tree blockage. I'm going to install the antenna on my roof. Can anyone give me any advice on which directional antenna to get? Antenna.web says I need a "medium, directional" antenna.

Thanks!

I would suggest the Winegard HD7084P (or HD8200P if you want to go bigger) or channel master cm 3678 or cm3671. You will need a UHF/VHF antenna (because of chicago digital ch 3 transmits on vhf) of higher gain and would need to go a few sizes bigger because of the trees. A longer antenna will improve reception on ch. 3 . I would stay away from the multidirectionals...silver sensor, etc. beacuse they are poor with multipath and vhf reception.

Rick

Last edited:
I live in Corpus Christi,TX am not far from my towers:) but they are all running low power.:mad: I use a CM 4228 for my UHF and a Antennacraft CS600 for my VHF with rotator and CM 7777 pre-amp, works like a charm. :)

Attachments

• IM000758.jpg
    IM000758.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
which outdoor antenna would work best for me????

my problem is similar. i am in MD just outside DC. about 15 miles from most towers and most at around 330 degrees. i have about 2-3 fairly large trees in the direction i need to point an antenna. which outdoor antenna would work best for me? i am in the red area and an RCA amplified set top gets me the big 4 most of the time depending on the weather.

the silver sensor fron zenith seems to be the indoor antenna of choice on this forum. i think value electronics sells them. they are a vendor who supports this site.

blkbone33 said:
my problem is similar. i am in MD just outside DC. about 15 miles from most towers and most at around 330 degrees. i have about 2-3 fairly large trees in the direction i need to point an antenna. which outdoor antenna would work best for me? i am in the red area and an RCA amplified set top gets me the big 4 most of the time depending on the weather.

Post your Antennaweb results so we can see what you're going for. Do you want analog, digital, or both?

my antennaweb readings

here are my antennaweb readings. these are for the digital signals. i am really only worried about the DC signals.

* red - uhf WUSA-DT 9.1 CBS WASHINGTON DC 331° 15.8 34
* red - uhf WPXW-DT 66.1 i MANASSAS VA 283° 23.4 43
* red - uhf WFDC-DT 14.1 TFA ARLINGTON VA 329° 15.3 15
* red - uhf WTTG-DT 5.1 FOX WASHINGTON DC 332° 16.2 36
* red - uhf WRC-DT 4.1 NBC WASHINGTON DC 329° 15.3 48
* red - uhf WNVT-DT 30.1 IND GOLDVEIN VA 262° 31.0 30
* red - uhf WHUT-DT 33 PBS WASHINGTON DC TBD 331° 15.8 33
* red - uhf WMPT-DT 22.1 PBS ANNAPOLIS MD 54° 22.4 42
* red - uhf WJLA-DT 7.1 ABC WASHINGTON DC 331° 15.8 39
* red - uhf WBDC-DT 50.1 WB WASHINGTON DC 342° 14.9 51
* blue - uhf WETA-DT 26.1 PBS WASHINGTON DC 313° 15.2 27
* blue - uhf WDCA-DT 20.1 UPN WASHINGTON DC 331° 15.8 35
* blue - uhf WNVC-DT 57.1 IND FAIRFAX VA 302° 19.0 57
* violet - uhf WNUV-DT 54.1 WB BALTIMORE MD 29° 41.0 40
* violet - uhf WJZ-DT 13.1 CBS BALTIMORE MD 29° 40.9 38

blkbone33 said:
here are my antennaweb readings. these are for the digital signals. i am really only worried about the DC signals.
* red - uhf WUSA-DT 9.1 CBS WASHINGTON DC 331° 15.8 34
* red - uhf WPXW-DT 66.1 i MANASSAS VA 283° 23.4 43
* red - uhf WFDC-DT 14.1 TFA ARLINGTON VA 329° 15.3 15
* red - uhf WTTG-DT 5.1 FOX WASHINGTON DC 332° 16.2 36
* red - uhf WRC-DT 4.1 NBC WASHINGTON DC 329° 15.3 48
* red - uhf WNVT-DT 30.1 IND GOLDVEIN VA 262° 31.0 30
* red - uhf WHUT-DT 33 PBS WASHINGTON DC TBD 331° 15.8 33
* red - uhf WMPT-DT 22.1 PBS ANNAPOLIS MD 54° 22.4 42
* red - uhf WJLA-DT 7.1 ABC WASHINGTON DC 331° 15.8 39
* red - uhf WBDC-DT 50.1 WB WASHINGTON DC 342° 14.9 51
* blue - uhf WETA-DT 26.1 PBS WASHINGTON DC 313° 15.2 27
* blue - uhf WDCA-DT 20.1 UPN WASHINGTON DC 331° 15.8 35
* blue - uhf WNVC-DT 57.1 IND FAIRFAX VA 302° 19.0 57
* violet - uhf WNUV-DT 54.1 WB BALTIMORE MD 29° 41.0 40
* violet - uhf WJZ-DT 13.1 CBS BALTIMORE MD 29° 40.9 38

Since yours have a Broad Direction difference, a 4228 with a Rotor Should work great for you. An Indoor would be a hassle trying to get it tuned for the Diffrent Locations.

http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/4228.htm

http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/u106.htm

Last edited:
still trying to get this worked out!!!!

ok, i put up a channel master antenna and most channels are coming in great, esp. the big 4 and some pbs channels... but i still cannot get my upn channel (channel 20, frequency 35) this channel is at the same place as most of the other major channels. will adding a pre-amp or signal booster help? or am i just out of luck. i can get that same channel in my kitchen with an 8-inch tv with the antenna that came with it!

dougruss is right. I would get the 4228 or 4248 and a rotor. I've never heard someone say that they wish they hadn't got a higher gain antenna. When you put up a high gain antenna, preamp, rotor, and stuff like that you will become addicted to OTA. I love moving my antenna over to other DMA's and getting other channels.

Caution, NEWBIE question ahead!

I just received our vip211 HD box from DishNetwork to join our new Sony 34" hi-def wide-screen. (upgraded from 20" RCA 14 years old, yee ha!) I have successfully installed the diplexers and have pulled in a few stations from 30-40 miles north with whatever antenna/rotor is currently on my roof.

We live roughly 25-30 miles south of Lansing Michigan and about 55 miles west of Detroit, I need to replace a frozen/burned out 16 year old rotor and antenna to get the stations from Detroit/Toledo/Kalamazoo-Battle Creek, I could sure use some advice on the appropriate stuff to talk my wife in to letting me buy. (the wife comment was a hint that it can't be too expensive on our limited budget)

I have poked around reading the various posts here and having printed out and viewed the listings and color chart attached to the antennaweb.com site and I have to conclude that I am totally confused. I have a 20-30 foot tower hanging on the south side of our home with a very siezed Alliance rotor and a slightly bent UHF?VHF antenna mounted on it. I have it almost pointed north, (a few degrees to the west according to my handy Cub-Scout compass) and I actually pull in the major networks from Lansing (sans PBS) with an average strength at 70-77 points. (looks great too) So bottom line is this, can I use the existing antenna since it already appears to pull in the 30-40 mile away stations or do I get something bigger/better? And, what can I replace it with and should it have an amplifier added to it? I am curious also to know if an amplifier on the tower needs a power supply to it or does it get power thru osmosis? I have a Winegard DA-1118 amplifier currently attached to the antenna coax in the basement. Not sure if it is helping or hurting my reception as it only pulls (40-100mhz) but it does work and I left it in the circuit. Should I unplug/bypass it to help the signal out?

Thanks folks and I hope I have provided adequate information here,and if any of you good folks here could help me out I would be quite greatful.

Sean

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)