Here is how I plan to retaliate for the NFL ST HD Tax {RANT!}

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well I have not shipped just yet, but I will tomorrow. I plan to post the letter that I send with it. PC at home is dead though, damn Dell USB ports just up and quit of all the stupid things. I will post my letter tomorrow in case anyone would like to borrow from it. i do plan to cite the note in the other thread that none the of HD STBs have the interactive capabilities, much less my HD TiVo.

Here it is ... a proofread would be nice ;)

Mr Chase Carey

I am writing you today concerning my general displeasure with DirecTV service. I have been a subscriber for 7 of the last 8 years if I am not mistaken and I am upset with some of the decisions DirecTV has made in the last 2 years. I am contemplating a switch to Comcast if I am unable to attain satisfaction.

My issues consist of the recent price hikes for the NFL Sunday Ticket, general programming price increases, Lack of High Definition programming and the over-compression of your standard definition programs. I have been around the satellite community for quite a while and I know what represents quality.

First, adding the NFL's HD games to a “SuperFan Pack” and asking for another $99, pardon me, now $49 is not reasonable. I understand that DirecTV has incurred substantial costs in make the NFL Sunday Ticket. However, those costs should be the burden of DirecTV and not the consumer, at least not in such a substantial amount. Already, there was a $40 price increase in the overall cost of the package from last year. That is “fair” if DirecTV continues to provide the same level of service, which they have not. DirecTV has removed the High Definition games from this value so realistically the price for the package should drop $40. There is no additional cost, other than bandwidth, to carry these events, not by the NFL. Is the real cost of these hikes reflected in the trinket marketing tools such as the yellow flag enclosed in this letter? I believe they are. No value is added to the High Definition subscriber as DirecTV does not even have an HD receiver that is capable of ANY interactive features offered by the SuperFan package.

Next, I know you are aware and have heard grumbling about the overall picture quality of the service. If not I am shocked, as many of of spend time daily reviewing such things at various forums on the Internet. The quality of DirecTV has fallen off substantially and steadily since 1998. Due to over-compression of the signal. I know MPEG4 will relieve some of this and I know you have launched 2 satellites with a third scheduled for July. Do you intend to allocate this bandwidth and compression technology correctly so that the quality of your product is improved or are you only concerned with quantity?

While I would like to discuss the overall lack of HD programming, when compared to Cable TV, I shall refrain. You should know that your high-end subscribers are expecting that SpaceWay 1, 2 & DirecTV 8 had better knock our socks off. I know the policy of DirecTV does not allow for discussion up upcoming program additions ... but we are ready and there are HIGH expectations.

Regards,

cr0mag said:
Just the thought of some less than pleasant smelling mail to D* is making me happy.

Did you ever stop to think that in the post 9-11, post anthrax attack era, any mail with anything out of the ordinary in the way of appearance or smell will probably be destroyed unopened, if not tracked back to the sender? Not to mention how juvenile the whole thing is starting to sound...

I have been sending back unwanted mail items for years. I just love to send back stuff in the envelope provided with prepaid postage like credit cards companies send. Amazing how much stuff you can shove into an envelope when you really want to and not have to worry about the postage yourself.

My son starts kindergarden on Aug 16, 2005. From what "rumors" are going around, the new MPEG4 HD-DVR may not even be out till the summer of 2006. My location is #54 on the list..............Aug, 17, 2005 I just might be buying a tube of silicone to fill the holes in my roof...........and from then on.... OTA with my $600 Sony HD300 STB....forget Time Warner.........never again. :no

I have enjoyed D*........very much..........its time to move on.....they haven't........2 months & 4 days......they have had long enough.

Barney

Your Rants

WHAA WHAA WHAAA what a bunch of whiners. Gimmie gimmie gimmie I want it all for free more more more . Why does everyone think they should be entitled to all this for free ? DTV offeres over 100 games in HD and alot of new super fan features that NOBODY will have thru the rest of this decade and this should just be given to you cause your a big crybaby and your mommy used to spoil you and you think that now you have a right to be spoiled the rest of your life. This kind of service costs millions to produce.
Try going back down to your new car dealer and whine about not getting REAL leather interior and see if they upgrade you for free. You think gas prices are to high ? ask the dealer for a discount cause you dont want to pay that much
Heres a clue ... Life is tuff and sometimes unfair...get used to it

Jaded13 said:
WHAA WHAA WHAAA what a bunch of whiners. Gimmie gimmie gimmie I want it all for free more more more . Why does everyone think they should be entitled to all this for free ? DTV offeres over 100 games in HD and alot of new super fan features that NOBODY will have thru the rest of this decade and this should just be given to you cause your a big crybaby and your mommy used to spoil you and you think that now you have a right to be spoiled the rest of your life. This kind of service costs millions to produce.
Try going back down to your new car dealer and whine about not getting REAL leather interior and see if they upgrade you for free. You think gas prices are to high ? ask the dealer for a discount cause you dont want to pay that much
Heres a clue ... Life is tuff and sometimes unfair...get used to it
Tell us about your mother...

You are right, life is not fair and those of us that are wise do whatever we can to level the playing field rather than sit back and take what is handed to us. It is because of people like you that communism spread so rampantly. It is because of people like me that you enjoy your freedom to bitch at those like me that whine about being over charged. Scott correctly called it an HD TAX because it is an increase without supporting cost.

Oh, and it is not free. I pay DirecTV $200 a year to provide me with all the NFL games, and for the last two seasons HD games were at no extra cost. With blackout restrictions they are already shorting me ... I'll not let them take the next step.

So what now ..........

OH MY GOSH are you retarded or what The nfl changed the blackout rules 2 years ago... NOT DTV if you have a problem with blackouts write to the NFL to change their policy DTV is a rebroadcaster and has to abide with the rules be it F.C.C. nfl etc.
I enjoy my freedoms as I served in Viet-nam to help stop the spread of communism
People like me are sick of the gimmie people that feel entitled somehow
Here's a clue turn off the TV and get a life, read a book ,if you can, and stop letting the tube control your life

Jaded13 said:
OH MY GOSH are you retarded or what The nfl changed the blackout rules 2 years ago... NOT DTV if you have a problem with blackouts write to the NFL to change their policy DTV is a rebroadcaster and has to abide with the rules be it F.C.C. nfl etc.
I enjoy my freedoms as I served in Viet-nam to help stop the spread of communism
People like me are sick of the gimmie people that feel entitled somehow
Here's a clue turn off the TV and get a life, read a book ,if you can, and stop letting the tube control your life
Whoa! for a second there I thought Candygirl had returned. Friend your service to your country is greatly appreciated by all and as a fellow VN vet who did 19 mo 17 days there you are trying to critisize people here of 2 of those freedoms which are the freedom of speech and expression, something we were trying to teach an oppressed people over 30yrs ago. One thing that you obviously did not learn in the Military is never be afraid to ask cause all "they" can say is no!! And thats all we are doing here. If our ancesors did not fight taxation without representation then you might be speaking another lauguage!! In MHO you don't really like the freedoms you "fought" for. Sounds like a REMF to me. IMHO

Okay, SilverSurfer, I took the attack offline in the form of PM, which I am certain you will hear about :p I actually made many typos in my PM but I think they have been corrected in the post.

Here is the relevant part of the PM refraining from personal attack:
Thanks for your service in Vietnam.

Unlike you I have written a letter to Paul Tagliabue himself and requested the NFL change the policy so I know where it comes from. Like that ever did anyone any good ... Jerry Jones and his checkbook have a lil more umph than a request from me.

I did ask for a freebie, I asked for FAIRNESS ... even a 230 charge would have gone unnoticed by me and the other members of the board. "It would have been make this stinks, but I'll pay." The increase was based upon HD games and HD in case you missed the FCC ruling in 1996 is the STANDARD BROADCAST FORMAT.

I prefer to read on the internet ... then I am able focus on several different mediums, instead of just one.

raymo721 said:
If our ancesors did not fight taxation without representation then you might be speaking another lauguage!!

So would the other language be "proper english"? :D

I don't want to get in the middle of this, but put your last comments in perspective..... There is no comparison to what happened over 200 years ago and the NFL ST. Time to put things back in perspective.

Are we fighting an unjust tax or not?? Might be a distant comparison but Its the same thing. I admit it might not have been the best one I could have come up with!! I'd look rather silly in one of those wigs!! LOL

LMAO good pint, I mean point! I be much preferin these hea' broken languages we gets in the US! :D

It is not really a tax but it does represent to HD only viewers a 46% price hike for NO CHANGE in the product, and that is where my complaint stemmed from. My house is down to 1 receiver, an HD TiVo, and I cannot get SuperFan enhancements on it.

Next year I am not as apt to complain since I'll have an HMC that will support it all ... unless of course D* was $425 next year. For that kind of dough I want to be kissed first!

Don't get me wrong here, be my guest to fight the power!!! I love that, but don't make me say 'bugger' or 'cheers'!!!

I don't know ... I have always like calling people "wankers" it has that politically correct ring to it in a meeting, but people still know what you mean!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)