History HD - Today?

I assume everybody else got it but there is/was a "TEST" channel. 5710 I think. It was Discovery HD Theater.

History Channel HD.

I can tell you guys that a lot more HD channels are coming to Dish twards the end of September. But I dont have any more details then that. (So please don't ask, I want to know as much as you guys do) :)

SCott do you think that DISH will still be the leader in hd by the end of September or will they be playing catchup to the hd explosion promised by Directv? I sure hope that DISH will add channels that people actually watch all the time like Sci-Fi,Tbs, USA, FX, etc.

SCott do you think that DISH will still be the leader in hd by the end of September or will they be playing catchup to the hd explosion promised by Directv? I sure hope that DISH will add channels that people actually watch all the time like Sci-Fi,Tbs, USA, FX, etc.

So do I but the channel has to exist first. TBS-HD is supposed to debut this month, USA-HD maybe by the end of this year, SCI-FI-HD and FX-HD not until sometime in 2008.

NightRyder

You haven't evidently seen the "Get History-HD and 38 other HD channels" ads that have been running all of August. ;)

Still D* needs to have an explosion of HD just to catch up to Dish. Even then Dish will likely be able to ad a lot of HD. Ad in the Voom channels and Dish very likely could retain the lead.

But then we will have to factor in a bunch of complications to calculate who's in the lead.

1. Dish's 9 HD-PPV Do those really count?
2. D* 's NFL:ST channels. They are not full time.
3. Premium channels. How much weight to you give to these?
4. Voom channels. Can they really be considered as valuable as other full time HD channels?
5. RSNs. On E* they are part time, D* they are full time. But you only get the one or two that are in your area.

Just stuff like this will be a pain the arguments that are sure to ensue.

Voom channels always seem to get trampled as "not as valuable". I tend to watch a ton of FilmFest, World Cinema, Monster and Kung Fu TV. On occasion I watch the Family HD channel and RAVE (which had concerts with a first air date of 8/5/07 and 7/16/07 yesterday so it's not "all repeats")

So, are the Voom channels "real" HD channels? YUP! To me they are more valuable than A&E, Animal Planet, and MHD!

See ya
Tony

History Channel HD... is 720p
:up :up
I think it is unfortunate that 1080i was even proposed. We certainly don't need interlace in the 21st Century, but we desperately need bandwidth.
A standard of 720p would have made pro equipment cheaper, and providers would be able to provide PQ closer to the original - simply because the bandwidth needed for each channel would be less.
The majority of HDTV sets are native 720p and those with 1080p sets could still enjoy the higher resolution of HD-DVD.
PS It's currently looking that - unless they are allowed to count "Season Ticket" channels - DirecTV will never have more national HD channels than Dish Network.

I sure hope that DISH will add channels that people actually watch all the time like Sci-Fi,Tbs, USA, FX, etc.

People watch TBS, USA, Sci-Fi and FX all of the time? I never watch any of them. I must not be a people.:confused:
I just don't see the appeal of watching commercials in HD, sorry let me rephrase that watching shows that have nothing but commercials plastered all over the screen while trying to watch a show in HD. The last thing I watched on any of these stations was the Twilight Zone marathon on July 4th and I'm willing to bet that TBS hasn't been watched in my household in over 3 years. Hell the only stations I will even think about watching that has anything to do with Turner is TNT for basketball only and I will watch Cartoon Network. I got turned off of trying to watch anything on these stations a few years back while trying to watch a movie. I was able to watch 9 minutes of move followed by 5 minutes of commercials and during the 9 minutes of movie the bottom of the screen was telling me to be sure and watch the next movie and that this movie was going to be replayed 3 hours later and don't forget to watch some other show that is on TNT.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the shows on these stations are not worth watching, I'm just saying I can only handle so much advertising while I pay to watch it.

I watch FX a fair deal.. The others I could take or leave. However, if TBS is going to have postseason baseball, I do think in HD is a must and I would watch then.

The only thigns that aren't in HD for me, some of which aren't Dish's fault:

* My local FOX Affil, because they suck and are only in 480i digitally over the air anyway.
* FX, for my Rescue Me, The Riches, etc. needs.
* Com Central, for my Scrubs reruns, South Park, Sarah Silverman Show (if I'm desperate), Com Central Presents, etc.
* NESN, for my Red Sox needs.
* FSN NE, for those times TAMU is playing football and it's on FSN.

It really could be a lot worse. I'd love to see all the Starz in HD, maybe some day... :)

720p looks better to me than the 1080i anyway, i know my eyes ain't the best in the world or maybe my brain is thinking all prog. is better than interlaced anyway :)

People watch TBS, USA, Sci-Fi and FX all of the time? I never watch any of them. I must not be a people.:confused:
I just don't see the appeal of watching commercials in HD, sorry let me rephrase that watching shows that have nothing but commercials plastered all over the screen while trying to watch a show in HD. The last thing I watched on any of these stations was the Twilight Zone marathon on July 4th and I'm willing to bet that TBS hasn't been watched in my household in over 3 years. Hell the only stations I will even think about watching that has anything to do with Turner is TNT for basketball only and I will watch Cartoon Network. I got turned off of trying to watch anything on these stations a few years back while trying to watch a movie. I was able to watch 9 minutes of move followed by 5 minutes of commercials and during the 9 minutes of movie the bottom of the screen was telling me to be sure and watch the next movie and that this movie was going to be replayed 3 hours later and don't forget to watch some other show that is on TNT.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the shows on these stations are not worth watching, I'm just saying I can only handle so much advertising while I pay to watch it.

THese channels are all available in the top 100 pack , except FX, which most people subscribe to and there fore would watch. AT the prison I work at ,we have Usa, TNT,TBS, along with Espn 1, Espn 2 and the Cnn headline news. IF inmates get them as part of basic cable , then most people watch them.

THese channels are all available in the top 100 pack , except FX, which most people subscribe to and there fore would watch. AT the prison I work at ,we have Usa, TNT,TBS, along with Espn 1, Espn 2 and the Cnn headline news. IF inmates get them as part of basic cable , then most people watch them.
See I think your logic is wrong there. Here is how I see it. If the channels are in the lowest tier then nobody watches them except for ESPN because of carriage agreements. I see it as the channels everybody wants to watch are put in the higher tiers because if everybody wanted to watch the stuff in the low tier then nobody would subscribe to the higher packages. It's all about the money.:hungry:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)