HOA! GRrrrrr

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I totally agree. I'm a senior in college and when I get out into "the real world" I refuse to buy a house and have a non-governmental agency that is accountable to no one tell me what I can do with my property.

You might fall in love with a girl that has a house in a HOA. Good luck on you last year of college.

Well my friendly good for nothing neighbor turned me into the HOA police. My dish is a slimeline mounted on a pole less than 12 feet. Unless I'm wrong I'm well within my rights. My covenant restricitons appear to be in violation of FCC rules. They state the following. 1) It can't be seen from the street 2) The device looks natural:mad:
You have no problem...Your HOA cannot by law tell you where you can place a satellite antenna less than one meter in diameter unless your home is located in a Registered National Historic District...
go to this link and print out the rules.http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html. Keep a copy for yourself and hand it to the HOA people...In fact get a receipt signed by them ackowldeging receipt of a copy...Next. Rest easy..Your HOA can scream ,yell cry , fart, threaten
or promise to hold their breath until they turn blue..It makes no difference..Your HOA has not a leg to stand on....Then one more thing..Tell your interloping busy body neighbor that having nothing better to do with his time than worriying about what you are doing shows signs of a self loathing malcontent.

Last edited:
Well my friendly good for nothing neighbor turned me into the HOA police. My dish is a slimeline mounted on a pole less than 12 feet. Unless I'm wrong I'm well within my rights. My covenant restricitons appear to be in violation of FCC rules. They state the following. 1) It can't be seen from the street 2) The device looks natural:mad:
Oh yeah..here's that link...http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

There are at least 3 dishes down my street I can see. This mentality that it is hideous and needs to be removed I really don't understand. I was willing to do what I could to make my fellow neighbor happy but now I don't care. He parks in front of my house on the street and has a hound that can howl at night. I will report all these things I use to keep quite. They want to be ugly I can be ugly also. I just don't understand this. Oh well JIHAD!!!!:mad:

Screw that douchebag and do nothing ..Why put yourself for the desires of some whiny assed jagoff who thinks he can make trouble for others...I am having evil thoughts right now of what I would do to this guy if he was my neighbor...You don't want to know how many stealthy dirty tricks i could get this a$$hole with...

yes he is and has been here for about six years. I've been here for 14 years. My wife use to be the president. He seemed amused I was so mad but that is okay. It isn't coming down. He gave me some BS that a picture of the satellite was already sent to the HOA. The guy that came over to tell me I had to take it down quickly backed off when I told him I wouldn't because I was in my rights and then he went into how my other neighbor couldn't sell his house because of it then contradicted himself saying it already was sold and then he told me he was leaving and selling his house. How could something as temporary as a dish lower house values? The house that sold next to me was priced about 50,000 more than it should have. Could have the high price kept it from selling and not a dish?
By his mention of home sales then his threat to sell his house indicates this moron is in the final stages of desperation..Next time you see him indicate to him that to you he is a flyspeck in the ocean.....

I totally agree. I'm a senior in college and when I get out into "the real world" I refuse to buy a house and have a non-governmental agency that is accountable to no one tell me what I can do with my property.

HOA's were started with the idea of making sure that when you bought a house in a nice neighborhood your property value would increase. However you have the HOA's Nazi's that get the power and think this allows them to dictate everything that they feel affects the value of thier home or neighborhood. For example, if you buy a house that is valued at $200,000.00 and the poophead next door gets pissed for some reason or another and he puts in a smelly pigfarm, or won't clean up his yard and it attracts rats and other vermine, and either drops your property value or makes it so you cannot sell than yes a HOA has value based on the restrictive covenent you sign when you buy in that neighborhhood that says you will not be a douche bag. However, this is not what they have become. For the most part they are now a bunch of old retired guys and gals with what they percieve as power over everything you do. I had a HOA tell me that i must remove my dish off of my condo, I sent them, thier attorney and my attorney a letter with the OTARD rules and they backed down immediately.

and the poophead next door gets pissed for some reason or another and he puts in a smelly pigfarm, or won't clean up his yard and it attracts rats and other vermine, and either drops your property value or makes it so you cannot sell than yes a HOA has value based on the restrictive covenent you sign when you buy in that neighborhhood that says you will not be a douche bag.

But that's the thing. Things like this that you mention would be illegal according to my cities codes and the city will take care of it. If you don't mow your lawn in our city and someone complains...and you don't take care of it after the city contacts you then the city will mow your yard for you and charge you by putting a lein on your house. Let's just say most people mow their yards. ;)

Maybe HOAs are mostly in non-organized townships and such so that there aren't any city codes that will take care of these things?

HOA's were started with the idea of making sure that when you bought a house in a nice neighborhood your property value would increase. However you have the HOA's Nazi's that get the power and think this allows them to dictate everything that they feel affects the value of thier home or neighborhood. For example, if you buy a house that is valued at $200,000.00 and the poophead next door gets pissed for some reason or another and he puts in a smelly pigfarm, or won't clean up his yard and it attracts rats and other vermine, and either drops your property value or makes it so you cannot sell than yes a HOA has value based on the restrictive covenent you sign when you buy in that neighborhhood that says you will not be a douche bag. However, this is not what they have become. For the most part they are now a bunch of old retired guys and gals with what they percieve as power over everything you do. I had a HOA tell me that i must remove my dish off of my condo, I sent them, thier attorney and my attorney a letter with the OTARD rules and they backed down immediately.

One of the things I don't understand is that there has always been a dish on my house as far as these people know. They bought the house next to me with a dish on it. At one point I had to put the dish on a 25 foot pole attached to the house. It looked horrible but nobody complained. Why complain now on a ten foot pole? The neighbor across the street from me which has the best view never complained and was actually supportive. When I told him I was thinking of buying a bush he said it wasn't necessary but he gave a few suggestions.

I just don't understand some people. Making an enemy of neighbor all over a satellite dish. I've always been nice to the guy but I always got the feeling he saw that as a weakness on my part.

There is one easy way to resolve the issue.
1. Make sure you are in compliance with the legal parts of your convenants.
2. Q: Who do I call if my town, community association or landlord is enforcing an invalid restriction?
A: Call the Federal Communications Commission at (888) CALLFCC (888-225-5322), which is a toll-free number, or 202-418-7096, which is not toll-free.

Call them, and let them know what illegal actions your HOA is trying to enforce.

Great idea, until Joe Dirtbag moves in next door, and turns his yard into a junk yard. Then when you go to sell you are SOL. Been there, done that.

As you guys have pointed out, HOA's are at best a mixed bag-we live in a gated golf course community and we have one. When the HOA is taking care of common property well and keeping your neighbor from starting his pig farm, you like the restrictions and covenenants. When the HOA is keeping you from doing something you ever so REASONABLY want to do, then you don't like the HOA so well.

The point to this discussion and similar discussions on this Forum is that the HOA cannot attempt to enforce a restriction which directly violates preemptive federal law.

Our objectives here are to help one another get great video, and pointed reminders to everyone that you can put up reasonable antennas and dishes to do so are right on.

All things considered, (we both have law degrees and Mrs. Camper is a real estate law expert) we really looked at it hard and ultimately considered the price of having some jerks in the HOA was worth protecting our retirement dream home.

Anyone have a jerk next door with a huge boat he keeps parking too long in his driveway until he is threatened with fines? Huge bright colored boats don't even bring a good picture.

By the way-as a retired guy who spent several years as a trial lawyer, I can tell you that it's almost always better to work it out somehow. Seldom does anything lasting and good come out of turning a bunch of lawyers loose on a dispute between irritated people. I don't like lawyers.

There is one easy way to resolve the issue.
1. Make sure you are in compliance with the legal parts of your convenants.
2. Q: Who do I call if my town, community association or landlord is enforcing an invalid restriction?
A: Call the Federal Communications Commission at (888) CALLFCC (888-225-5322), which is a toll-free number, or 202-418-7096, which is not toll-free.

Call them, and let them know what illegal actions your HOA is trying to enforce.

I really hope it doesn't get to that point. I hope they will be happy with bushes covering the pole. I don't mind doing that. Since it is right under a tree I'm looking into bushes that grow high enough with little sunlight. Perhaps climbing ivory would also work?

As you guys have pointed out, HOA's are at best a mixed bag-we live in a gated golf course community and we have one. When the HOA is taking care of common property well and keeping your neighbor from starting his pig farm, you like the restrictions and covenenants. When the HOA is keeping you from doing something you ever so REASONABLY want to do, then you don't like the HOA so well.

The point to this discussion and similar discussions on this Forum is that the HOA cannot attempt to enforce a restriction which directly violates preemptive federal law.

Our objectives here are to help one another get great video, and pointed reminders to everyone that you can put up reasonable antennas and dishes to do so are right on.

All things considered, (we both have law degrees and Mrs. Camper is a real estate law expert) we really looked at it hard and ultimately considered the price of having some jerks in the HOA was worth protecting our retirement dream home.

Anyone have a jerk next door with a huge boat he keeps parking too long in his driveway until he is threatened with fines? Huge bright colored boats don't even bring a good picture.

By the way-as a retired guy who spent several years as a trial lawyer, I can tell you that it's almost always better to work it out somehow. Seldom does anything lasting and good come out of turning a bunch of lawyers loose on a dispute between irritated people. I don't like lawyers.

I agree that it is always best to work it out. This guy skipped me and went straight to the HOA. He has lived here four years and a few years ago he got involved in the HOA. Now he thinks he owns the lane. If I had always had problems with him I wouldn't be as upset. I've been nothing but nice. As far as being in compliance with my covenant they are impossible. It is suppose to look natural looking and you need to get a letter from everyone on the street saying it is okay to put it up. You find 30 people that will agree on anything. How do you make a dish look natural?

As far as the boat thing. He has it parked up the street a few days at a time various times of the week. It is a beautiful boat. I guess that would upset some people but not me. Besides the guy is very nice and I've never had a problem with him. I've never even been inside the HOA office and I've lived here for 12 years.

I really hope it doesn't get to that point. I hope they will be happy with bushes covering the pole. I don't mind doing that. Since it is right under a tree I'm looking into bushes that grow high enough with little sunlight. Perhaps climbing ivory would also work?

I hear you there. You might try what we did in our HOA. There was a lot of discussion about the dish covenant that we had. It was illegal, they were telling us it HAD to be to the rear of your house. That was impossible as some of the houses back up to a conservation area. After some lengthy discussions we had our HOA attorney look into it. He told us it was illegal and had his staff correct it to comply with the FCC regulation. It now reads:

Section 26. Antennae, Aerials and Satellite Dishes.
The Federal Communications Commission has published rules which govern the right of homeowners to receive programming from direct broadcast satellites (DBS), multi-channel, multipoint distribution (wireless cable) service (MMDS) and television broadcast stations (TVBS).
The Association is prohibited from the following:
(1) Restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennae to receive video programming as well as satellite dishes which are less than thirty-nine (39) inches in diameter.
(2) Restrictions that unreasonably delay or prevent, or unreasonably increase the cost of, the installation, maintenance or use of such antennae, or which preclude the reception of an acceptable quality signal.

The Association does have the right to regulate the above-described telecommunications equipment with respect to landscaping and safety. When possible, all exterior antennae or aerials shall be placed in the rear or side yard, in such a manner as to be as unobtrusive as possible. Any matter of safety will be handled on a case by case basis by the Association.
Any homeowner who wishes to install an antenna or a satellite dish should submit a sketch showing its location relative to the home to the Architectural Control Review Committee.

HOAs sound like a group of people who need to get a hobby.

I could agree to a covenant that had certain rules in it when I buy the house, but the fact that new rules can be added in that I don't agree to, and the HOA is not accountable to any governmental agency or process, is very scary. What if they say that I can't drink alcohol inside my house? What if they say I can't smoke inside my house? What if they say I can't smoke outside my house? (I don't smoke by the way)

Can HOA rules be challenged in court? Are HOA board elections held to the same standards as city council or county comission? If HOAs were actual government agencies then OK. But wait, that's what we have city councils and zoning laws for.

And in terms of finding a girl who has a house in a neighborhood with an HOA, she might find a guy with a house that isn't in one :)

I hear you there. You might try what we did in our HOA. There was a lot of discussion about the dish covenant that we had. It was illegal, they were telling us it HAD to be to the rear of your house. That was impossible as some of the houses back up to a conservation area. After some lengthy discussions we had our HOA attorney look into it. He told us it was illegal and had his staff correct it to comply with the FCC regulation. It now reads:

Section 26. Antennae, Aerials and Satellite Dishes.
The Federal Communications Commission has published rules which govern the right of homeowners to receive programming from direct broadcast satellites (DBS), multi-channel, multipoint distribution (wireless cable) service (MMDS) and television broadcast stations (TVBS).
The Association is prohibited from the following:
(1) Restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennae to receive video programming as well as satellite dishes which are less than thirty-nine (39) inches in diameter.
(2) Restrictions that unreasonably delay or prevent, or unreasonably increase the cost of, the installation, maintenance or use of such antennae, or which preclude the reception of an acceptable quality signal.

The Association does have the right to regulate the above-described telecommunications equipment with respect to landscaping and safety. When possible, all exterior antennae or aerials shall be placed in the rear or side yard, in such a manner as to be as unobtrusive as possible. Any matter of safety will be handled on a case by case basis by the Association.
Any homeowner who wishes to install an antenna or a satellite dish should submit a sketch showing its location relative to the home to the Architectural Control Review Committee.

That sounds reasonable. If I could have I would have put it in the backyard. The trees that will eventually do me in however have trees behind them. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy in charge of the architectural committee. I'm hoping he will be reasonable and be happy with the bushes or something else to cover it up. If he wants to get ugly my wife is an attorney. If you know me causing trouble is not part of my personality. This is making me sick. Thank you for your input and advice.

I could agree to a covenant that had certain rules in it when I buy the house, but the fact that new rules can be added in that I don't agree to, and the HOA is not accountable to any governmental agency or process, is very scary.
The only way that rules can be added if is they are voted on and excepted by a majority of the members of that HOA. No one group or person can make up any new covenants. There are state laws that govern how HOAs must operate and they have to abide by them.

What if they say that I can't drink alcohol inside my house? What if they say I can't smoke inside my house? What if they say I can't smoke outside my house? (I don't smoke by the way)
HOA do not make any such rules, like you stated, on what you can do within your home. Other than things like running a business out of a residential home, which that is not allowed by most local governments. Their objective is to keep the community clean looking, make sure home values stay up, and make sure external changes made to homes are being done properly.

Can HOA rules be challenged in court? Are HOA board elections held to the same standards as city council or county comission? If HOAs were actual government agencies then OK. But wait, that's what we have city councils and zoning laws for.
HOAs are not governmental agencies, but I stated above are governed by state laws.

There are two types of HOAs.
1. The ones that have their board of directors, on ego trips and think they have to run their community as a dictatorship.
2. The ones that focus their concern on keeping the neighborhood nice looking and keeping property values up.

I am glad to say ours is a #2 type. When their are problems or questions they will make sure they will make sure everything is done correct and legal.

You are under absolutely no obligation whatsoever to make your dish look natural. Are we getting the message here? You can have your dish and put it in the most economical place for good reception. Period. That's the law. The HOA cannot add BS or expense on top of that.

Help! Help!

Not to change the subject too much but HOAs ARE telling people what they can do within their homes. It has gone to court several times. It is over smoking. Each time the HOA has lost...until a few weeks ago when one did win. That one is now going up the court chain.

Guys,
What goes around comes around...(again.)

In another life, before I was a clear eyed satellite guy, I had customers that were HOAs. Some of the more "gated" communities had CATV (Community Antenna Television) systems that were state-of the-art in about 1976. Every meeting had to do with why "my unit" had suckie TV and "everybody else" has cool TV.

They pumped many bucks into their analog antenna system, tried to get the cable company (later CATV) to take over their system. All to keep TV antennae from the roofs.

Ill report back next time I roll through there. Bet there are a few DTV & DISH rigs in sight.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.