Home hardware (wiring)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WTguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
We have purchased another house and will be moving in the couple of weeks.

The previous owners had Directv and I noticed that every location where they had a television they have a HDMI cable coming out of the wall. The usual rg6 cable is also nearby. So I am wondering the exact use of the HDMI cable. Is that for Directv or some other function. The house is only 3 years old.

The previous owners had Directv and I noticed that every location where they had a television they have a HDMI cable coming out of the wall. The usual rg6 cable is also nearby. So I am wondering the exact use of the HDMI cable. Is that for Directv or some other function. The house is only 3 years old.
Maybe the HDMI cables from the DirecTv receivers to the Tvs were embedded in the wall. You need to track down the other end of the HDMI cable.
Or maybe you can ask the previous owners (through their realtor)

Sounds like they may have had a central location for recvrs and ran HDMI to the TV location.
I would look around and see if you can locate that.

Bottom line is that, as far as I know, HDMI is only used for audio/video transfer and nothing else -- if that's also what you were getting at.

Bottom line is that, as far as I know, HDMI is only used for audio/video transfer and nothing else -- if that's also what you were getting at.
You can use HDMI in more complex ways then just audio and video. HDMI can be use to control other devices as well as part of the CEC protocol and it also has an Ethernet channel which can be used to share data between (among) devices.

You can use HDMI in more complex ways then just audio and video. HDMI can be use to control other devices as well as part of the CEC protocol and it also has an Ethernet channel which can be used to share data between (among) devices.
Ok, but is this true in the context of a DirecTV Genie DVR? I'm asking out of ignorance.

you can turn HDMI -CEC control on in the genie menu as well in a AVR or a TV for control - You can Take the HDMI output of the genie and add a Powered HDMI Splitter (additonal 4 outputs) and connect them to other rooms HDMI - Mirror the same channel on all TV's for the price of one receiver.

Have your Realtor get the info from the previous owner. I left the new owners my detailed wiring diagram when I sold my old house a few months ago. All my wiring went from each room to a central wiring closet. My dad did the same when he sold his old house last year.

If someone buys my sisters house in the future, they might have questions without the wiring diagram as most of the wiring goes to a central closet, but there are 2 dedicated HDMI cables running between the master bedroom and living room that were used when they had a 722 and mirrored it, before getting hoppers and a joey. There is one for the computer running between the office and living room too. There is also an extra pair of speaker wiries running from the living room to the patio for the outdoor speakers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)