Home Network Diagnistics

stimpson

Miller Lite Tester
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Benton, Arkansas
Looking for a program or app that can tell me the health of my home network. Having some issues with the Sling app dropping in and out. It will start out with a strong connection at 3500+Kbps on my WiFi, then after about a minute drop to less than 300Kbps and goes to a black screen. Same issue over 3G. Not sure if it's my network, or the latest SW update on my Dish Hoppers.

No program can diagnose everything, I'm sure there are plenty that can help, but the best way to start is with a network diagram or at least this part: What network pieces & parts live between the Hoppa and the viewing device?

The problem is somewhere within your house since you're able to duplicate it there. Of course, 3G could have problems of its own but you won't notice those until you get the local network fixed.

I guess what I'm looking for is to see the strength of my WiFi, and to see if it's dropping in and out. The only thing in my set up that has changed is the SW updates on the "Hoppa".

i use an app called "wifi analyzer" free from the android market on my android devices...it shows wifi strength/channel/signal band.........not sure what type of devices you have.

Home networks are generally not overly complex....have a hard look at your modem and router.

Thanks for the info fellas. I just found a WiFi Diagnostics app burried in the CoreServices folder on my MBP. I'll run it when I get home and see what it comes up with.

This will only find some problems. The WiFi analyzer only sees networks broadcasting a SSID and not cordless phones and microwaves that can kill WiFi networks.

Here are some specifics on my set up. Apple Time Capsule downstairs, with an Apple Airport Exterme set up in WiFi extend mode upstairs. Hoppers and Joeys connected to the network via a HIC (Hopper Internet Connector). The ethernet from the HIC connects to the Time Capsule via HomePlug. Broadband and MoCa on all Hoppers and Joeys indicate full green. Have from day one. When trying to use the Sling apps, they will start out with a strong signal, then drop out. Example, on my home Wifi they start out at around 3XXX Kbps, then will drop to exactly 632 Kbps. Then bounce between 0-632 Kbps. Now, with my MBP sitting next to my iPad with a 0-632 Kbps black screen, I can view my Hoppers content through Dish Online, and maintain a strong signal with no drop outs at all. So, i'm thinking my Wifi network is functioning well enough to support what i'm trying to do.

No. Just confused as to why my MBP can be so stable, and the IOS devices running the Sling app fall out. They all have to access the same WiFi.

The hardware inside them are probably different.

Sent from my Transformer TF101

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)