HomePlug built into the 622, How cool is that?

Can't believe I hadn't read this thread. Very good info here.
I was thinking about asking that it be made a sticky, but I really should just write it all up in a nice PDF and post that instead. I've just been too lazy. :D

Install the Netgear software (I downloaded it from their site) and you can get a likely speed measurement between the device and your 622. I have a picture of the software doing just that in one of my examples.

I.

There is the drawback; Battery backups and Surge protectors which can block out the frequencies used to communicate over the power lines. The Dish Receivers and the PLIDs will usually have to be plugged directly into an outlet. I will however state that we do use regular old "power strips" here all the time for PLIDs. I kinda use the power strips as a "HUB" for the PLIDs. Cheap power strips seem to have little or no impact on throughput for these HomePlug PLIDs.

What kind of old power strips do you use? I would like to use the same stuff you have since we know it works for you. Thanks.

I have used a bunch of these from Staples.

Staples 6 Outlet/1045 Joule Surge Strip

s0154529_enl.jpg

Nothing too exciting.

If the more expensive surge protectors interfere with the home plugs ability to function properly and the cheap ones don't, I would think the level of protection in the cheaper ones is not that good. Could be wrong though.

If the more expensive surge protectors interfere with the home plugs ability to function properly and the cheap ones don't, I would think the level of protection in the cheaper ones is not that good. Could be wrong though.

They may protect from surges but they don't employ the EMI/RF filters.

They may protect from surges but they don't employ the EMI/RF filters.

I went to Staples to check them out, they're $15.79. I also checked the back and the label says that it does have EMI/RF protection something like 43 dB.

I passed on it since I can just buy a 14 ft. ethernet cable for $9.00 at Frys.

My homeplug worked with my returned 622 and now my new 722, even though on differant breakers...however, I had to plug them directly into the wall because with the surge protector, they would stay connected, probley to much "noise"?

My homeplug worked with my returned 622 and now my new 722, even though on differant breakers...however, I had to plug them directly into the wall because with the surge protector, they would (not) stay connected, probley to much "noise"?

No, the surge protector acts like a low pass filter and blocks the 2-30MHz HomePlug signal.

Hey neat. I just checked my bill and it looks like that $5 phone line fee is FINALLY gone for good.

It took them a little over two months, but apparently HomePlug-connected receivers now officially qualify as 'connected'.

Cyclone, you're gonna make me a rich man! I haven't explored DishComm or HomePlug but this opens up all kinds of upsells. I can sell the homeplug adapter, homeplug routers, multiple homeplugs for homeowners wanting secure networking, etc. I sell TII surge protectors which have homeplug so if a customer buys the homeplug adaptor but wants surge protection, he'll need to buy my surge and take that Monster back to the store. I've been doing so many 722 installs I can probably spike my average upsell with this. Now that I see that the phone line fee comes off with networking and that DOD is available, I can really push these things.

Most importantly, this ought to help with customer retention as Cox doesn't have VOD out here and none of their video stuff is broadband capable.

Would be awesome if DISH offered email that could be sent to your receiver and let you know onscreen you have email.

;) My consultant fees are very reasonable.

If the want security, then they will need to use a PLID at the 722 and the router. If security is not a concern, then one just at the router will work fine.

Good luck.

;) My consultant fees are very reasonable.

If the want security, then they will need to use a PLID at the 722 and the router. If security is not a concern, then one just at the router will work fine.

Good luck.

I hope they are worried about security, just one more product to sell them.

Actually the same security features available in stand alone HomePlug adapters are built into the 622 and 722 (It's built into the INT5200 chip in hardware). Echostar just needs to add some software to the receivers so that you can turn it on or provide the netword ID for the built-in HomePlug card so that you can turn it on over the network.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)