Hopper S229 / S230 Feedback!

New issue for me tonight. Fired up the Hopper to watch some DVR'd shows, and when I hit the DVR button it took a second or two for that menu to popup, then it took a bit for the tiles to load. Have not seen slowness like this. Started watching a show to FFW'd thru the first commercial break, and I hit the FFW button twice for x15 and no status bar or "x15" popped up until I was almost all the way thru the commercial break. It was fast forwarding fine though. Seems to be laggy.

This Hopper software upgrade/update/upurhiney thing is getting old. I have been putting up with it, since I don't really watch much.....some college football and some weekly programs. I recorded almost everything during the election process, to miss the ads, and that worked pretty well, as I lost no recordings, that I know of. I dislike the fact, the Hopper loses audio when searching. Sometimes, it just locks up, if I try to find, or go back to, or replay somehing in a program. Reboot mandatory. Lately, it's been just rebooting to p*** me off, I'm sure. I doubt it's hot, as the house is now cooler in fall/winter. The wife is now retired, so the house is cleaner than it's ever been....can't be dust/dirt in the cabinet. When it gets more than 3 times a day, I'll try for an exchange. I posted elsewhere about the OTA channels dssappearing EVERY day, and have to be rescanned. Waste of $30. Ain't technology great?? My "old" 922 was just soooo much better. Shudda just got half dozen of them.

New issue for me tonight. Fired up the Hopper to watch some DVR'd shows, and when I hit the DVR button it took a second or two for that menu to popup, then it took a bit for the tiles to load. Have not seen slowness like this. Started watching a show to FFW'd thru the first commercial break, and I hit the FFW button twice for x15 and no status bar or "x15" popped up until I was almost all the way thru the commercial break. It was fast forwarding fine though. Seems to be laggy.

Had that same issue last night, after about 15 minutes it cleared up. Interesting...

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app.

Jason Whiddon said:

Have seen this twice, almost like the cpu is busy doing something in the background and getting bogged down.

Are you eastern or western arc?

Hoppers are on Western Arc. I got the S229/S278 update (and subsequently the S230/S278 update) on all the receivers nearly a month ago.

I was just wondering who is still stuck on S222/S271 if anyone.

EDIT: Looks like everyone should have the new software by now.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been mentioned before.......When watching a show while it is still being recorded (happened at least twice during Dexter), if I start at the beginning and hit "skip ahead," it jumps 15-20 minutes into the show instead of 30 seconds. I'll try some other shows to see if this happens on any other channel than Showtime, but I suspect it will.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before.......When watching a show while it is still being recorded (happened at least twice during Dexter), if I start at the beginning and hit "skip ahead," it jumps 15-20 minutes into the show instead of 30 seconds. I'll try some other shows to see if this happens on any other channel than Showtime, but I suspect it will.

Sweet. A fellow Dexter fan!!!! Yes. I have seen this also.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:

As have I. Hadn't correlated it to viewing a recording in progress, I'll have to watch for that. I don't do that very often, usually wait until the next day, especially for the ones that will have auto hop.

Does anyone know if Dish is working on correcting the slowness in the Hopper responding that was introduce with S230?
There's definite lag time there.
Ghpr13:(

This has also has happened to us and just this last week too while watching Dexter. I just always blamed it on the wife since she is always so impatient and a little heavy on pushing the skip forward.

Back to the Autotune problem I am having which is interesting.... I have standby disabled which is confirmed and a daily autotune timer set for 3AM. It appears to work on most days on the weekdays and then stops working. Then it works again as when I turn the tv on at 11:40AM, the box says "Press Select to watch tv", what is more interesting is that I have the hopper set to record on the same channel at 11:30AM for 1 hour show and when I look at the buffer, the beginning is the time when I pressed the select button but the DVR did record the show from 10 minutes earlier at 11:30AM so there is definitely something wrong as isn't the box supposed to be in non-standby mode when it is recording?

Had my first menu slow down yesterday.
I finally had my 722k running perfectly after months and months of slow menus, only to upgrade to a Hopper that does the exact same thing. Just my luck.
A red button reset fixed the problem, but it is sad to see Dish still having this issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)